CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
***Vid of iDell Booting, and running at the bottom of the guide! Enjoy :) ***So, you have yourself a Dell XPS 8300. Windows runs nice and snappy for a while, but it eventually gets bogged down with all the stuff from installing anti-virus, games, production software, artwork, the list goes on and on. Wouldn't it be great if you could have a stable, smooth, and world renowned OS on it, instead of a problematic, picky, and general nightmare?Enter, Gravewyrm's OS X Lion Installation guide, EXCLUSIVELY for the Dell XPS 8300!To my knowledge, this guide will work for ANY XPS 8300 system that is using ATI 5770, 6850, and 6870 GFX cards. It will also work with any REFERENCE DESIGN nVidia GTX 5xx Series card. These cards can be picked up from most local places such as Fry's, BestBuy, and the like.Things you will need to complete this guide …Any SATA Hard drive, 1TB or smaller.2 USB Keys, one at least 8GiB, second for the tools you will need for Post install.The AppStore version of the OSX Lion Installer, OR, a RETAIL USB Key from the Apple Store with Lion on it.The open mind to not get frustrated if everything doesn't work the first shot. ;)This guide will set you up with OS X Lion 10.7, and you will be able to update to 10.7.2, without any need to change things after said update.Below is a single .zip file that i have supplied. In this file are ALL the tools i used to get my current install of OS X Lion running, with 99.8% stability. *The 0.02% is the fact that Sleep does NOT work.*All of these tools are available here on TMX86, but i have given these to you because they are what i used, and are proven to work.iDell-Tools.zipAlright, lets get started!First things first, use UniBeast to create your bootable USB stick. Follow Tony's guide to the letter, or it will NOT work!*****Please Note!!***** I created my own USB Bootable stick using the xMove process. If you wish, you can use that method as well. You must use the guide for it, to the letter as well. But instead of your main drive as the target, set up a USB Stick to be the target.So, you now have a bootable USB stick. What now?Enter your BIOS at boot up, spam the F12 button to get to the boot selection screen. Instead of choosing a boot drive, enter SetUp.Make sure your Hard Drive mode is set to AHCI. F10 to save and exit.Spam the F12 button again, this time, booting from your USB stick with the Lion Installer on it.Boot into the installer.Select your language, and whatnot. At the actual installer screen, go to the menu bar, and select disk utility. Set the target drive that you want to install OS X to, as a single partition, set the table to GUID, and format it in OS X Extended (Journeled).Once the utility has completed its task, close it, and continue with the install to your formatted drive.Sit tight for about 12-15 minutes, have a sammich, or a drink. Once the installer is done, it will re-boot. Let it count down on its own, and once it re-boots, spam F12 again to get to the boot options. Select the USB stick. At the boot loader, select your freshly installed Lion install."Ok, I'm at a desktop, now what do i do?" Remember that second USB stick i mentioned? You did put the .zip file from this guide on it, right? ;)Plug the second USB stick in, and take the zip file from this post, and drop it on the desktop.Double click it to de-compress the files in it. If you get a warning msg, just say its ok to open it, and proceed.You will notice there are 5 files. Files.pngMultiBeast 3.8.0KextBeastChimera 1.5.4.1BCM5722D.kextIONetworkingFamily.kextFirst one we want to run, is MultiBeast.You want to have the following options checked for the install.Settings.pngOnce MultiBeast has done its thing, you can eject the Bootable USB stick, and do a re-boot.Let it boot as normal, and you should be back to your desktop.Once there, drag the IONetworkingFamily next from its folder, and put it on the desktop, along with KextBeast. Run KextBeast and it will install the networking kext. Repair permissions, and reboot.Once back to the desktop, move the IONetworking kext to the trash.Now drag the BCM5722D.kext file to the desktop, and run KextBeast again.Repair permissions, and reboot again.You're almost done!!Now for the final step. Drag Chimera 1.5.4.1 from the folder, to the desktop. Run it, and re-boot.Once you are at your desktop, you should be able to access the Internet, log into iCloud, AppStore, and the iTunes store, with no problems.I hope you enjoy your new iDell, cause i sure do enjoy mine! :)***To do the update to 10.7.2 … From the menu bar, select Software Update, and let it do its thing. Let it install all updates it finds. When its done, the system will re-boot. If you have any issues logging into iCloud, AppStore, or iTunes, re-run Chimera, and it should fix it.Many thanks to TonyMac, MacMan, Gordo74, and many others for the help along the way.
w8q1y0.png
*****10.7.3 Update successful!*****Use Software Update, and select the Update to 10.7.3. It should show it as a 730MiB file.Install it, and it will re-boot. You should encounter zero issues. I didn't. Sound, Network, iTunes / AppStore all working as they should be. :)
343ql1d.png
http://youtu.be/4m4jxQ-NtGg?hd=1~~Grave

Attachments

• Settings.png
    Settings.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,862
  • Files.png
    Files.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,611
Motherboard
Custom build
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
MSI Hawk
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Re: [SUCCESS] Project "iDell" XPS 8300 *Lion 10.7*

Hi Gravewyrm, thanks for the guide.
My XPS 8300 runs Lion fine. The only thing that driving me is the ethernet.
I can connect to the internet fine. But as you said the upload rate is very slow.
I don't know if this have some connection with the upload rate, but everytime I want to copy file(s) to a windows network share (smb://), the progress bar just keep showing 'estimated time remaining' and hangs the Finder.

Have you made any progress on wired LAN kext or wireless kext?

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

vjun said:
Hi Gravewyrm, thanks for the guide.
My XPS 8300 runs Lion fine. The only thing that driving me is the ethernet.
I can connect to the internet fine. But as you said the upload rate is very slow.
I don't know if this have some connection with the upload rate, but everytime I want to copy file(s) to a windows network share (smb://), the progress bar just keep showing 'estimated time remaining' and hangs the Finder.

Have you made any progress on wired LAN kext or wireless kext?

Unfortunately, i have not. I've been digging trying to find a fix for the wired LAN kext, but I'm not a coding guru, so its being elusive.

As for wireless, I have yet to find a PCI-E Half Mini card that will work. I currently have a 1501 * came stock with my Dell* and a 1397. The 1397 worked flawless in Snow Leopard up to 10.6.8. Lion broke it tho. So now, I'm off to find a new one that will work. Going to hit a local shop today (repair place that I'm in good repor with). Ill post if i find anything, and a fix for what i do find.

I will also be updating this guide with a secondary method that has proven to be very handy, faster, and a great "Fall Back" or Safety Net method.

~~Grave

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Update.

Got wireless back. Using a 1397 Half Mini PCI-e WiFi card. Only supports B and G sadly :/
Better than nothing tho.

Install the attached file using KextHelper b7 * comes with MultiBeast, under OS X Software*
Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext.zip
Reboot after repairing permissions.
Navigate to S/L/E and delete IO80211Family.kext.
Repair permissions using DiskUtility.
Reboot.
???
Profit.

:thumbup:

~~Grave

Attachments

• Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 467
Motherboard
iDell (XPS 8300)
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Is a second hard drive necessary? I don't want to go buy another hard drive, and I definitely do not want to format my windows one either.

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Jessesmithca said:
Is a second hard drive necessary? I don't want to go buy another hard drive, and I definitely do not want to format my windows one either.

No, its not needed, i will change the guide soon to reflect a new method i came up with to get a clean install. It is advisable tho to have at least a 320Gb drive that you can use to clone working installs with. This gives you room to work with as far as keeping files that you don't want to burn to DvD, or re-installing programs that can take hours *World of Warcraft anyone? lol.*

As per formatting the windows drive ... I personally removed all semblance of MS products from my 8300. The OS Install DVD that comes with your Dell has all the stuff you need should you ever decide to go back to Windows. There are actually 2 DVD's that came with your Dell. The OS DVD, and the Utilities / Driver DVD. Those 2 disks are all you need to get back to factory running specs. The best part about it is, the OS DVD is a PRE-Activated OS. No re-activation needed to re-install, no Key Codes, or anything. Plus, its free of the added Bloat that is installed by Dell. ;)

~~Grave

Motherboard
iDell (XPS 8300)
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

I would love to clone OSX onto the 1.5TB hard drive that came with the 8300, but I remember reading something saying you can't use a hard drive higher than 1TB. What do I have to do to ensure everything runs smoothly?

Secondly, I don't have to remove 4 of my 8GB of ram to do this do I?

EDIT: I meant to ask if I can use an external hard drive to clone the working install, as I have one of those.

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Jessesmithca said:
I would love to clone OSX onto the 1.5TB hard drive that came with the 8300, but I remember reading something saying you can't use a hard drive higher than 1TB. What do I have to do to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Secondly, I don't have to remove 4 of my 8GB of ram to do this do I?

EDIT: I meant to ask if I can use an external hard drive to clone the working install, as I have one of those.

You can use the 1.5TB dive, just partition it into 2 drives @ 750GB each. :) Then you can have a Dual Boot with Win7 / OS X if you so choose.

As per RAM Removal: I didn't have to remove any ram. I installed with 8GiB installed and it went fine.

External HD: I don't see why you couldn't. I have never tried to do it, as i have 2x 1TB drives, and an 80GiB i use for testing, all internal SATA drives.

I will change my Lion guide tonight. It will only require that you have already done the download of Lion, done the partition to let xMove do its magic, and an 8GiB flash drive.
The guide will be for a CLEAN install of Lion, meaning you will lose your existing 10.6.x install, so cloning is a MUST if anything should go wrong.

Stay tuned, new guide will be posted in a few hours. :)

~~Grave

Motherboard
iDell (XPS 8300)
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Thank you so much Gravewyrm. I don't know if you saw my post in my other thread you responded to about the bluetooth dongle, but you have been the one to respond on all of my beginner questions in doing all of this. I cannot tell you how helpful you have been, thank you very much.

Motherboard
iGrave
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Jessesmithca said:
Thank you so much Gravewyrm. I don't know if you saw my post in my other thread you responded to about the bluetooth dongle, but you have been the one to respond on all of my beginner questions in doing all of this. I cannot tell you how helpful you have been, thank you very much.

Its my pleasure. :)

~~Grave