Contribute
Register

::SUCCESS:: Pro Audio Rack mounted water-cooled Asus Gryphon z97 Build with Thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS GRYPHON Z97
CPU
INTEL CORE i7 - 4790K
Graphics
ONBOARD

Pro Audio Production Build:
ASUS GRYPHON Z97 ARMOR EDITION - i7-4790K - HD4600 Intel Graphics​

Components

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor

Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

ASUS GRYPHON Z97 ARMOR EDITION Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2x2x8gb)1600 DDR3

Asus ThunderboltEX II/DUAL Thunderbolt PCIe Adapter'] Asus ThunderboltEX II/DUAL Thunderbolt PCIe Adapter

TP-LINK N900 Wireless PCIe Adapter - Plug and Play

GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter USB Dongle - Don't buy extended range version

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

Seagate ST32000644NS 2TB SATA 3Gb/S 7200rpm 64MB Desktop Hard Drive

Seasonic SS-400L2U 400W 80 Plus Gold EPS12V 2U Server Power Supply

Apple 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display (Certified Refurbished)

IN-WIN r300-00 Rackmount Case

MOTU 1248 Thunderbolt Audio Interface

Comments

This is my first post and first build, it went rather smoothly, and I am extremely happy with the performance results.

I installed Thunderbolt drivers on a windows partition to enable Thunderbolt. In the BIOS, I set Wake by Thunderbolt device to disabled. I have a fully working Apple Thunderbolt Display with audio and video.

Also, my MOTU 1248 is working very well via Thunderbolt with no issues as all.

The Bluetooth Dongle has been plug and play in earlier OS X releases but lost that compatibility with El Capitan according to numerous posts i have read. My work around is as follows....
Download the latest patch here and follow the instructions found here. I used EasyKext Utility to install the kext (found here)​
Now, the Bluetooth Dongle instantly found my Apple Magic keyboard and trackpad!

Let me know if you have any questions :!:

I will be updating this post with links to the exact parts I used.

Last edited:
Well done on a great, clean-looking build :thumbup:

I'm not familiar with rack-mounted equipment but I guess it all fits in with the sound system you're using.

The PSU is obviously designed to keep running 24/7 being a server type but is the rack quiet enough for you being a pro audio build in a studio setting? How about the Corsair water-cooler? I've often wondered if the pump on those is noisy or not.

Anyway, look forward to more details as you post them.

:)

Well done on a great, clean-looking build :thumbup:

I'm not familiar with rack-mounted equipment but I guess it all fits in with the sound system you're using.

The PSU is obviously designed to keep running 24/7 being a server type but is the rack quiet enough for you being a pro audio build in a studio setting? How about the Corsair water cooler? I've often wondered if the pump on those is noisy or not.

Anyway, look forward to more details as you post them.

:)

Thanks!

The PSU is actually quieter than the fans I am using, and the fans I am using are virtually silent. so all in all the build has no noticeable noise that affects any kind of recording done close to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back