Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Perfect Sierra build Asus Z170 Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep Wake works fine for one time. If I log in without letting it sleep again, it works. If not, then I have to reconnect the monitor cable. And another problem is that after sleep, the Ethernet cable becomes unplugged.

Display-NVidia
Get the latest web driver from NVidia's website. Install it and reboot.

So did you have the card installed already when you ran installation? In your other guide you mentioned you pulled it out for initial installation. I'm guessing that no injections are required for the gtx 960 during the Graphical Config part of UniBeast?

Thanks

Last edited:
my gtx 960 enables after installing web..smbios is imac 17.1
Thanks @zlei. I'm looking at running a GA Z170 HD3 with i5 6400 and GTX 950 Extreme and just wanted to get the process right in my head first.

Specifications

• Asus Z170 Premium
  • Skylake i-6600K
  • Nvidia GTX 960
  • Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB x 2
  • Samsung NVMe 950 Pro 256 x 1
  • G.Skill 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM 8 x 4
  • Samsung UHD monitor 4K@60Hz x 2
Let me start by answering these questions first.

What is working?

• Graphics 4K @60 Hz
  • Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • NVMe
  • 1 Ethernet port
  • WiFi including 5GHz (Out of box) (this was the best part)
  • USB 3.1, 3.0, 2.0 (Out of box)
  • All the front ports Audio, USB 3.0 x 2 (Out of box)
  • AirPlay, AirDrop, iCloud, Continuity, Handoff, Facetime, iMessages, Appstore
  • What else....
Enjoy your Sierra!

I would like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH Dashingncool because you made it possible for me to have a brand new powerful Mac without having to wait forever for Apple to get to their senses again and to propose a semi-pro computer like I need.

My config is almost the same as yours, except for the graphics card (I took a 970 GTX) and the Ram which is 3200 Mhz 16 x 2

I also have an LG 4K screen, but it's irrelevant here.

Everything is working fine for now, I didn't try Thunderbolt 3 for the moment (I have nothing to plug to it !)

My two cents for the setup

I installed the official Sierra 12.1 release with Tonymac latest Clover (date 11/11/2016)

On the mother board I had to disable the second Lan AND the thunderbolt, the rest is the same as your explanations.

Now I have a big quiet Corsair Carbide 600Q chassis with 1 Tb SSD (2.5"), 4 3.5" internal Hard drives (3+3+4+4 Tb).

Airdrop is working perfectly with my iPad Air 2, I use a mac keyboard (the wired one with num pad), a Bluetooth touch pad from apple and a Steelserie Mouse. All the USB (2,0 3,0 and 3,1 ports) work fine. I have an intuos pad, an usb midi keyboard, a MOTU external sound card and a Fiio external DAC, they work perfectly with all the internal in/out from my sound card.

And I use 2 screens from my 970 GTX : 4K and Full HD

The computer is silent, blasing fast, has a lot of upgradeability possibilities !

With your step by step installation guide, it took me one day to get the computer fully working and another day to copy all the data I had on external drives on my 2012 MacMini to the internal drives.

PS : I let it as 14,2 so it says 2013 iMac but that's fine for me, I don't care for names ;-)

Thanks again ! I ow you :)

I would like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH Dashingncool because you made it possible for me to have a brand new powerful Mac without having to wait forever for Apple to get to their senses again and to propose a semi-pro computer like I need.

My config is almost the same as yours, except for the graphics card (I took a 970 GTX) and the Ram which is 3200 Mhz 16 x 2

I also have an LG 4K screen, but it's irrelevant here.

Everything is working fine for now, I didn't try Thunderbolt 3 for the moment (I have nothing to plug to it !)

My two cents for the setup

I installed the official Sierra 12.1 release with Tonymac latest Clover (date 11/11/2016)

On the mother board I had to disable the second Lan AND the thunderbolt, the rest is the same as your explanations.

Now I have a big quiet Corsair Carbide 600Q chassis with 1 Tb SSD (2.5"), 4 3.5" internal Hard drives (3+3+4+4 Tb).

Airdrop is working perfectly with my iPad Air 2, I use a mac keyboard (the wired one with num pad), a Bluetooth touch pad from apple and a Steelserie Mouse. All the USB (2,0 3,0 and 3,1 ports) work fine. I have an intuos pad, an usb midi keyboard, a MOTU external sound card and a Fiio external DAC, they work perfectly with all the internal in/out from my sound card.

And I use 2 screens from my 970 GTX : 4K and Full HD

The computer is silent, blasing fast, has a lot of upgradeability possibilities !

With your step by step installation guide, it took me one day to get the computer fully working and another day to copy all the data I had on external drives on my 2012 MacMini to the internal drives.

PS : I let it as 14,2 so it says 2013 iMac but that's fine for me, I don't care for names ;-)

Thanks again ! I ow you :)

Feels so good!! I am glad that you got it working :). Even I am thinking of reverting to 14,2. Because I updated Sierra and after reboot, the displays went blank. And I spent half an hour fixing it. I have updated the guide.

I've tried and tried and tried again, but I cannot for the life of me get this working. Every time I go to boot up with your EFI replacing the one created with Clover. It seems like there's a kernel panic but I cannot understand what would be causing it at this point. I've tried to install macOS probably 10 times now, between only doing the tutorial in step 2 and using UniBeast, and every time it's managed to get messed up and ends up with the prohibited symbol the second I restart. I've gone through making the flash drive probably 25 to 30 times and better than half have ended up with the prohibited symbol. Please help! I just want to get this working!

I've tried and tried and tried again, but I cannot for the life of me get this working. Every time I go to boot up with your EFI replacing the one created with Clover. It seems like there's a kernel panic but I cannot understand what would be causing it at this point. I've tried to install macOS probably 10 times now, between only doing the tutorial in step 2 and using UniBeast, and every time it's managed to get messed up and ends up with the prohibited symbol the second I restart. I've gone through making the flash drive probably 25 to 30 times and better than half have ended up with the prohibited symbol. Please help! I just want to get this working!

I did not understand much from your comment. The kernel panic might must be leaving a stack trace. Can you post that? Also, as I mentioned in guide, I did not use Unibeast at all. It was vanilla image with clover installed on top manually. Its hard to say without seeing any logs. Also, boot in the verbose mode. The prohibited symbol must be coming due to an underlying kernel panic.

Tip: I usually click a burst of photos during boot up because logs move too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back