Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

The incentive that you speak of are the current owners of MacPro Machines who spent tens of thousands of dollars on an upgradable machine. Apple would upset many by not providing a simple kext to their whale customers

According to apple there are further intel machines that apple will be continuing manufacturing. Your statement is almost correct; Navi 5000 series card is the last card that has been supported *so far*

Apple is unable to attain Navi 5### cards because they are no longer produced due to manufacturing capacity of TSMC 7nm

There are kexts literally named Navi6000 in beta versions of MacOS - those kexts are made by apple

None of this means they will be supported, but surely you can see the points above as to why so many disagree with you
I sympathize for sure. I wished for support on an eGPU for my 16. Where I’m having doubts is due to the serious lack of drivers back when NVIDIA was supported. But it’s always possible something does get supported. If it does I still think it’s the last.

Big Navi used to boot Big Sur, albeit unaccelerated, but as of 11.3 beta1, the window server fails to load with only big Navi in the system. This is curious because the big Navi radeon6000framebuffer loads. so there still is some support in macOS. The usb-c drivers load.

Additional support may be on the way soon, as amd just released new drivers for Linux kernel 5.11, as well as windows too.

My RX 6900 XT, the only card in the system, booted fine with BS 11.2 beta 1 and still boots fine with beta 2.

My RX 6900 XT, the only card in the system, booted fine with BS 11.2 beta 1 and still boots fine with beta 2.
I think the post you are replying to was referencing 11.3 beta not 11.2 beta.

I think the post you are replying to was referencing 11.3 beta not 11.2 beta.

For some reason my previous replies to your comment have been deleted. I could understand that if we were discussing a DEVELOPER beta but 11.3 beta 2 was released as a PUBLIC BETA over 4 days ago.

If you see this before it is again deleted, it was a typo by me and I meant to say that my RX 6900 XT is fully bootable in all 11.3 betas.

If the admin who keeps deleting my reply could explain why it is being deleted I would be obliged - I don't want to be breaking any rules but I don't know which rule I am breaking as this is a PUBLIC beta and comments by other members have not been deleted whilst discussing this very thing.

For some reason my previous replies to your comment have been deleted. I could understand that if we were discussing a DEVELOPER beta but 11.3 beta 2 was released as a PUBLIC BETA over 4 days ago.

If you see this before it is again deleted, it was a typo by me and I meant to say that my RX 6900 XT is fully bootable in all 11.3 betas.

If the admin who keeps deleting my reply could explain why it is being deleted I would be obliged - I don't want to be breaking any rules but I don't know which rule I am breaking as this is a PUBLIC beta and comments by other members have not been deleted whilst discussing this very thing.
No worries, I kind of thought so, and yes. I think since its public beta, 11.3 beta 2 should be allowed now and not breaking any rules.

The public beta version is now on beta 3 as of 22 minutes ago. I'm sure there are no changes to this, but there is always hope right?
Not this time. No support. Maybe 11.4 beta 1, in a month or so.

Thanks for the update. Waiting patiently and hoping for some good news to be handed to us by the Apple gods.

This is so frustrating! Apple says it's up to AMD to write the drivers when I ask, and AMD says to talk to Apple!

Why can't they just make a statement and put everyone's minds at rest?

This is so frustrating! Apple says it's up to AMD to write the drivers when I ask, and AMD says to talk to Apple!

Why can't they just make a statement and put everyone's minds at rest?
Sounds exactly like what Nvidia said. Looking like the same conclusion, but time will tell.

Back