Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
There's always the possibility that the testing of 6000-series drivers is on Apple Silicon Macs...
Ha, that'd be a real kick in the teeth for us Hackintoshers - not to mention many Intel Mac owners: if the drivers did come.. on Silicon only :) But hopefully they plan to do dual-binaries for any new code for a while longer.

Also, I find it a little odd that these devs are not bound by any NDAs... That's very un-Apple-like.
Yeah, that was my concern with the Redshift remarks: to be useful their comments need to refer to specific knowledge of as-yet un-released code, but any such code (or Apple communication regarding it) would almost certainly be under NDA. As they'd be quite unlikely to break NDA, and it also seemed unlikely that they'd get permission from Apple, it made me doubt if they did in fact have extra information.

I see the remarks from Beppe (the Octane dev) as being a little different, though. In that case I think it's plausible that he did not believe his remarks were breaking any NDA. He said he was told by Apple that drivers were available in 11.3 beta 3, and he only said that after that specific version was already released on the public seed. As he believed that the drivers were now publicly available, he may well have felt he was fine to talk about it. He had no 6000-series GPU to test it himself, so it was only later that he realised that drivers weren't released when Apple told him they would be.

So the poster did give the Redshift dev plenty of room to say he was bound by an NDA, or he has no information. Redshift and Octane have gone out of their way to support AMD on OS X, this is in the interest of Apple and its user base, so I guess they are privy to inside information.
Thanks very much for the further context. That is definitely interesting. I can certainly see - and would expect - them to be privy to inside information of relevance to their products. I do still find it a little surprising that they're able to talk about it, but I guess it's possible that Apple gave the OK in this instance.

Fingers' crossed for 11.4 beta 1!

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I ran the screenshot provided by Harris0n through Google Translate on my phone:

Screenshot_20210405-092547.png

Apple are going to sell a 6900XT? Well that would certainly be very interesting if true..

But do Apple actually sell discrete GPUs in normal sales channels?

I can't help feeling this is more likely an error than anything interesting, but I'd love to know more context.

@Harris0n do you have an more information you could send, like the original link for this picture?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Aorus Pro Wifi i x570
CPU
3950x
Graphics
6900xt
I ran the screenshot provided by Harris0n through Google Translate on my phone:

View attachment 514259

Apple are going to sell a 6900XT? Well that would certainly be very interesting if true..

But do Apple actually sell discrete GPUs in normal sales channels?

I can't help feeling this is more likely an error than anything interesting, but I'd love to know more context.

@Harris0n do you have an more information you could send, like the original link for this picture?
Hmmm? does that say Minidp? Mini DisplayPort?

That is old technology no?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hmmm? does that say Minidp? Mini DisplayPort?

That is old technology no?
Yeah it said 'minidp' in the original screenshot, unchanged by the translation. Mini-DP is still a thing, it's just a smaller DisplayPort, but yeah it's not a port that modern Apple machines still have.

I suppose it's possible that 'minidp' could refer to a USB-C port. Bit of a stretch.

The whole thing is rather weird. I don't think we can give it any credence without a lot more context and info on where it came from.

Motherboard
Aorus Pro Wifi i x570
CPU
3950x
Graphics
6900xt
Yeah it said 'minidp' in the original screenshot, unchanged by the translation. Mini-DP is still a thing, it's just a smaller DisplayPort, but yeah it's not a port that modern Apple machines still have.

I suppose it's possible that 'minidp' could refer to a USB-C port. Bit of a stretch.

The whole thing is rather weird. I don't think we can give it any credence without a lot more context and info on where it came from.
I believe that the Apple RX 5700 XT has Thunderbolt connectivity so this is obviously some kind of mistake.

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, I've tried that, but still couldn't boot. It was fine with previous versions of Big Sur.
Actually, I'm fine with power cable approach, because when I disabled the RX 6800 with SSDT, It still uses around 200w on idle. But if I unplug one of the power cables, it only uses around 30w. (I've measured those with an external energy meter)

With the release of the latest OC today, OC 0.6.8, they also released a new whatevergreen.kext, version 1.4.9, which enables the disabling of a GPU. Should be easier (better?) than using an SSDT. May be worth a look.