Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Project "iDell" XPS 8300 *Lion 10.7.3*

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks for writing up this guide. :clap: I thought running Mac OS was not possible on my Dell XPS. Saved me thousands by not buying a new iMac or Mac Pro. :thumbup:

I created Unibeast and got to the disk utility menu to create partition but the system can't find the Hard Drive that's installed. I tried to swap out my 650GB to a 500GB but still the same problem. Reboot several times, still the same problem.

In my BIOS menu, I can only set HD setting to RAID or ATA, I have tried both setting.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to solve this?

Motherboard
del xps 8300
CPU
i7 QC
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. Quadra
  9. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone gotten USB3 working on this machine (either with the Dell supplied USB3 or any other USB3 card)?

Are we going to start a new thread on installing 10.8? :mrgreen:

edit: Stipud Tyops.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 8300
CPU
Intel i7 2600 Quad Core 3.4 Ghz
Graphics
ATI AMD Radeon HD6670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm just a totally Newbie here but manage my XPS 8300 work, with a lot of trial and error and of course "patience". After several failures finally its working now. My specs are listed in here:
Intel i7 2600
ATI 6670
Samsung SSD 470 series 128GB (Primary for Apple Installation)
Stock Hitachi 750GB HD (from my MacbookPro)
Stock 2TB HD (partition into 2 1TB each)
Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse K220
Sony 22" LED 3d Ready TV as monitor using HDMI
On board Sound Card ( remove Creative Sound Blaster Card SB1040 & WLAN DW1501)

The rig is workin' flawlessly and no issues whatsoever, there is sound from SPDIF hookup to my home theater and internet thru wired ethernet. Clean install of Lion 10.7 and updated to Lion 10.7.4 all softwares are updated.

Now, its time to install Windows 7 back using Boot Camp Assistant but getting the message ..... " Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used. You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant." Upon checking my system report as below
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.39 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
SMC Version (system): 1.30f3
Serial Number (system): G88451235J4
Hardware UUID: 5E3401C7-E2E0-5A66-9891-6C914499A5D4
I noticed that my Boot ROM firmware Version is : MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com :)
1. My question is how to update the said Boot ROM to get the latest??
2. Will my working system will not encounter any problem if I update the Boot ROM to install Windows 7?
3. I still have 2 free slot for my DIMMs, can I add 2 more 4GBs to make my rig 16GB?
4. Is there a possibility to get audio from HDMI for my TV monitor, as of now there is no sound...

Thanks to those who will help to enlightened a Newbie like me :)

Motherboard
Dell XPS 8300
CPU
Intel i7 2600
Graphics
AMD 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
has anyone looked into or tired to upgrade to ML 10.8?

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sorry all. Its been forever since i have done anything with the Project, as i have been busy with too much other stuff. I will be doing a ML guide once things have calmed down here (Just moved, still getting settled in). iDell's hardware config has drastically changed, and i will update that as well once i get everything working at full tilt. Again, appologies for taking so long, its just that life has been hectic for me for the past few months.

Untill later .. ~~Grave

Motherboard
Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega X299
CPU
i9-10920X
Graphics
Radeon VII
nice to hear from you again

I have just finished with a Clean install of ML using the Unibeast method and PCIRootUID=0 to get to the installer. Once i was in desktop ran Multibeast (the latest) and then added the command PCIRootUID=0 to org.chameleon.boot.plist in order to boot without any flag later on.
works fine, BUT i do not have any ethernet or wifi. I have installed the IONetworkfamily.kext , BCM5722 kext and the wifi min card 1397 kext (cause i have that card installed on my xps 8300) but nothing helped me out.

Could you suggest any other kexts that work on ML to get the Ethernet and/or the wifi back

Regards

Motherboard
Dell XPS8300
CPU
i7-2600
Graphics
HD 6450
I have just finished with a Clean install of ML using the Unibeast method and PCIRootUID=0 to get to the installer. Once i was in desktop ran Multibeast (the latest) and then added the command PCIRootUID=0 to org.chameleon.boot.plist in order to boot without any flag later on.
works fine, BUT i do not have any ethernet or wifi. I have installed the IONetworkfamily.kext , BCM5722 kext and the wifi min card 1397 kext (cause i have that card installed on my xps 8300) but nothing helped me out.

Could you suggest any other kexts that work on ML to get the Ethernet and/or the wifi back

Regards

Just did a clean 10.8 on my i7 XPS 8300.
None of the network kexts in Multibeast worked.

BCM5722.kext did, though. I'm not sure why. So at least I have internet.

That's all I've done so far - I still have to fix video and install a bootleader, etc. I'm going very slowly since I've ruined so many installs so far...

Motherboard
Dell XPS 8300
CPU
Intel i7 2600 Quad Core 3.4 Ghz
Graphics
ATI AMD Radeon HD6670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running Lion 10.7.4 and took the risk of upgrading thru App Store and upgraded my rig to Mountain Lion 10.8
All are working perfectly internet, audio and video runs flawlessly :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 5.21.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 5.21.03 PM.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 314
Motherboard
Dell XPS 8300
CPU
Intel i7 2600
Graphics
AMD 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
how did u manage to install ML? I did a clean install with Unibeast, and everything went smoothly until i did the multibeast install and now it is stuck on the apple logo every time i boot up

Motherboard
Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega X299
CPU
i9-10920X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mountain Lion Istallation Guid

1. F12 To boot from Unibeast USB
2.Use the flag " PCIRootUID=0
3.Complete the installation *reboot
4.F12 to boot from Unibeast USB
5.Use the flag " PCIRootUID=0

6.Once on the desktop,run Multibeast 4.6.1 tick EasyBeast,
System Utilities, Audio VoodooHDA0.2.1, Boot Options PCI ROOT FIX. *Install and click on NullCpupowermanagement*

7.Go to *Extra org.chameleon.Boot.plist ---> open it with TextEdit go to this--> PCIRootUID=1 *change it to*
PCIRootUID=0. Then save.*

8.Install BCM5722D Using *KextBeast then repair permission by Multibeast . Reboot
Now you have working Ethernet*

NB: You should always install the Ethernet Kext * BCM5722D *first before installing the wifi Kext*
BCM4312

9.Use Kext Wizard to install the wifi Kext called (BCM4312 Fix) unzip it to (IO80211Family.kext) install this one instead of the same Kext in S/L/E. * *Kext Wizard will do the exchange. Repair permission using Multibeast System Utilities. Reboot