Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I’ve tried this method twice, but both times, macOS stalls before getting to the login screen. As soon as I remove the SSDT it boots normally again. I’m away from my computer for the next week or so, so I can’t post the log unfortunately, but I will as soon as i’m back.

I have my RX580 in slot 2, and an MSI RX6800 in slot 1.
I am guessing that either way the cards are running at 8x so really it is not a huge deal. I could be wrong but the SSDT only hides the card from the OS, not from the bios.

Hi dehjomz.

Going to hijack this post really fast but seen you're running a 6800xt for Windows and a 560 for mac.

I'm in a similar situation, currently need to upgrade my gpu (purely for Windows as I only do audio work on hackintosh), but I can't find many people running a 6800xt on Windows and a separate one on hackintosh.

Do you have to cloak it on mac until it has drivers available? Wouldn't you be able to just use the igpu instead of the 560?

Can take this to dms if you're feeling charitable. Thanks a lot.

Hello.

My rx560 is the first GPU (GPU0) and the 6800xt is the second (GPU1).

I tried the Intel iGPU route at first, but I wasn't able to get it to run the macOS Big Sur framebuffer in a stable manner. Either the windowserver would crash every 30 seconds, or the whole system would crash whenever I'd load up a video. Could be because I'm overclocked, but I never did downclock to test... I just abandoned the iGPU idea and dusted off an old rx 560.

I didn't even disable the 6800xt using an ssdt or opencore's -wegnoegpu boot-arg.

There's not a specific reason why I put the rx560 as GPU0, I just assumed macOS would get confused if it tried booting off of the 6800xt and would fail to switch over to the 560 after the kernel loads. I could be wrong...

Not the ideal solution, and with the 6800xt powered on, macOS cannot go to sleep, but that's okay for now, only takes about 20 seconds from time I push the power button to get to the macOS login screen. Windows sleeps just fine with both GPUs connected...

I am guessing that either way the cards are running at 8x so really it is not a huge deal. I could be wrong but the SSDT only hides the card from the OS, not from the bios.
Yeah having both cards installed breaks sleep functionality in macOS is all. It crashes after the OpenCore picker, while macOS is booting.

Does anyone know/speculate when will come next beta?

Gigabyte RX 6900 XT installed in my system and now waiting for macOS to fully support it.

Did selling your kidney give you enough cash/bitcoins to buy this beast? Nice, I'm jealous! :headbang:

Last edited:
Honestly now I'm more like waiting for better support for Apple Silicon than RX 6800 XT support. MB Air M1 is something so great to use and work with (despite some minor sompatibilities with IDE) that I'm actually using my PC to play some rocket league matches in breaks in work. x)

Honestly now I'm more like waiting for better support for Apple Silicon than RX 6800 XT support. MB Air M1 is something so great to use and work with (despite some minor sompatibilities with IDE) that I'm actually using my PC to play some rocket league matches in breaks in work. x)
Having a single machine for gaming and work (and run windows in fusion if needed), using the same screens and peripherals for both, being able to use Logic Pro natively, restart and play Cyberpunk 2077 at 90fps are great reasons to be disappointed by the departure from intel and proper boot camp, no matter how good Apple Silicon is :)

It's probably one of the last times we can do it but I'm far more excited by it than getting proprietary faster silicon and working on 2 rigs.

Back