Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

• Go for it, or wait another year for the price to come down?
There is one less 6800 XT available to miners!

Newegg’s daily “shuffle” is arguably the best way to buy GPUs in North America at the moment. Prices aren’t cheap, but they’re lower than eBay and MicroCenter.

RTX 3060s on the other hand are relatively close to MSRP.

Benefits of the shuffle:
  • Two hour window in the morning to pick whatever you want from a list of items. Most are bundled with other products, however.
  • There is no first-come first-serve mentality. Hence no mad rush. Anyone may pick anything within those two hours without worrying about being first or last in the queue.
  • When the choosing period ends, the shuffle begins and a few people on each list are selected.
  • You are then given another 2 hour period the same day to make your final buy or not-buy decision.
This was my second participation in the shuffle. Wasn’t selected the first time two weeks ago, but got through this time.

Last edited:
I Just ordered this:

Think it will be compatible?
I think it wil be compatible i have the same graphic card Sapphire RX 6900XT Nitro+ but not the special edition , and it works perfectly.

Last edited:

Newegg’s daily “shuffle” is arguably the best way to buy GPUs in North America at the moment. Prices aren’t cheap, but they’re lower than eBay and MicroCenter.

RTX 3060s on the other hand are relatively close to MSRP.

Benefits of the shuffle:
  • Two hour window in the morning to pick whatever you want from a list of items. Most are bundled with other products, however.
  • There is no first-come first-serve mentality. Hence no mad rush. Anyone may pick anything within those two hours without worrying about being first or last in the queue.
  • When the choosing period ends, the shuffle begins and a few people on each list are selected.
  • You are then given another 2 hour period the same day to make your final buy or not-buy decision.
This was my second participation in the shuffle. Wasn’t selected the first time two weeks ago, but got through this time.

The 6800XT is indeed a beautiful card. I love how they’re giving nvidia a run for their money

Mine is the reference card, yours is a beautiful one that probably runs cooler under load, but at least they now work with macOS! Congratulations.

let me ask: you’re running Ryzen on macOS ? How is the experience ? I’m considering a Ryzen 5900. Microcenter has them in stock at msrp.

The 6800XT is indeed a beautiful card. I love how they’re giving nvidia a run for their money

Mine is the reference card, yours is a beautiful one that probably runs cooler under load, but at least they now work with macOS! Congratulations.

let me ask: you’re running Ryzen on macOS ? How is the experience ? I’m considering a Ryzen 5900. Microcenter has them in stock at msrp.
I have a rezone 5950 running with a Nitro +se 6800XT on a X570 master and under B3 runs faultless.
Get 189774 on metal , handoff etc work faultless. Its as good as my I9-10900kf on Z490 Vision D

Because I have two 4K monitors that provide a USB-C input, my preference would be the reference port layout. But considering that today's NewEgg Shuffle is selling the MSI 6800 Gaming X Trio (not the 6800 XT) for more than yesterday's shuffle of the MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio, I may have to take back my previous comments about NewEgg's prices being better than MicroCenter / eBay. It seems the prices vary a lot from shuffle to shuffle.

I really enjoy the B550 Vision D. Although I have one Ryzentosh based on X570 and another on B550, I use the B550 almost exclusively between those two because B550 does not have active PCH cooling, which makes it whisper quiet.

As with all Ryzen systems, however, there are limitations:
  • Virtualization does not work
  • Some Adobe apps may not work or may require patches
  • Some Thunderbolt devices may not work properly
    • UAD Apollo works with Zen 2 processors, but not with latest Zen 3
I am still using Zen 2 (Ryzen 7 3700X).

Because I have two 4K monitors that provide a USB-C input, my preference would be the reference port layout. But considering that today's NewEgg Shuffle is selling the MSI 6800 Gaming X Trio (not the 6800 XT) for more than yesterday's shuffle of the MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio, I may have to take back my previous comments about NewEgg's prices being better than MicroCenter / eBay. It seems the prices vary a lot from shuffle to shuffle.

I really enjoy the B550 Vision D. Although I have one Ryzentosh based on X570 and another on B550, I use the B550 almost exclusively between those two because B550 does not have active PCH cooling, which makes it whisper quiet.

As with all Ryzen systems, however, there are limitations:
  • Virtualization does not work
  • Some Adobe apps may not work or may require patches
  • Some Thunderbolt devices may not work properly
    • UAD Apollo works with Zen 2 processors, but not with latest Zen 3
I am still using Zen 2 (Ryzen 7 3700X).
Thanks Casey!

I think newegg is cashing in on the current situation, some of their prices are crazy, I sometimes find better deals on Amazon or Microcenter. I just depends on the product. But I do like that Newegg has the shuffle available.

You could use a displayport to USB-c cable... i've done that on my 6800XT (albeit in reverse), to route the 6800XT's USB-C video output into the Vision D's Displayport-in for video-over-thunderbolt.

I don't use the UAD Apollo or virtualization or Adobe for that matter, so sounds like I'd be fine... decisions... decisions...

I may just wait a bit a longer and see what the Apple M2 is saying, as well as Zen4/Alder or Raptor Lake...

Last edited:

@CaseySJ,

Nice one CSJ, I think 6800 XT is the sweet spot in terms of price/performance .. at least on paper, shame we are all having to pay so much more for GPU's because of chip shortages and miners.

I wish we had a company like Newegg in the UK that offered a daily shuffle feature, right now in the UK all variants of 6000 GPU's are priced well over MRP with just a few on-line stores in the UK having actual (very limited) stock of 6000 series and all at ridiculous prices.

Cheers
Jay

I think it wil be compatible i have the same graphic card Sapphire RX 6900XT Nitro+ but not the special edition , and it works perfectly.
it won't be, it already states on product page it's an XTX/H card so it uses revised navi 21 board.

Yeah
Are you still happy with the MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio? Wish they had kept the USB-C port.
Its a good card so far, although in beta 2 it seems to have dropped quite a bit in metal score. I chose the MSI because I use triple 4K with DisplayPort & HDMI and VR via DisplayPort so was more suitable for my setup.

Now I tested without "agdpmod = pikera" and without "WhateverGreen.kext"and everything works, even the usb-c.
Hi, is the USB C completely working? I have a ref 6800 and USB C only works as DP out, not as USB port. I tried connecting a mass storage and it is not detected by macOS :(
I still have WhateverGreen.kext, maybe that is the culript?

Back