Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Overclocked GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Core i7-4770K - GTX770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. it took me a while to convince the rest of the guys here, and i was the only one using it for almost a year until i told the guy, TRY IT. he never went back. Though there's some sync problems we have in Filemaker and remote sharing at times but the pros out weighs the cons by far

I have 2 2009 mac pro at the office (2x2,26 xeon).
When i first ran Geekbench, I was a bit disappointed: the hack performed 10% higher compare to the old macpro.
But then a start working with AE, and the difference is just huge. Scenes rendered around 2 or 3 times faster then the mac pro.
So I think it's a pretty good choice!
Cons are when I see how abc123kazu pushed the OC at such a level, I'm a bit frustrated. :lol::D

@tommyhollander

You should read the Dual Boot Section.
There's actually a correct way to install windows when you're dual booting.
I've actually had trouble getting windows to boot once i installed OSX.
There's a specific SATA mode it needs to be in to install dualboot.

i cannot say anything about the onboard bluetooth or wifi personally.
I use all wired keyboard and trackball.
Also my system is a strickly work computer so it does not connect to the internet.
But i think everybody uses TP-Link Wifi cards i believe.

Yes that is the correct install guide!

ASUS generally makes the best cards out of the bunch but i got Gigabyte because it was cheap on Black Friday. lol
But at the end of the day they're all chinese made and consistency is iffy...

Most probably RAM. i've tried 1866 vs 2133 and it was about 1000 points i believe.
i wonder if graphics card and internal harddrive plays a factor?

@123abckazu

Got the it working at 4.5Ghz.
Geekbench gave me 3737 / 15312
Pretty low compared to what you get. I believe this came from the memory multiplier that is sticked to 16?
What do you think?

Most probably RAM. i've tried 1866 vs 2133 and it was about 1000 points i believe.
i wonder if graphics card and internal harddrive plays a factor?

geekbench is focus on the CPU perfs.

Strange tho, sometimes I get lower results on geekbench and higher on C4D :)

5x Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
@abc123kazu
You have 5 SSD's. May I ask why? For OSX I suppose, but the rest? also (in a raid?) for previews/ media/ cache?

i've tried 1866 vs 2133 and it was about 1000 points i believe.
So 2133 RAM can improve the benchmarks with 1000? I thought to go for 1600, because the 'computer shop' suggested it and you have 1600 in your build as well.

PROMISE VTrak E-Class .... It's a 4Gb Fiber Optic San Harddrive enclosure.

One reason for me to get a hackintosh (and not the New Mac Pro),was so I could use more HDD's internally. (as I already have some 3tb Seagate Barracuda, and many Esata, Firewire, USB 3, externals.)

This Promise will be too expensive/ big. Is it possible to get some similar speed internally ? (Super) fast for video editing? Is a RAID 0 (2x 7200 RPM 3TB) much slower compared to your 'optic fiber San?' If I need to purchase it anyway would you think I'd better go for some extra SSD drives (for premiere Cache, previews)
or Thunderbolt drives. (althought the Thunderbolt Promise, and drives are very expensive as well, and again is external)

@abc123kazu

What is the max temp for your CPU?

I get 90/99° on stress test at 4.5Ghz, think it's pretty hot.

@tommyhollander

1 SSD- Mac OSX
1 SSD- Windows
1 SSD- Exports
2 SSD RAID 0 - previews/cache

you shouldn't be too concerned about benchmarks but faster ram does help rendering in AE big time.

yes your RAID 0 7200RPM will probably significantly slower.
At one time (like 5 years ago) you did need these kind of drives for speed to edit 4:2:2 uncompressed or r3d files in real time. i think they're close to 1 gb/sec read/write.
But nowadays most HD compressed materials can be done on something like a SAS based RAID 5 or the promise thunderbolt.
If i had the choice again in 2013, i would have probably went with the thunderbolt promise or a External SAS enclosure.
You're never going to match the speed with a 2 internal drives versus a 16 drive. Also redundancy is very crucial for our line of work. i need the RAID 5 with 2x spare drives.

And yes, video editing i never believed the computer is the expensive item. The harddrive always has been and will be i believe.

you know i haven't really paid too close attention but i am staying way below that.
I don't even think i hit those temperatures at 4.7

1st thing to check always. (i've done this)
make sure my CPU cooler is placed correctly.
you have enough fans in your case?
air flow good?

then you gotta start looking at the CPU. what are your voltages?

@abc123kazu

What is the max temp for your CPU?

I get 90/99° on stress test at 4.5Ghz, think it's pretty hot.

UPDATED 01/28/2014
Red Rocket Card Installation.
It's now time to put this bad boy to work!
i installed the red rocket card in the 3rd PCI Slot and booted.
Installed the latest mac drivers and launced RCX. Software recognizes the card no problem.
Then i plug in a usb thumb drive and BOOM. The computer freezes.
Reboot. Repeat. FREEZE again.
So i Rebooted and tried the USB on all other ports.
They either freeze or unmount by itself and eventually freezes the computer.I try a different USB drive and same thing.
Remove the Red Rocket and everything is back to normal.I was not able to find any answer or solution on this site but found something on Red User Forum.
It's a frequent problem with the Gigabyte UD5 Series motherboards.
The specific article are on z77-ud5h/th boards.
If anything is inserted into the 2nd PCI-E Slot, the speed of the 3rd slot drops down from 8x to 4x.
The Red Rocket Required a 8x.

So i moved the video card to slot 3 and moved the Red Rocket up to the 1 slot at 16x.
Reboot.
Everything seems to be working.... for now.

will keep everybody updated on this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back