Contribute
Register

[Success] PK's HTPC: i7-8700K | ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX | 16GB | UHD 630 | High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok latest update is that I was able to get everything except Thunderbolt up and running. I am connecting an Apollo Twin via TB3 > TB2 adapter and system profiler says nothing is connected and UA console doesn't see device. Any assistance with this would be really appreciated as I am using this machine as my daily driver in my home studio and need thunderbolt for my interface.
Any luck with the UAD Apollo>?

Any luck with the UAD Apollo>?
I have a Apollo Twin Duo up and running with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. I followed a bunch of guides and got there without much understanding of what exactly I was doing but if you have any specific questions I can share my config.plist and bios settings.

Performance and Temperatures
This new machine is suuuuper quiet and cool. Part of this is my fans. Part is the case. My idle temps average 25C. At load its mid 50Cs. With my 5.2Gz OC, idle temps are about the same because of the power management. Under load, hitting mid 60Cs which is damn good. When stress tested, temps maxed out at 78C. This is quite impressive in my view.

See my Geekbench 4 results (stock and OC) at the end.

Hey I may be doing something wrong but I cannot see any Geekbench images at the end. Super curious to see what you achieved!

I'm running an almost identical set up to yours except with a 1070 but I'm having a lot of performance issues. I'm only getting Geekbench single core scores of 5800 while getting 6500 while in windows. Whats more is that performance of any single threaded process within Adobe CC is much slower then what the benchmarks would account for.

Tried running the power management ktext but keep getting this permissions error:

failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Any thoughts on what I could be missing overall?

LGLGLGLG, please share your config.plist and BIOS settings! And list of your kexts, if you will. I've stuck to make my thunderbolt working. Only FireWire mode works, and it's very very unstable. Really need this to work, but in subject topic there is no clear explanation on how to do that. Thanks.

Please share your info. I got this Fatal1ty Gaming-iTX precisely for the TB3 port. want to use it with the Apogee Element...
thanks

Please share your info. I got this Fatal1ty Gaming-iTX precisely for the TB3 port. want to use it with the Apogee Element...
thanks
I likewise bought board for Thunderbolt (Apollo8)
Not encouraged by no more responses
Don’t make me go to win10!

I likewise bought board for Thunderbolt (Apollo8)
Not encouraged by no more responses
Don’t make me go to win10!

Yeah, I will never buy another Thunderbolt device, especially with this diaper-fire of Thunderbolt 3. It's just not worth it. At this point I'd rather use my working DigiDesign 003R that actually works, has onboard MIDI, and tracks sample rate changes in Windows 10. It's only 2ms "slower" than my Apollo 8 Quad. I just don't care anymore about the superiority of my Apollo 8 Quad. It sounds amazing via my 2012 Mini 2.6GHz. But, if I can't get a high-spec machine going to use it (my Mac Mini is actually a better performer –despite what the Geekbench 4– then it's a waste of time and money.

I see no pictures of your work(s) and a build without pictures means nothing to me. Sounds like something Neilhart would do. Cable management not important, I never go into my case after it is built, even to clean out the cat hair, why do cable managment? I am surprised they let you post this as a build without evidental pics, posted with the Biblical template...

Yeah, I will never buy another Thunderbolt device, especially with this diaper-fire of Thunderbolt 3. It's just not worth it. At this point I'd rather use my working DigiDesign 003R that actually works, has onboard MIDI, and tracks sample rate changes in Windows 10. It's only 2ms "slower" than my Apollo 8 Quad. I just don't care anymore about the superiority of my Apollo 8 Quad. It sounds amazing via my 2012 Mini 2.6GHz. But, if I can't get a high-spec machine going to use it (my Mac Mini is actually a better performer –despite what the Geekbench 4– then it's a waste of time and money.
Yes, Windows support for Thunderbolt has been disturbingly sparse, and there are the siimilar "type C" interfaces, which are not the same. Actual on-board Intel Thunderbolt support is rare, and seemingly not improving. This if frustrating once you have a nice Apollo 8 along with their impressive software suite. I took a serious look at Macs, but their cute little 'closed/invisible' computers were a far cry from bountiful hard drive bays and easy expandability that I am used to - and the jacked up priices for the real power "cylinders" were not happy news.
It seems Apollo bet on Thunderbolt, but they are not enough to change the MB market.

On a possibly encouraging note, for interested parties, I did build (MB conversion) using the Gigabyte Z270X-UD5, which does have on board genuine Intel Thunderbolt port (no add in card - which are also hard to find). This requires Windows 10, but you can download a USB install free, and transfer your Win7 license to it. So this works fine with Apollo (using the required TB3/TB2 adaptor [Startech] ). AND, I did add a hard drive, and install MacOS/Clover, which does work INCLUDING the Thunderbolt port and Apollo 8 - running Apple Logc. (you have to be plugged during boot in for the TB port to work). That is 7th gen though, and they don't seem to give you price breaks for 'old stuff'. We want 6 core CoffeLake for about the same money.

For now, I have installed Windows 10 Pro (downloaded free), and am setting it up (getting into registry, and killing telemetrics, cortana to the extent I can). This does let me at least be sure my hardware is ok on my new i58600K system. (typing from there now).

P.S. I did (suprisingly- to me "oops") get audio devices to show up by actually bothering to upgrade the bios from 1.9 to P3.1.
Didn't make the audio WORK in MacOS, but, did show up. I may give Mac another try, but I was getting frustrated, and just want to see things "work".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back