Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Having a single machine for gaming and work (and run windows in fusion if needed), using the same screens and peripherals for both, being able to use Logic Pro natively, restart and play Cyberpunk 2077 at 90fps are great reasons to be disappointed by the departure from intel and proper boot camp, no matter how good Apple Silicon is :)

It's probably one of the last times we can do it but I'm far more excited by it than getting proprietary faster silicon and working on 2 rigs.
I agree, and I was doing it from very long time as I had only laptop (y50-70) that worked with hack out of the box despite dedicated gpu that was pain in the a$$. When RX drivers will come I'd swap my main work on Hack, working on 21:9 34' monitor is just perfect (not even talking about gaming). But I also feel buying MB Air M1 was the best thing I could do as I moved off from laptop to PC I still have opportunity to work anywhere not just sitting in one place on pretty powerfull and quite machine!

Btw in CP77 I had just 62-75 fps thats sad

How long did it take apple to support AMD RX 5000 series after release? I just want to get an idea of how long I should expect to wait for 6000 series support. I'm currently rocking an old rx580 :cry:

How long did it take apple to support AMD RX 5000 series after release? I just want to get an idea of how long I should expect to wait for 6000 series support. I'm currently rocking an old rx580 :cry:
I think it was the release of Catalina 10.15.2 or 10.15.3 that finally supported the card.

I think it was the release of Catalina 10.15.2 or 10.15.3 that finally supported the card.

Ok, so it took about 6 months to fully support AMD 5000 series gpu which means we can expect them to support AMD 6000 series gpu in a few months around April if history repeats itself.

Ok, so it took about 6 months to fully support AMD 5000 series gpu which means we can expect them to support AMD 6000 series gpu in a few months around April if history repeats itself.
Yes hopefully sooner.

Actually, it was by 10.15.1 (approx. 3 and a half months after the release of the cards) when Apple added official support for the first-generation Navi Cards.

More info:

However, I believe users needed the agdpmod=pikera boot-args to boot by then. It was after a few more updates that dGPUs like 5700XT could fully function.

However, I believe users needed the agdpmod=pikera boot-args to boot by then. It was after a few more updates that dGPUs like 5700XT could fully function.
Yes, it worked in 15.1 but bearly with lots of problems was not till 15.3 that it worked with any reliablity.

Actually, it was by 10.15.1 (approx. 3 and a half months after the release of the cards) when Apple added official support for the first-generation Navi Cards.

More info:

Well, we still need agdpmod=pikera to boot by now

The thing is you can't find 6000 series GPU easily right now any way, so I guess there is not much disappointment at the moment. By the time 6000 GPU is supported (if it is supported at all), the supply situation will hopefully be a lot better.

The thing is you can't find 6000 series GPU easily right now any way, so I guess there is not much disappointment at the moment. By the time 6000 GPU is supported (if it is supported at all), the supply situation will hopefully be a lot better.

It may not be 'much disappointment' for you but it is for us who have the cards in our machines and are waiting for support now.

Back