Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I did that. But nothing to be thankful for as I can't even get into a game! :lol:

Ok, I did that. Went into Safe Mode, uninstalled all the drivers (AMD/NVidia/Intel) and then restarted. It still crashed even without re-installing any of the drivers again. That does sound like a hardware problem then doesn't it? If so it can only be the motherboard I guess. Which would be annoying as this is the second Vision D I'm on, after having to RMA the first one because it wouldn't run just one GPU at full lane width in the top PCIE slot!
It may be worth asking on TweakTown if there is a new bios you could try. They list the Z490 Vision G but not the Vision D atm.

It may be worth asking on TweakTown if there is a new bios you could try. They list the Z490 Vision G but not the Vision D atm.
It’s only until the support for the 6800 is released, so I’ll just keep swapping the power to the cards for now. Once that happens the 580 will come out so there won’t be any problem.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Je viens de recevoir la carte par la poste ce matin.

Il remplace un 5700 XT qui fonctionnait bien sur Big Sur, OpenCore 63.

Le reste de mon système:

I7-8086k
MSI Z370I

Le dernier journal système affiche une erreur «PerfPowerService», client non autorisé sur AMDRadeonX6000_AmdGpuWrangler dans la configuration pci-bridge @ 0.

J'ai essayé ce qui suit jusqu'à présent:

- J'ai forcé mon bus pci à 3x
- supprimé agdpmod = pikera, essayé de le rajouter, changer la définition en MacPro1,1 via board-id.
- Ajout d'un iGPU dans le BIOS
- essayé radvesa

Si vous souhaitez partager votre expérience ou si vous souhaitez aider, faites-le moi savoir!

Démarrer les fenêtres pour le moment.

À votre santé
agdpmode = pikera "" connection HDMI""

Which slot is your old Radeon installed into ? I put mine in the first slot. And the big boy 6800xt is in the second slot via a riser cable... it’s vertically mounted. Probably shouldn’t make a difference.

The 6000 series is impressive... I hope macOS drivers come soon. There’s already some support. At least one of the Radeon kexts loads... for big Navi, but not the framebuffer kext.

Another thing you could consider trying is putting the old Radeon into an eGPU and connecting it to thunderbolt. But you may have to flash your controller to activate thunderbolt bus for it to work in macOS... just a thought if you don’t want to have to keep opening your case when you want to run windows vs Mac.

Which slot is your old Radeon installed into ? I put mine in the first slot. And the big boy 6800xt is in the second slot via a riser cable... it’s vertically mounted. Probably shouldn’t make a difference.

The 6000 series is impressive... I hope macOS drivers come soon. There’s already some support. At least one of the Radeon kexts loads... for big Navi, but not the framebuffer kext.

Another thing you could consider trying is putting the old Radeon into an eGPU and connecting it to thunderbolt. But you may have to flash your controller to activate thunderbolt bus for it to work in macOS... just a thought if you don’t want to have to keep opening your case when you want to run windows vs Mac.
6800 is in slot 1, 580 is in slot 2.
Agreed, i’m really happy with the performance gains i’ve had in Windows! Regarding the eGPU enclosure, it’s a great idea! Just not one i’d be willing to consider at the moment due to cost vs amount of time it would be needed! Thanks for your suggestions though.

When you run with two cards installed, are you also swapping the monitor cables over when you switch between OS's?

I realise this may be a stupid question, but nobodies mentioned it :)

I think I mentioned before. So yes, you need to swap at least 1 cable. Having in mind if your monitor has 2 Hdmi and one DP it might be possible to link 2 hdmi cables into it, each one linked to a hdmi 1 or 2 version, but I think swap cables is common path. I use hdmi from 570xt and one DP, so one DP cable is the only one moved from and to 6800xt (because I want both monitors linked to DP for WOS). The choice remains at everyone imagination and limited to technical specs used. If you have driver support and 2 cards which doesn't run at very different clock speeds, put the cards in CrossFire (an alternative) which is not the case for MOS... so yes, swap cables...

Last edited:
My monitors have multiple DisplayPort and hdmi inputs. So both cards are independently wired up to my monitors via dedicated cables. I just change over inputs using the monitor controls, depending on which card I want to use.

No swapping necessary for my workflow.

When you run with two cards installed, are you also swapping the monitor cables over when you switch between OS's?

I realise this may be a stupid question, but nobodies mentioned it :)
That was the plan. Single HDMI cable that would get swapped between the cards depending on what OS I want to boot.

Makes sense - I thought that was probably the case but thought it worth asking. I'm kind of on the fence about buying a second card or waiting, but having spent months around the original 5700XT upgrade waiting to get driver support (and having to physically swap the RX580 for the 5700XT), I wanted to avoid going through that kind of messing around again :)

Swapping cables isn't too bad though, one of my monitors has two HDMI and a DP, the other one has a single DP and then DVI which I have a DVI -> HDMI adapter for, so this would sorta work out OK :)

Back