Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I am getting the vibes of Nvidia driver drama. We waited for months and years before realising that, it is not coming.

I am afraid that, the last intel Mac is already released. If M chip performance scales up, they may never release an intel+AMD Mac ever. Apple will release iMac Pro / Mac mini pro this year, and Mac Pro by next year end. All M chips.

I am getting the vibes of Nvidia driver drama. We waited for months and years before realising that, it is not coming.

I am afraid that, the last intel Mac is already released. If M chip performance scales up, they may never release an intel+AMD Mac ever. Apple will release iMac Pro / Mac mini pro this year, and Mac Pro by next year end. All M chips.
Does it still matter now? Out of stock.

The big difference between this and Nvidia is the Audio codec and Framebuffer support. The Navi 2 series have a new audio codec and its loading in Big Sur. The codec is unique to these cards and it doesn’t make much sense that Apple would include it in their software unless they plan to use it at some point.

The big difference between this and Nvidia is the Audio codec and Framebuffer support. The Navi 2 series have a new audio codec and its loading in Big Sur. The codec is unique to these cards and it doesn’t make much sense that Apple would include it in their software unless they plan to use it at some point.

If I am not misstaken, wasn't this partial support somewhat reverted in 11.2 ?

Yeah I wasn't planning on running my 6800XT as primary, using RX470 for that, but even with it installed it won't boot into Big Sur. I have to unplug it in order to boot normally. I used to have an nvidia card in that slot, and it was just disabled, not sure if theres a way to soft disable the 6800 XT yet...

Yeah I wasn't planning on running my 6800XT as primary, using RX470 for that, but even with it installed it won't boot into Big Sur. I have to unplug it in order to boot normally. I used to have an nvidia card in that slot, and it was just disabled, not sure if theres a way to soft disable the 6800 XT yet...

You can use an SSDT to disable any of the slots you want.

Back