Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I am patiently waiting for the release of the driver in the next iteration of the OS. Does anyone know how Big Navi will fare in metal? I am Davinci Resolve/FCP user and am hoping that my 6800XT will perform better with metal than with openCL in windows environment. The initial review from Puget System was pretty lackluster. I still have my Radeon VII for production work, but my hope is that 6800XT with proper driver support will do better than the aging Radeon VII.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...vate-underscores-ongoing-graphics-partnership

AMD CEO says Apple's M1 chip is opportunity to innovate, underscores ongoing graphics partnership​

"The M1 is more about how much processing and innovation there is in the market. This is an opportunity to innovate more, both in hardware and software, and it goes beyond the ISA," Su said. "From our standpoint, there is still innovation in the PC space - we have lots of choices and people can use the same processors in a lot of different environments. We expect to see more specialization as we go forward over the next couple of years, and it enables more differentiation. But Apple continues to work with us as their graphics partner, and we work with them."

Do you keep both cards always in your pc and when you switch to mac just disconnect cable from rx 6800xt? I have 6800 and 5700xt but i don't know if is safe to keep both installed in pc.
Yeah, as long as you got the cooling, it should be perfectly fine to have 2 GPUs in the same system.

Do you keep both cards always in your pc and when you switch to mac just disconnect cable from rx 6800xt? I have 6800 and 5700xt but i don't know if is safe to keep both installed in pc.

If your MB has a PEG connector on it you should connect it if you have multiple graphics cards installed. It provides extra power to the PCI bus to support that configuration (twin cards).

If your MB has a PEG connector on it you should connect it if you have multiple graphics cards installed. It provides extra power to the PCI bus to support that configuration (twin cards).
Even if you only use one card at a time? I have a strange problem ongoing, but didn’t think to try this.

Before Xmas I got my 6800, and installed it in PCIslot 1, moving my RX580 down to slot 2. I would move the HDMI cable between cards, depending on what OS I would be booting. All worked fine. Cyberpunk on ultra settings, all good. Didn’t use the computer for a few weeks over Xmas. Now my computer boots into either OS just fine, but after a minute in Windows, the computer just freezes up completely. No mouse, keyboard, absolutely nothing to be done except a reset by holding the power button. MacOS runs perfectly from the 580 with both cards installed. I took the 580 out to test Windows, lo and behold, no more freezing. Put the 580 back in - and it freezes after a minute or so in Windows. The strange thing is, everything boots fine, its snappy and responsive - until it isn’t.

The computer was off the whole time I was away, so there were no updates etc. One day both cards worked fine in my system, a few weeks later, Windows throws a fit! Super weird.

Even if you only use one card at a time? I have a strange problem ongoing, but didn’t think to try this.

Before Xmas I got my 6800, and installed it in PCIslot 1, moving my RX580 down to slot 2. I would move the HDMI cable between cards, depending on what OS I would be booting. All worked fine. Cyberpunk on ultra settings, all good. Didn’t use the computer for a few weeks over Xmas. Now my computer boots into either OS just fine, but after a minute in Windows, the computer just freezes up completely. No mouse, keyboard, absolutely nothing to be done except a reset by holding the power button. MacOS runs perfectly from the 580 with both cards installed. I took the 580 out to test Windows, lo and behold, no more freezing. Put the 580 back in - and it freezes after a minute or so in Windows. The strange thing is, everything boots fine, its snappy and responsive - until it isn’t.

The computer was off the whole time I was away, so there were no updates etc. One day both cards worked fine in my system, a few weeks later, Windows throws a fit! Super weird.
I will do this today and put both cards in my system. Same rx 6800 and i put rx 580 instead rx 5700xt to see if behive the same. I let you know in few days.

I've been running two GPUs - 6800 in slot 1, Vega 64 in slot 3 - for the last month and it's working fine. In macOS I use an SSDT to disable the 6800, and in Windows I use "Disable Driver" to disable the Vega 64.

I did briefly try running Windows with the Vega 64 enabled, but I started getting lower frame rates and jerky action in the game I was playing. Not 100% certain it was connected to enabling the Vega 64, but I disabled it again to be sure. I haven't connected that extra power cable for running two GPUs, which I guess I should if I plan to have them both enabled. I did wonder whether maybe the 6800 wasn't able to draw as much power with the Vega 64 enabled and that caused it to run slower, though I'm not sure if it works like that; I'd have expected a crash or blue screen if I had power issues, not lower performance.
I am patiently waiting for the release of the driver in the next iteration of the OS. Does anyone know how Big Navi will fare in metal? I am Davinci Resolve/FCP user and am hoping that my 6800XT will perform better with metal than with openCL in windows environment. The initial review from Puget System was pretty lackluster. I still have my Radeon VII for production work, but my hope is that 6800XT with proper driver support will do better than the aging Radeon VII.
I also run DaVinci Resolve and saw that Puget review and it was quite disappointing. However, as you mention, I took solace in the fact that they tested on Windows using OpenCL. Windows Resolve doesn't use AMD's Vulkan, and OpenCL is known to be much weaker than NVidia's CUDA.

I believe macOS' metal is regarded as a pretty capable and powerful compute API; potentially a rival to CUDA, albeit much newer. Therefore my hope is that Metal + AMD will be much more competitive compared to CUDA + NVidia than OpenCL + AMD is.

When the 6000 series GPUs are supported in macOS I plan to do a benchmark test, comparing Resolve in Windows using OpenCL vs Resolve in macOS using Metal. My hope is that I see noticeably better performance in macOS. I don't have an NVidia GPU to compare against, but if macOS Metal does outperform Windows OpenCL then that would be some indication that that Puget comparison benchmark isn't applicable to video editing on macOS.

Regardless of API, once fully supported in macOS I'm sure 6000 series GPU will outperform a Radeon VII.

Even if you only use one card at a time?

Yes, it is probably mentioned in your MB manual. It does in mine.

Extract from MB manual....

(Note 3) When two or more graphics cards are installed, we recommend that you connect the power cable
from the power supply to the OC_PEG connector to ensure system stability.

Yes, it is probably mentioned in your MB manual. It does in mine.

Extract from MB manual....

(Note 3) When two or more graphics cards are installed, we recommend that you connect the power cable
from the power supply to the OC_PEG connector to ensure system stability.
Yes I remember reading that. I just assumed it was for SLI/Crossfire etc. Seeing as the computer worked fine in both OS before Xmas, it seems strange to all of a sudden not be able to handle it. I’ll look it up and see if I still have instability!

So I'm guessing im gonna need big surr if I want to update from my 5700xt liquid devil. It's a shame, big Sur is very problematic still for audio production.

I also think my most recent build will be my last hackintosh.. M1 plus lack of GPU options won't make it viable.. 10 + years of hackintoshs isn't a bad run :)

Back