Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My apologies but I am getting sick of this non-OS support for AMD GPUs. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti in my 4991 Hackintosh that is stuck at 10.13.6. So, I am desperately willing to pay for a supported graphics cards - just not $3,000. It would be nice if it was fully supported too.
I may be completely wrong (and before I bought my M1 I wished so) but I don’t think it’s coming at all. I see no incentives for them to R&D and support this. The new GPUs will scale and I think they work to Apple’s desire for their systems.

I said this on the eGPU formum as well, I think the 5700 is the last card to be supported as it’s the last released in a machine.

Motherboard
Gigabite X570 AorusPro WiFi
CPU
Ryzen 3900x OC 4.5gHz
Graphics
RedDevil 6900xt
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I may be completely wrong (and before I bought my M1 I wished so) but I don’t think it’s coming at all. I see no incentives for them to R&D and support this. The new GPUs will scale and I think they work to Apple’s desire for their systems.

I said this on the eGPU formum as well, I think the 5700 is the last card to be supported as it’s the last released in a machine.
The incentive that you speak of are the current owners of MacPro Machines who spent tens of thousands of dollars on an upgradable machine. Apple would upset many by not providing a simple kext to their whale customers

According to apple there are further intel machines that apple will be continuing manufacturing. Your statement is almost correct; Navi 5000 series card is the last card that has been supported *so far*

Apple is unable to attain Navi 5### cards because they are no longer produced due to manufacturing capacity of TSMC 7nm

There are kexts literally named Navi6000 in beta versions of MacOS - those kexts are made by apple

None of this means they will be supported, but surely you can see the points above as to why so many disagree with you

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
CPU
i3-7350K OC 4.5GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The incentive that you speak of are the current owners of MacPro Machines who spent tens of thousands of dollars on an upgradable machine. Apple would upset many by not providing a simple kext to their whale customers

According to apple there are further intel machines that apple will be continuing manufacturing. Your statement is almost correct; Navi 5000 series card is the last card that has been supported *so far*

Apple is unable to attain Navi 5### cards because they are no longer produced due to manufacturing capacity of TSMC 7nm

There are kexts literally named Navi6000 in beta versions of MacOS - those kexts are made by apple

None of this means they will be supported, but surely you can see the points above as to why so many disagree with you
I sympathize for sure. I wished for support on an eGPU for my 16. Where I’m having doubts is due to the serious lack of drivers back when NVIDIA was supported. But it’s always possible something does get supported. If it does I still think it’s the last.

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Big Navi used to boot Big Sur, albeit unaccelerated, but as of 11.3 beta1, the window server fails to load with only big Navi in the system. This is curious because the big Navi radeon6000framebuffer loads. so there still is some support in macOS. The usb-c drivers load.

Additional support may be on the way soon, as amd just released new drivers for Linux kernel 5.11, as well as windows too.

My RX 6900 XT, the only card in the system, booted fine with BS 11.2 beta 1 and still boots fine with beta 2.

Motherboard
Asus Z590 Hero XIII
CPU
i9 11900k
Graphics
6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My RX 6900 XT, the only card in the system, booted fine with BS 11.2 beta 1 and still boots fine with beta 2.
I think the post you are replying to was referencing 11.3 beta not 11.2 beta.

Motherboard
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think the post you are replying to was referencing 11.3 beta not 11.2 beta.

For some reason my previous replies to your comment have been deleted. I could understand that if we were discussing a DEVELOPER beta but 11.3 beta 2 was released as a PUBLIC BETA over 4 days ago.

If you see this before it is again deleted, it was a typo by me and I meant to say that my RX 6900 XT is fully bootable in all 11.3 betas.

If the admin who keeps deleting my reply could explain why it is being deleted I would be obliged - I don't want to be breaking any rules but I don't know which rule I am breaking as this is a PUBLIC beta and comments by other members have not been deleted whilst discussing this very thing.

Motherboard
Asus Z590 Hero XIII
CPU
i9 11900k
Graphics
6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For some reason my previous replies to your comment have been deleted. I could understand that if we were discussing a DEVELOPER beta but 11.3 beta 2 was released as a PUBLIC BETA over 4 days ago.

If you see this before it is again deleted, it was a typo by me and I meant to say that my RX 6900 XT is fully bootable in all 11.3 betas.

If the admin who keeps deleting my reply could explain why it is being deleted I would be obliged - I don't want to be breaking any rules but I don't know which rule I am breaking as this is a PUBLIC beta and comments by other members have not been deleted whilst discussing this very thing.
No worries, I kind of thought so, and yes. I think since its public beta, 11.3 beta 2 should be allowed now and not breaking any rules.

Motherboard
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The public beta version is now on beta 3 as of 22 minutes ago. I'm sure there are no changes to this, but there is always hope right?
Not this time. No support. Maybe 11.4 beta 1, in a month or so.

Motherboard
Z370XP SLI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon 7
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for the update. Waiting patiently and hoping for some good news to be handed to us by the Apple gods.