Contribute
Register

[Success] Radeon RX 6800 XT - Big Sur

Motherboard
p87z77-vlk
CPU
Graphics
gtx 670
The GPU in the M1 SoC is already a custom Apple design.

Apple used to use Imagination Technologies GPUs in their iPhones and moved to GPUs of their own design years ago.
Right, Apple has been designing their own integrated mobile GPUs for a while now using Imagination IP, and they are great for their laptops/tablets and low to mid end desktops. But going from an integrated mobile GPU to a full blown discrete GPU is not a trivial task. They could choose to scale up their mobile GPU designs to something that performs at the level of a high end discrete GPU. Or, because good high end discrete GPUs that they are already using are available, and this only affects one or two machines at the high end that they sell at low volume, they might just stick with AMD.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Right, Apple has been designing their own integrated mobile GPUs for a while now using Imagination IP, and they are great for their laptops/tablets and low to mid end desktops. But going from an integrated mobile GPU to a full blown discrete GPU is not a trivial task. They could choose to scale up their mobile GPU designs to something that performs at the level of a high end discrete GPU. Or, because good high end discrete GPUs that they are already using are available, and this only affects one or two machines at the high end that they sell at low volume, they might just stick with AMD.

From the reviews I've read, the GPU in the Apple Silicon SoC is already outperforming RX 560. On desktop systems where heat and power consumption are less of a concern, they can scale it up.

Apple signed a new licensing deal with Imagination Technologies in 2020 to bring Ray Tracing to their GPUs. I doubt they would go through the trouble of doing that if they were just going to use someone else's graphics chips...

Lastly, Apple released the MacPro6,1 in 2013 and it wasn't until December 2019 that they released the MacPro7,1. So, there's no guarantee that there will be another Intel based Mac Pro release before the entire lineup goes Apple Silicon.

Last edited:

iPB

Motherboard
Clevo P65
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Graphics
GTX 970M | HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
It is almost certain that there will be no support for the RX 6000?

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI Z270 M7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I do not have a crystal ball but I think we will see drivers for 6 series AMD cards. GPU in Apple silicon chips is really weak compared to modern GPU from AMD/Nvidia. If they want to keep high end computer for 3D tasks, they have no option today.

I have a RX 5700 XT and do not plan to change it since 6 series are unavailable and cost far too much. They do not have ray tracing too.

We all know that the end is coming. Except you need and/or have an old computer, IMHO, investing in a hack with a 1000+ euros cards for only 2-3 years is crazy when you can buy a M1 mac mini for less than this and upgrade your actual PC to whatever you want.

This is my 2 cents.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is almost certain that there will be no support for the RX 6000?

I don't know. I'm just speculating... But with the iMac Pro discontinued and rumors of the iMac going to Apple Silicon real soon now, that leaves just one more Intel based Mac left, the Mac Pro. I don't know if Apple will bother to waste time and effort to release drivers for that system.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
I've been able to sell my Radeon VII and replace it with 6800XT back in December when the stock was trickling in. I do have doubts, but I think Apple will most likely not abandon millions of the existing intel Mac users. It's not just the Mac Pro users, but also those who rely on eGPU solution for editing/rendering work. Unless Apple can provide a discrete eGPU solution with their own propriety GPU, they cannot let the existing intel Macs out there die with the previous generation GPUs. I've been a lifelong Mac user since the days of McIntosh II, but, and have multiples macbook pros and iMacs along with a homebrew hackintosh, but if they pull such a move to dry out their existing users for their new platform, I for one will never give another dime to Apple. I am hoping Apple as a company will have decency to support their existing products until the transition is complete and they are able to offer propriety technology that can match the capability of the existing one.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been able to sell my Radeon VII and replace it with 6800XT back in December when the stock was trickling in. I do have doubts, but I think Apple will most likely not abandon millions of the existing intel Mac users. It's not just the Mac Pro users, but also those who rely on eGPU solution for editing/rendering work. Unless Apple can provide a discrete eGPU solution with their own propriety GPU, they cannot let the existing intel Macs out there die with the previous generation GPUs. I've been a lifelong Mac user since the days of McIntosh II, but, and have multiples macbook pros and iMacs along with a homebrew hackintosh, but if they pull such a move to dry out their existing users for their new platform, I for one will never give another dime to Apple. I am hoping Apple as a company will have decency to support their existing products until the transition is complete and they are able to offer propriety technology that can match the capability of the existing one.

Have you seen the performance of the Apple Silicon Macs with FCPX? I don't think they need any eGPU solutions for Apple Silicon Macs. Like I said on a desktop where power consumption and heat are less of an issue, they can easily scale up the GPU on the M1 SoC.

I also question whether there are millions of Mac users (not hackintosh users) with eGPU boxes. I think it's a very niche segment

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Apple did abandoned millions of Nvidia Mac users. Apple mercilessly killed 'Shake', the compositing fx software used by Hollywood (Lord of the rings), without blinking an eye. Right now the chance of 6000 series getting support is 50:50. That's it.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple did abandoned millions of Nvidia Mac users. Apple mercilessly killed 'Shake', the compositing fx software used by Hollywood (Lord of the rings), without blinking an eye. Right now the chance of 6000 series getting support is 50:50. That's it.

Apple didn't drop support for Nvidia cards. All the GPUs that shipped with Macs continue to work with macOS.

Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers for Nvidia GPUs that never shipped with Macs.

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Classic
  5. iBook
  6. Performa
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple didn't drop support for Nvidia cards. All the GPUs that shipped with Macs continue to work with macOS.

Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers for Nvidia GPUs that never shipped with Macs.
I don't think anyone knows the full story behind the Nvidia / Apple breakup. Nvidia had updated drivers ready to go and Apple wouldn't allow them to be signed for installation. With Nvidia constantly proving they are just a shady corporation, I wouldn't doubt if there was more to the story.