Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

It is almost certain that there will be no support for the RX 6000?

Last edited:
I do not have a crystal ball but I think we will see drivers for 6 series AMD cards. GPU in Apple silicon chips is really weak compared to modern GPU from AMD/Nvidia. If they want to keep high end computer for 3D tasks, they have no option today.

I have a RX 5700 XT and do not plan to change it since 6 series are unavailable and cost far too much. They do not have ray tracing too.

We all know that the end is coming. Except you need and/or have an old computer, IMHO, investing in a hack with a 1000+ euros cards for only 2-3 years is crazy when you can buy a M1 mac mini for less than this and upgrade your actual PC to whatever you want.

This is my 2 cents.

It is almost certain that there will be no support for the RX 6000?

I don't know. I'm just speculating... But with the iMac Pro discontinued and rumors of the iMac going to Apple Silicon real soon now, that leaves just one more Intel based Mac left, the Mac Pro. I don't know if Apple will bother to waste time and effort to release drivers for that system.

I've been able to sell my Radeon VII and replace it with 6800XT back in December when the stock was trickling in. I do have doubts, but I think Apple will most likely not abandon millions of the existing intel Mac users. It's not just the Mac Pro users, but also those who rely on eGPU solution for editing/rendering work. Unless Apple can provide a discrete eGPU solution with their own propriety GPU, they cannot let the existing intel Macs out there die with the previous generation GPUs. I've been a lifelong Mac user since the days of McIntosh II, but, and have multiples macbook pros and iMacs along with a homebrew hackintosh, but if they pull such a move to dry out their existing users for their new platform, I for one will never give another dime to Apple. I am hoping Apple as a company will have decency to support their existing products until the transition is complete and they are able to offer propriety technology that can match the capability of the existing one.

I've been able to sell my Radeon VII and replace it with 6800XT back in December when the stock was trickling in. I do have doubts, but I think Apple will most likely not abandon millions of the existing intel Mac users. It's not just the Mac Pro users, but also those who rely on eGPU solution for editing/rendering work. Unless Apple can provide a discrete eGPU solution with their own propriety GPU, they cannot let the existing intel Macs out there die with the previous generation GPUs. I've been a lifelong Mac user since the days of McIntosh II, but, and have multiples macbook pros and iMacs along with a homebrew hackintosh, but if they pull such a move to dry out their existing users for their new platform, I for one will never give another dime to Apple. I am hoping Apple as a company will have decency to support their existing products until the transition is complete and they are able to offer propriety technology that can match the capability of the existing one.

Have you seen the performance of the Apple Silicon Macs with FCPX? I don't think they need any eGPU solutions for Apple Silicon Macs. Like I said on a desktop where power consumption and heat are less of an issue, they can easily scale up the GPU on the M1 SoC.

I also question whether there are millions of Mac users (not hackintosh users) with eGPU boxes. I think it's a very niche segment

Apple did abandoned millions of Nvidia Mac users. Apple mercilessly killed 'Shake', the compositing fx software used by Hollywood (Lord of the rings), without blinking an eye. Right now the chance of 6000 series getting support is 50:50. That's it.

Apple did abandoned millions of Nvidia Mac users. Apple mercilessly killed 'Shake', the compositing fx software used by Hollywood (Lord of the rings), without blinking an eye. Right now the chance of 6000 series getting support is 50:50. That's it.

Apple didn't drop support for Nvidia cards. All the GPUs that shipped with Macs continue to work with macOS.

Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers for Nvidia GPUs that never shipped with Macs.

Apple didn't drop support for Nvidia cards. All the GPUs that shipped with Macs continue to work with macOS.

Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers for Nvidia GPUs that never shipped with Macs.
I don't think anyone knows the full story behind the Nvidia / Apple breakup. Nvidia had updated drivers ready to go and Apple wouldn't allow them to be signed for installation. With Nvidia constantly proving they are just a shady corporation, I wouldn't doubt if there was more to the story.

I don't think anyone knows the full story behind the Nvidia / Apple breakup. Nvidia had updated drivers ready to go and Apple wouldn't allow them to be signed for installation. With Nvidia constantly proving they are just a shady corporation, I wouldn't doubt if there was more to the story.

There's no way Apple can prevent Nvidia from releasing drivers. Apple doesn't sign the drivers. Nvidia just needs a developer account and they sign their own drivers.

If Apple told Nvidia they can't release drivers, would Nvidia say okay and walk away or would they sue Apple for everything they are worth for anti-competition practices?

Does Nvidia need approval from Microsoft to release Windows drivers? Does Nvidia need approval from Linus Torvalds to release Linus drivers?

Only Nvidia can stop Nvidia from releasing drivers.

Back