Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Perfect Sierra build Asus Z170 Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dashingncool : if you want your two ethernet's connections OK, try to put AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext and (or) IntelMausiEthernet.kext in efi/clover/kexts/other... I think it is good...

I installed voodoo on Sierra with the file linked above. I now have very loud static and hissing. I have an Asus z170a. how do I remove voodoo. Can't find the kext folder.

You can keep Voodoo.
Here is how to fix the static noise:

Go to system Preferences. Go to VoodoHDA there. Set the Input gain to ZERO. For every 3.5mm jack that you are having the static noise at. It worked for me-

@dashingncool

Thanks for your Tutorial!! I Got Sierra 10.12.4 running fine with 17,1 Definition.

A few important questions:

First of All: You uploaded your complete EFI, which is nice.Thanks for that.
BUT: you need to remove/ change your serial data from the SMBIOS section. Because everyone (who is a beginner, just as me) who will download your EFI will use your exact same serial. This might break your iMessage some time, right?
Everybody should create their OWN serial using Clover Configurator and the iMessage Tutorial from Tonymacx86... Please put that in post Nr.1

Second: I replaced the AppleIntelE1000E.kext with IntelMausiEthernet.kext. You should really try that. Also you would need to delete the AppleIntelE1000E.kext from /System/Library/Extensions in order for the Mause driver to work...
with Mausi the ethernet cable does not get unplugged every time the system wakes up from sleep. This is fantastic. Also the hibernation is now working properly. Before it was always waking up from sleep directly after all fans turned off...

Third: Only one or two USB 3.0 ports are working with your EFI.
All other ports are 2.0 speed. System Information shows everything connected to it as 480 Bit/s
Is it possible to fix that? Do I need to edit something in the DSDT? I have no Idea how to do that...

Fourth: Which Version of UEFI / Bios are you currently using?
I am on the latest version 3401 (March 2017). This was necessary for my RAM and PSU to work properly.
Is there hardware support for NVRAM with this Version? I heard it was broken with firmwares past 2201 ...But is it really?
I used the EmuVariableUefi-64 and installed the RC-Scripts with Clover because I am not sure...
--> I want to enable FileVault 2. But you need hardware NVRAM support to be able to use hibernation with FileFault. Thats why I am asking ...

Fifth: I am using the following Bluetooth Drivers with the built in Bluetooth card
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
Everything works fine (not in BIOS). But my MagicMouse 2 has stutters sometimes. Even though the antenna is only 50 cm away. Do you have an Idea why ? Maybe the standart Asus antenna is a bit crappy?

sixth: Using VoodooHDA 2.8.8 the Audio Inputs are not working. So, no microphone support.
Did you get the ALC 1150 Driver running?

seventh: Instead of The AGDPfix.app I found out that in 10.12.4 you can use Clover to fix the black screen with Pikes method. This should survive updates:
add to your config.plist:

Code:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>(c)Pike R. Alpha</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>Ym9hcmQtaWQ=</data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>Ym9hcmQtaXg=</data>
            </dict>
        </array>

eighth: If I boot with TWO Monitors connected to my GTX1080 (One projector on HDMI and one Monitor on DisplayPort) I get a black screen after the apple boot screen. If I boot with the Projector- HDMI disconnected it boots fine.
Can I somehow disable one monitor during Boot in Clover? Or is there another Fix? AGDPfix.app Does not help... So I have no clue why I get a black screen....

ninth: I can not boot into the recovery partition using my altered version of EFI / Clover .
Could you please have a look, why? It is working when I use your EFI version. But I don't see the big difference. I only added a few drivers and my own SMBIOS definition to clover and updated it to 4061...

Thank you again !!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
@dashingncool @wise-rice
Awesome right-up! Are there any significant differences in the installation process if I would use the Asus Z170 Deluxe or PRO instead of the Premium? As I understand the Asus Premium, Deluxe, Pro all have USB-C, TB 3 and NVMe capability.
Or can I follow the instruction as described?

Is it possible to start with a Sierra installation instead of El Cap and then update?

And @wise-rice did you get FileVault2 to run? And I assume TB3 works too of the motherboard?

Last edited:
@dashingncool

Thanks for your Tutorial!! I Got Sierra 10.12.4 running fine with 17,1 Definition.

A few important questions:

BUT: you need to remove/ change your serial data from the SMBIOS section. Because everyone (who is a beginner, just as me) who will download your EFI will use your exact same serial. This might break your iMessage some time, right?
Everybody should create their OWN serial using Clover Configurator and the iMessage Tutorial from Tonymacx86... Please put that in post Nr.1

Second: I replaced the AppleIntelE1000E.kext with IntelMausiEthernet.kext. You should really try that. Also you would need to delete the AppleIntelE1000E.kext from /System/Library/Extensions in order for the Mause driver to work...
with Mausi the ethernet cable does not get unplugged every time the system wakes up from sleep. This is fantastic. Also the hibernation is now working properly. Before it was always waking up from sleep directly after all fans turned off...

All other ports are 2.0 speed. System Information shows everything connected to it as 480 Bit/s
Is it possible to fix that? Do I need to edit something in the DSDT? I have no Idea how to do that...

Fourth: Which Version of UEFI / Bios are you currently using?
I am on the latest version 3401 (March 2017). This was necessary for my RAM and PSU to work properly.
Is there hardware support for NVRAM with this Version? I heard it was broken with firmwares past 2201 ...But is it really?
I used the EmuVariableUefi-64 and installed the RC-Scripts with Clover because I am not sure...
--> I want to enable FileVault 2. But you need hardware NVRAM support to be able to use hibernation with FileFault. Thats why I am asking ...

Fifth: I am using the following Bluetooth Drivers with the built in Bluetooth card
Everything works fine (not in BIOS). But my MagicMouse 2 has stutters sometimes. Even though the antenna is only 50 cm away. Do you have an Idea why ? Maybe the standart Asus antenna is a bit crappy?

sixth: Using VoodooHDA 2.8.8 the Audio Inputs are not working. So, no microphone support.
Did you get the ALC 1150 Driver running?

seventh: Instead of The AGDPfix.app I found out that in 10.12.4 you can use Clover to fix the black screen with Pikes method. This should survive updates:
add to your config.plist:

Code:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>(c)Pike R. Alpha</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>Ym9hcmQtaWQ=</data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>Ym9hcmQtaXg=</data>
            </dict>
        </array>

eighth: If I boot with TWO Monitors connected to my GTX1080 (One projector on HDMI and one Monitor on DisplayPort) I get a black screen after the apple boot screen. If I boot with the Projector- HDMI disconnected it boots fine.
Can I somehow disable one monitor during Boot in Clover? Or is there another Fix? AGDPfix.app Does not help... So I have no clue why I get a black screen....

ninth: I can not boot into the recovery partition using my altered version of EFI / Clover .
Could you please have a look, why? It is working when I use your EFI version. But I don't see the big difference. I only added a few drivers and my own SMBIOS definition to clover and updated it to 4061...

Thank you again !!!

I know it is a bit late, but I've found a way to use the ALC1150 onboard audio card on a similar motherboard (Asus Z170 Deluxe).

Restore the Audio compartment to its original form (native AppleHDA, remove all the config.plist patches, etc, remove the Realtek kext if you have it, etc). Following Toleda's guide apply these fixes on the config.plist:

• AddDTGP_0001/YES
  • FixHDA_8000/YES

Restart and launch the alc120 command: https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC.

Sadly I am still struggling with the Onboard Bluetooth.

Cheers

@wise-rice Yes you are right, it breaks the iMessage. But I use a different serial number for my machine :) Also, I had to fix (make constant) some of the parameters to get iMessages to work all the time, otherwise, they were highly unreliable after restart.

You are right, I didn't delete the E1000E kext. Thats why it was crashing.

This is really weird because I have all the 4 3.0 ports working with 3.0 speed (plus 2 in the front of my case). I didn't change anything in my DSDT (because I don't know how to haha).

Wow, this is Deja Vu. This used to happen to me in El Capitan. Sierra somehow fixed this problem for a while but then it started to happen again. I never found a fix and after a while I switched to a logitech mouse (I just happen to like it more than the touch pad). But you are right, this does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back