Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

This one should be fine. It’s likely that it has device ID 0x73BF, which is natively recognized. But on the off chance that it has the unsupported device ID 0x73AF, then we can still make it work by spoofing its device ID with a simple device property. Just install it in a PCIe slot (not eGPU).
@tedyun , @CaseySJ Thanks for the replies. It's in the post now. Hopefully, it'll be with me Monday or Tuesday. I'll be in touch with the results... All the best! Nick

I've just upgraded to the Monterey 12.1 public beta, and can confirm that my AMD RX 6600 XT is working under this new update (I'm using an XFX Speedster QICK 308 card).

I used an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, and added the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg to my OpenCore config.plist
(WEG was installed in /EFI/OC/Kexts):
AMD 6600 XT.jpg

I was also able to run my 4K monitor at 60Hz, whereas I could only select 30Hz using Intel UHD630 Graphics. I've attached a few more screenshots to this post, including my Geekbench Metal Score, and the GPU section of my System Report. You can view the basic details of my Hackintosh under my Forum Avatar.

Attachments

• Metal Score.png
    Metal Score.png
    513 KB · Views: 164
  • System Report.png
    System Report.png
    632.1 KB · Views: 175
I've just upgraded to the Monterey 12.1 public beta, and can confirm that my AMD RX 6600 XT is working under this new update (I'm using an XFX Speedster QICK 308 card).

I used an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, and added the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg to my OpenCore config.plist

I was also able to run my 4K monitor at 60Hz, whereas I could only select 30Hz using Intel UHD630 Graphics. I've attached a few more screenshots to this post, including my Geekbench Metal Score, and the GPU section of my System Report. You can view the basic details of my Hackintosh under my Forum Avatar.
Glad to hear it! This was a nice little holiday gift from Apple. ;)

Confirming PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card 6600XT 8GBD6-3DHE/OC working with 2020 MacBook Pro and Razor Core X via Thunderbolt and using Monterey Beta 12.1.
EDIT: Next step will be to get it into a PC and get it working but the new drivers seem to be working.
Loaded up 12.1 Beta and installed the card into a Z390 Asus system, GeekBench results are OpenCL 66668 and
Metal 78161. Everything seem to be working nicely so far.

Installed a W6600 card, which I believe uses the same drivers. Running 12.1 and can't get 5K resolutions out of it for an LG Ultrafine (via Thunderbolt to dual-Displayport out of mono). Specifically, 2880x1620 resolution won't show up (tried "option" click on scaled also). Works fine with a VII (which has twice the memory).

Installed a W6600 card, which I believe uses the same drivers. Running 12.1 and can't get 5K resolutions out of it for an LG Ultrafine (via Thunderbolt to dual-Displayport out of mono). Specifically, 2880x1620 resolution won't show up (tried "option" click on scaled also). Works fine with a VII (which has twice the memory).
Out of curiosity are you using any boot arguments to support it? I followed @pbryanw lead and used "agdpmod=pikera" , haven't tried without it or "agdpmod=ignore" which I need for my Ryzen system/

Out of curiosity are you using any boot arguments to support it? I followed @pbryanw lead and used "agdpmod=pikera" , haven't tried without it or "agdpmod=ignore" which I need for my Ryzen system/

Yes, agdpmod=pikera is always enabled. I tried deleting that argument and the screen wouldn't turn on. Have also tried 19,1Mac SMBIOS, but it wouldn't boot. Only iMacPro1,1 has worked on my system.

@ThetaK7 - Perhaps all you need to do is add a scaled resolution for 2880x1620? I've used this in the past to add unsupported resolutions for my Intel iGPU:

For an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, I had to add "slide=0" to my boot-args, and specify my Intel UHD 630 as a headless GPU (with AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0300913E), in order for it to work. I also now use an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. (Edited: for corrections).

Last edited:
@ThetaK7 - Perhaps all you need to do is add a scaled resolution for 2880x1620? I've used this in the past to add unsupported resolutions for my Intel iGPU:

For an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, I had to add "slide=0" to my boot-args, and specify my Intel UHD 630 as a headless GPU (with AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0300913E), in order for it to work. I also now use an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. (Edited: for corrections).

Hi, I think it was an issue with the display. I unplugged power and reconnected, and the proper resolutions came back. W6600 working fine now. Incidentally I'll be sending back as it couldn't compete with my older VII. Thanks for the reply.

My Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 XT Eagle 8GB works after upgrading to 12.1 beta. Using CaseySJ's oc 0.7.5 for z490 vision G (changed for smbios iMacPro1,1), using "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.28.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.28.39 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 133
Back