Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been doing a bit more digging around, mostly as a way to avoid doing real work.

Found this from Jules Urbach, CEO of OTOY:
1617892812061.png

This is interesting. It was exactly a month before that comment from Beppe, the Octane developer.

He says "it works", which seems to imply "we (or someone) have/has tested it", and he gives a specific version number, implying a change was made to provide that support. Which would in turn imply they had drivers to test that against.

Octane X is a macOS-only product, so there's no question of him talking about other platforms, and it was macOS App Store "app of the day" recently, so it's definitely a product that Apple supports. Further evidence of OTOY's involvement with Apple is a news article by FXGuide which says "Apple has been working with OTOY to bring the Octane X to Professional Mac users since last year’s WWDC." All this gives credence to the idea that OTOY may well be getting info, and even code, that the rest of us are not privy to.

Beppe said he had no 6000-series card to test on, though also mentioned that that's because he's in Italy; Otoy are based in California and I guess Beppe works remotely. Still, the CEO could just mean that they've ensured Octane X will use the cards if they're found, without actually trying it. But even if so, could that be done 'blind', without any Metal driver? He didn't say "it should work", he said it works, and gave a specific Octane X version. Admittedly the fact that he didn't realise it definitely couldn't work in 11.2 does also throw a little doubt on his deep technical knowledge on the subject.

Anyway, more speculation, but this could perhaps be support for the idea that drivers do exist and have been tested against by some devs outside Apple. Combining this with Beppe's comments a month later we could surmise that Otoy were given early drivers to test against and were told they'd be released to everyone in 11.3, but then that was delayed without anyone informing Otoy (or at least, Beppe.)

(I wish Apple would get the hell on with finishing 11.3 already so we can see 11.4b1!)

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
chiphell.com
This appears to be some confirmation of a Radeon Pro 6800XT, but that does not mean it will work with macOS. Like pastrychef said, this is not a card specific for Apple machines.

For those interested, here's an English language article on VideoCardz: AMD Radeon Pro with Navi GLXL GPU.

From that article:

The preparation for a new Radeon PRO launch is at its final stage. A leak featuring a new generation of professional workstation Radeon Pro graphics cards featuring RDNA2 architecture has just surfaced. A mysterious new model has been pictured and the first photos were published over at Chiphell. It is probably worth noting that the even leaker is not sure which model did he receive, but it is confirmed that the card is 16GB, just as the flagship Raden RX series.

One of the labels reveals that the card is ‘Full Secure TT GLXL’ model. There have been leaks on Navi 21 GLXL before and this is without a doubt a next-generation model. What we do not know is how many Stream Processors does this variant has.

The card is also the first blower-type Navi 2X graphics card from AMD, which is kept in dual-slot design, unlike AMD’s gaming RX6800XT/6900XT models. This certainly affects thermal performance and heat exchange capacity. A cut-down GPU with reduced clocks should fit under 250W of typical board power though.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
What the hell is this?
It's a Chinese-language forum, on which recently appeared pictures of what looks to be a pre-production Radeon Pro 6800XT. Those pictures have now been removed, but it's already been picked up by news outlets; see my post above yours for an English language article explaining what's known about the Radeon Pro 6800XT leak.

But there's nothing there about macOS drivers, at least that I can see (through Google Translate.) I think rchen29 is assuming that a Radeon Pro 6000-series means Apple support, but I don't see the two as being necessarily connected.

I will say though that it's definitely not a bad thing. Just today I read that many AMD 6000-series GPUs don't even fit in the Mac Pro 2019 or most eGPU enclosures. A Radeon Pro card presumably would, and thus could boost availability of Big Navi GPUs in the pro market (at least if they have some availability once launched!), which is extra incentive for Apple to provide drivers.

Also, while a Radeon Pro 6800XT is definitely not the same as an MPX 6800XT, the former does have to happen before the latter can. We have no idea if Apple plans to release more MPX GPUs for the Mac Pro 7,1, but the existence of a Radeon Pro 6800XT might at least make it possible.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Aorus Pro Wifi i x570
CPU
3950x
Graphics
6900xt
Anyone tried the new beta? Don't think it sounds promising from what I read but something might have changed.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Anyone tried the new beta? Don't think it sounds promising from what I read but something might have changed.
Beta 7 has no major reported changes.

Motherboard
Aorus Pro Wifi i x570
CPU
3950x
Graphics
6900xt
Beta 7 has no major reported changes.
Oh cheers mate that is what I read.... I did think it was coming though, I was getting ahead of myself.

Reckon Beta 4 is all or nothing now.

Motherboard
MacPro
CPU
MacPro Mid 3013
Graphics
Amd+Nvidia GF1080Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I have a XFX Merc 16 6800 XT and it's working great in BootCamp. Waiting for it to work with Big Sur :(
BootCamp, after EFI and driver installations, works great with a 6800 XT and a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti at the same time with a Macbook pro 16 (2020). It's a Killer machine to work with Agisoft Metashape for instance. However only in BootCamp...

Motherboard
HM87
CPU
i7-4710hq
Graphics
hd4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have a MSI 6700XT and no luck in beta7. EGPU doesn't detect external screen (just like 11.2.3).
X6000 Driver is loaded but that's all.