Register

[Success] Radeon RX 6800 XT - Big Sur

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
I just bought "Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE GAMING OC Graphics Card With 16GB GDDR6 HDMI / TRIPLE DP"

Im having some issues with my machine and was curious if anyone had any thoughts.

The Video card has 3 separate cables running from the power supply x2 8pin // x1 6pin
Video card is directly connected with no riser to the first PCIe slot.
850W eVGA Gold Power Supply

The machine boots great while attached to HDMI, however when using my display port monitors I am greeted with black screens. I don't see the BIOS, I hear the chime and the machine will boot into whatever OpenCore was last selected for. Unfortunately the HDMI is a temp monitor, and my main displays are the display port monitors. I have no other monitors to test with. Could just be the Display monitors are too old to work. They work great with the 5700 XT I had in previously though...

I did successfully get picture to the monitors by booting with the HDMI monitor, and then hot plugging in the display port monitors after boot.

I have a Gigabyte z490 Vision D mainboard with 10850k CPU

Open to any and all thoughts. I really don't want to buy new monitors or send back the card...

Motherboard
Z170X-UH3
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
GTX Titan
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just bought "Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE GAMING OC Graphics Card With 16GB GDDR6 HDMI / TRIPLE DP"

Im having some issues with my machine and was curious if anyone had any thoughts.

The Video card has 3 separate cables running from the power supply x2 8pin // x1 6pin
Video card is directly connected with no riser to the first PCIe slot.
850W eVGA Gold Power Supply

The machine boots great while attached to HDMI, however when using my display port monitors I am greeted with black screens. I don't see the BIOS, I hear the chime and the machine will boot into whatever OpenCore was last selected for. Unfortunately the HDMI is a temp monitor, and my main displays are the display port monitors. I have no other monitors to test with. Could just be the Display monitors are too old to work. They work great with the 5700 XT I had in previously though...

I did successfully get picture to the monitors by booting with the HDMI monitor, and then hot plugging in the display port monitors after boot.

I have a Gigabyte z490 Vision D mainboard with 10850k CPU

Open to any and all thoughts. I really don't want to buy new monitors or send back the card...
didi you try with -wegoff bootarg in your config.plist ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Bought two new monitors and all works well with the new video card now. Seems my old monitors were just too old to play nicely with the 6900... Was time anyhow, those monitors were from 2009... Thanks for the help.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
hi @taconugget :)

you have this graphics card https://videocardz.net/sapphire-radeon-rx-6900-xt-16gb-nitro-special-edition? Is your device id 0x73bf or 0x73af? Did macOS boot out of the box without spoofing the chip id?

I ask because there have been discussions here in the thread about this graphics card and (at least to me) these questions have not been clearly answered yet.
This card worked out of the box for me. I didn’t need to change anything in my current EFI Folder. I was running a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT prior to this. This model 6900 has 3 power connectors, x2 8pin and x1 6pin so make sure you have the proper cables from the PSU. It did not like my old 2009 DisplayPort Monitors and I had to purchase new monitors as well. Overall seems to be working well so far. Only on day one though ;)

deviceID.jpg

Last edited:
Motherboard
Probook 430 G3
CPU
i3
Graphics
HD 520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought and returned that card when I thought it would not work. What is your latest Geekbench metal score?
This card worked out of the box for me. I didn’t need to change anything in my current EFI Folder. I was running a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT prior to this. This model 6900 has 3 power connectors, x2 8pin and x1 6pin so make sure you have the proper cables from the PSU. It did not like my old 2009 DisplayPort Monitors and I had to purchase new monitors as well. Overall seems to be working well so far. Only on day one though ;)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
I bought and returned that card when I thought it would not work. What is your latest Geekbench metal score?
I feel like I could probably play with some settings an optimize this better but its on par with what Im seeing posted in this board. Im not sure what people are doing to get in the 200,000+ category, but they are usually MacPro users...

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.01.59 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
It should be doing better. I am getting 192K+ on a reference 6900XT on ryzen using imacpro1,1 OC 0.6.6
I am pretty happy with it. I want to see your score when you fully unleash that thing.

It was a 3 day ordeal getting it to work cause I had monitors it didn't like.... Right now I just want to use the card a little and then the tweeks will begin.

Just out of curiosity are you pushing 2 - 4K UHD monitors or one? I think this has something to do with the test results. Ive seen the test results sway from 168k-182k when running the tests so far... Once it get it going good I'll post some screens again.