Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Oh wow, Ive been periodically checking in weekly and Im thrilled to see there's now support. I'll be upgrading from my powercolour 5700xt once beta is completed I think. But first , I'll update to big Sur over the next couple of weeks :)

Now it's time to front up the cash for a 6000 series.. eek

I'd like to know how anyone is getting their 6700's 6800's and 6900 cards!! Everywhere sold out for 1 year! lol
In my area, business customers/staff are buying them (cards,consoles) off retailers/suppliers before they list them in stock, some are buying 20+ cards for mining or resale so you have to have friends in the right places.

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for so long and really exciting I was able to upgrade to 11.4 and get my RX 6800 reference card to work.

I am not using WhateverGreen. At first, I tried using my existing SMBIOS (iMac20,1), but it only worked with HDMI, and black screen on DisplayPort.

I could only get graphics from DisplayPort after setting the SMBIOS to MacPro7,1. However, this SMBIOS has a memory warning every time I boot, which is possible to fix, but I'm curious to know if someone experienced the same, and if there are real advantages of using MacPro7,1 given that iMac20,1 matches my hardware (same CPU gen) better?

In this OpenCore page (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/smbios-support.html#how-to-decide) they say the following but it's not so clear:

iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are the only 2 SMBIOS that will allow for dGPU to handle all the workload including background rendering and other tasks that the iGPU would handle
  • We only recommend this SMBIOS if you require this, however you'll likely need to fix power management as sleep may break if your hardware isn't of this class(ie. HEDT/Server/AMD): Fixing Power management

Really confused about which SMBIOS to use, or if I should try to make DisplayPort work on the SMBIOS I was using before (iMac20,1) somehow – maybe with WhateverGreen?

Last edited:
Really confused about which SMBIOS to use, or if I should try to make DisplayPort work on the SMBIOS I was using before (iMac20,1) somehow – maybe with WhateverGreen?
Have you tried iMac20,1 + WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera boot-arg?

You'll likely also want to change your DeviceProperties -> Add -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) -> AAPL,ig-platform-id to this:
1619255239407.png

Given you're presumably only connecting monitors to the 6800 and not to your iGPU?

Or if you do want to disable the iGPU completely, then I'd go ahead and try iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 and see what happens - if you have PM problems you can look into that afterwards.

Last edited:
Here's the results of a couple of Metal GeekBench 5 scores on my:

Asus AREZ 8GB Dual OC RX580:
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.00.46 am.png

And my Sapphire Nitro+ RX6800:
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 09.57.39 am.png

Quite an improvement :)

Anyone using iMacPro1,1 or tried iMacPro1,1 yet?

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for so long and really exciting I was able to upgrade to 11.4 and get my RX 6800 reference card to work.

I am not using WhateverGreen. At first, I tried using my existing SMBIOS (iMac20,1), but it only worked with HDMI, and black screen on DisplayPort.

I could only get graphics from DisplayPort after setting the SMBIOS to MacPro7,1. However, this SMBIOS has a memory warning every time I boot, which is possible to fix, but I'm curious to know if someone experienced the same, and if there are real advantages of using MacPro7,1 given that iMac20,1 matches my hardware (same CPU gen) better?

In this OpenCore page (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/smbios-support.html#how-to-decide) they say the following but it's not so clear:

The correct SMBIOS is important for DRM, ACPI, etc.

Usually the best option is to pick a SMBIOS of a real Mac matching your CPU, and then settle within that product family on one with a discrete graphics card or not. The model of the graphics card doesn't need to match necessarily but it helps.

The iMac20,1 SMBIOS will delegate to the i5-10600K internal intel graphics for certain functions like DRM/Apple Movies, decoding of JPG files, etc. For other functions like gaming or photoshop, etc - the discrete graphics / RX 6800 will be used similar to a real intel iMac.

If you pick SMBIOS where the real Mac has not iGPU (i.e. MacPro) - then MacOS will delegate all processing functions to discrete graphics / RX 6800.

WhateverGreen is recommended as it usually will take care of ensuring all ports working and the card is configured in MacOS (assuming that the family of cards is supported by MacOS of course).

Back