Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

boot arg. agdpmod=pikera
That applies when booting macOS and it should be added to boot-args. At this point, however, he cannot get to OpenCore Picker. BIOS does not pass the POST operation (power-on self-test).

That applies when booting macOS and it should be added to boot-args. At this point, however, he cannot get to OpenCore Picker. BIOS does not pass the POST operation (power-on self-test).
Got it, cmos reset and reset defaults with 64 installed before the switch may be helpful.

CSM setting in bios? Legacy or UEFI?

My post was just removed, or this is my machine is not working with 7mb video memory?

Alright, I loaded the optimized defaults and progressed with the boot up. My system is incredibly sluggish, and of course only a single monitor is loading, DisplayPort is not working at all.

Please advise, what am I missing?

Thank you

1651898409128.png

Last edited:
My post was just removed, or this is my machine is not working with 7mb video memory?

Alright, I loaded the optimized defaults and progressed with the boot up. My system is incredibly sluggish, and of course only a single monitor is loading, DisplayPort is not working at all.

Please advise, what am I missing?

Thank you

View attachment 547286
Remove serial #

Remove serial #
I did not know that was important at all, anyhow I cropped my original post, hopefully, this is better now.

By the way, I'm on an OpenCore 0.6.8 and I truly hope this is ok.

Last edited:
Monterey 12.1
Hi, do you think that may be the case? Anything else I could try, I was really hoping I could avoid upgrading at this time.

I think I know what the reason for my GPU problem is. From this page:
https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#navi-21-series
1651966072995.png

I don't know what Navi 21 series is, but based on the supported cards description from this description, I'm guessing that this is exactly the same card as mine. If so, I have a BigSur 11.2 version. Initial Support was added in 11.4.

Do I understand the description correctly? please, if anyone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

I think I know what the reason for my GPU problem is. From this page:
https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#navi-21-series
View attachment 547345
I don't know what Navi 21 series is, but based on the supported cards description from this description, I'm guessing that this is exactly the same card as mine. If so, I have a BigSur 11.2 version. Initial Support was added in 11.4.

Do I understand the description correctly? please, if anyone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Yes, to get acceleration for your 6800XT, you should upgrade from Big Sur 11.2 to 11.4. This was a pretty big deal at the start of this thread when the Big Navi's were released and people were receiving them but they weren't supported in Big Sur. with each successive update or beta, people were reporting the appearance of drivers but no support. Until finally in 11.4, support was enabled.

Big Sur 11.2 to 11.4
Thank you Tedyun, my guess was correct then.
I have this question, how do I upgrade? Is there somewhere any good step-by-step instructions? The reason I ask is, I just tried upgrading, and spent almost an hour waiting for MacOS in install to 11.6.x, in the end it asked me to re-sign-in with my appleID, went fine. Just so when I clicked on About this Mac, I see my old system in here :banghead:
1651971448380.png

I found the guide to upgrade, I guess one of my issues is that I was selecting the backup USB as a loader, do I need to do this?
Also, I'm worried about upgrading OpenCore and accompanying files, is that required?

Last edited:
Thank you Tedyun, my guess was correct then.
I have this question, how do I upgrade? Is there somewhere any good step-by-step instructions? The reason I ask is, I just tried upgrading, and spent almost an hour waiting for MacOS in install to 11.6.x, in the end it asked me to re-sign-in with my appleID, went fine. Just so when I clicked on About this Mac, I see my old system in here :banghead:View attachment 547346

I found the guide to upgrade, I guess one of my issues is that I was selecting the backup USB as a loader, do I need to do this?
Also, I'm worried about upgrading OpenCore and accompanying files, is that required?

I don't really know how to do it with 100% certainty to give you a step by step. I have some things I would try, but I've always kept up to date with the software updates. If worse comes to worse, I would make a Time Machine backup of my current system, then install a vanilla Big Sur and perform a restore with Migration Assistant.

OC 0.6.8 should work.

Back