Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Yeah, I've tried that a few times along the way.
In the cases where the device-id spoofing does not work, I can boot into macOS, but with a generic framebuffer attached. The GPU still shows up the same as with the RX580 in the system, though.

In the one case where spoofing the ID via SSDT only leads to the black-screen boot, booting off of the Big Navi card directly gives me a freeze frame at the end of the boot process, just before entering the login screen. I assume the last picture only remains because macOS loses its handle on the GPU at that point.
** Mission Irresponsible: I disavow all knowledge of this post :) **

Crypto miners regularly modify the VBIOS on their AMD GPUs using ATI Flash. The latest version from TechPowerUp supports NAVI 21. This is used to read/write the VBIOS, but another tool called Radeon BIOS Editor or RBE is used to modify the BIOS. Both are only usable in Windows.

finally got it working. did took a long cut of downloading and installing the recovery of CATALINE 10.5.7 and then updating via beta profile. but its here, finally.

People should remember to leave their system do the work if they have not added the BOOT ARGS: "agdpmod=pikera" the installation happens on its own. when you don't see the mac Installation and only see mac as boot option in the open core menu, you know that its good to go. now you can either add the option and you will start getting the display as mentioned before.

The only issue I have is that I find the brigthness low even after 100 % at hardware level. what can the be issue here ?

View attachment 516228
If this is real, can you enlighten us a bit?
I think you would be the first one I see that has the new 6X00 running with Hardware Acceleration

If this is real, can you enlighten us a bit?
I think you would be the first one I see that has the new 6X00 running with Hardware Acceleration
Have you missed everything said in the last 20+ pages? :) 6800/6800XT/6900XT drivers have been out for days, in 11.4 beta 1.

1619381667447.png

** Mission Irresponsible: I disavow all knowledge of this post :) **

Crypto miners regularly modify the VBIOS on their AMD GPUs using ATI Flash. The latest version from TechPowerUp supports NAVI 21. This is used to read/write the VBIOS, but another tool called Radeon BIOS Editor or RBE is used to modify the BIOS. Both are only usable in Windows.
Well, I might give that a shot, I was about to install Windows for dual booting anyway.
I'll update you guys if I either succeed or blow up, but it'll probably take me a few days to set this up.

Well, I might give that a shot, I was about to install Windows for dual booting anyway.
I'll update you guys if I either succeed or blow up, but it'll probably take me a few days to set this up.
Ouch, it seems Radeon BIOS Editor (RBE) does not support the latest AMD GPUs.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 1.25.13 PM.png

I did wonder if he could maybe just download a reference MBA VBIOS and flash that?

Though I don't know what's different about these binned cards - whether they have other BIOS tweaks and improvements that might be lost at the same time?

I did wonder if he could maybe just download a reference MBA VBIOS and flash that?

Though I don't know what's different about these binned cards - whether they have other BIOS tweaks and improvements that might be lost at the same time?
Because macOS 11.4 supports device ID 0x73AE which is only one integer away from @byteminer's 0x73AF, if we can get a hold of the VBIOS from 0x73AE it might be worth flashing.

Because macOS 11.4 supports device ID 0x73AE which is only one integer away from @byteminer's 0x73AF, if we can get a hold of the VBIOS from 0x73AE it might be worth flashing.
Too bad Clover isn’t an easy option. The old kexts to patch feature was nice. This was used in Sierra with the RX470-480 cards to get the ID and proper CU counts. They were running on the RX 460 drivers and these patches were able to bring the CUs up to 36 from 14. A f course back then you could manually edit the kexts as well.

OC has kernel patching, maybe patch out the device ID if you can create the path to the info.plist. You would likely need to patch all the kexts with the IDs.

I know it’s not recommended in general but I have noticed that placing kexts in Library/Extension did give different results when working on AMD APUs trying to spoof IDs. Fakepciid kext was designed to be placed in L/E by Rehabman. I was testing in Big Sur and it did make a difference in IOReg loading of device IDs.

I also did some side loading of kexts and they showed in Extensions as enabled. Get copies of the graphics kexts and edit the plists, rename them to 6050.kext or something and load with open core or in L/E.
***this should be done on a spare test drive if using L/E.

Last edited:
Back