Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Overclocked GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Core i7-4770K - GTX770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally all 4770k can do close to 4700 or so stable with higher vcore, btw haswell imc is stronger than ivybridge you don't need +250 vtt (sa) and ioD and ioA at .250
Try lower maybe you are more stable

I find it interesting that you got pretty much everything doubled over my setup. I got i5-2500 vs i7, 16gb 1333 vs 2xxx, gtx470 1.25gb vs gtx 770 2gb... but we do have the same case! Love it. The thing is the benchmarks are also doubled! LOL

Thanks for posting your results, now I know what to expect if I ever would want to upgrade my machine ;)

I've read up on this on overclock site. if you load up any type of preset for boosting it overrides any manual adjustments.
Like i mentioned.
Boot into osx with XMP disabled first.
then reboot into osx with XMP profile1
then reboot into osx with multiplier increased just a little.
and work your way up one by one.
Actually in my previous z77x-UD5h build,
i had a similar problem and it was a defective motherboard.
so first i'd try some different memory. then swap that memory into a different board.

Thks again abc123kazu.

There must be an hardware issue somewhere for me.

I've loaded the default optimized settings first.
reboot
Then turn the XMP
reboot
increased the multiplier to 18
reboot: won't pass the bios check.
Then back to 16.
turn to extrem VRIN calibration
reboot
tweaked the CPU settings you mention in your first post
reboot
increased the multiplier to 18
reboot: won't pass the bios check.
:/

@tommyhollander

i personally think you shouldn't ultimately decide by the scores. probably a dual core is faster then your 2008 mac pro. The FBS is 3-5 times faster now days.

i cannot speak for others but to me,
video editing has been mostly offloaded onto fast harddrives and better video cards.
and usually with larger video files you cut with proxies. you color correct with stills.

you should check this but,
a year back i edited AVCHD natively and noticed my blacks were getting crushed in premiere.
It turns out that the Mac OSX doesn't really interpret the gamma's correctly.
Try playing it back in VLC vs Quicktime. VLC is the right colors with the blacks lifted and flatter.
You get the *CRUSHED* look on premiere as well.
Since i took notice i did some research and others had this issue.
Unfortunately you have to convert to Pro-res and edit to retain the original colors...
But on windows it works natively. i've tried that at a later time for tests as well.

Thanks! will give it a shot.

Normally all 4770k can do close to 4700 or so stable with higher vcore, btw haswell imc is stronger than ivybridge you don't need +250 vtt (sa) and ioD and ioA at .250
Try lower maybe you are more stable

Do you have another computer you can verify that with?
i didn't do that once and thought it was the ram but it was really the motherboard. Im sure it can be viceversa as well....

Thks again abc123kazu.

There must be an hardware issue somewhere for me.

UPDATE:
4.7Ghz/Uncore 4.3Ghz/2133Mhz
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 6.43.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 6.47.41 PM.png
Getting to 4.7Ghz and 2133Mhz RAM stable simultaneously was bit of a challenge for me.
I don't think i got a very good batch of CPU.
At 4.6Ghz i had a boot up problem but increasing the Vcore up 0.02V did the job.
Did a brief test for 2 hours while doing other things but the goal for me was 4.7-8 range.

I brought the RAM speed back down to 1866Mhz for this initial "4.7" realm.
i must have restarted 50+ times increasing incrementally for
VCore, VRin Override, Ring Voltage.
Though it booted, it would fail the Prime95 Torture test instantaneously.
So i rebooted and ran the Basic, Medium, Extreme testing sequentially and adjusted them until i was able to run Prime95 for 2 hours, then it froze. Adjust again and this time we completed 4 hours.

I now bumped the RAM back up to 2133Mhz and CRASHED.
Adjustments were made and tests repeated until stable for 4 hours on Prime95 Torture.
Increased the Uncore CPU Clock up to 4.3Ghz from default 4.0Ghz
as i've read about OC'ing should be within 300-500 mhz from CPU Speed to prevent being a bottleneck.

My initial goal with this machine was 4.8Ghz but with the fatigue and troubles i had with this particular chip i decided to call it OK at 4.7Ghz. For my first attempt at over clocking i am pretty happy not with the results and feel i have a better understanding of how the components actually work.

We have an editing job starting tomorrow which will take up 2+ weeks so i am going to bump this back down to 4.5Ghz & 2133Mhz where i was comfortably stable.
It'll be fairly intense real world job with 6K material editing down at 4K with delivery at 1080p so it should give me a good sense of what this machines can really do.

My BIOS Settings for Overclocking CPU
VRIN Override Voltage 2.010V
VCore: 1.31V
Ring Voltage: 1.25V
CPU Multiplier: 47
BCLK: Auto
Turbo: Auto

Overclocking RAM

Enter Bios
Turn on XMP
System Memory Multiplier 21.33
Memory Timing (both Channel A & B)
CAS Latency 10
tRCD 10
tRP 10
tRAS 27
CPU System Agent Voltage +.250V
CPU I/O Analog Voltage +0.250V
CPU I/O Digital Voltage +0.250V

Don't forget to update your original post with this information. :thumbup:

video editing has been mostly offloaded onto fast harddrives and better video cards.
@abc123kazu Thanks for everything!

Of course I will take a very good videocard and raid or SSD drives, but it is hard for me to guess how much the impact will be of the processor (4 vs 6 cores) and if that will be the bottleneck.

probably a dual core is faster then your 2008 mac pro. The FBS is 3-5 times faster now days.
That is what I wonder. See Image My Dual Intel Xeon E5472 scores 7,824. The i7 4770k scores 10,106.
I wonder if this improvement will be enough to work fluently (I don't think it is 3-5 times faster)

Mac-pro-processor.png

Geekbench Multi:17.139
Congratulations! Most i7 4770K setups are only around 15.000. This is quite a big difference. but a question: the more you overclock, the more unstable it might become, right? (I don't want that in my case)

We have an editing job ... with 6K material editing down at 4K with delivery at 1080p so it should give me a good sense of what this machines can really do.
I didn’t expect 4-6K would be something smooth for this processor at all.
So PLEASE let us know how this is going.

I have a 2009 8 Core 3.2 Xeon here in the office, which has now pretty much become a printer machine.
It is night and day. But we used to still edit 4K on it. Again tho. We have fiberoptic hard drives here

We still have 2-3 12 core maxed Mac Pros around here but the 2 main editors here prefer the Hacky running i7 3770K with a GTX670. Again there is a r3d rocket installed tho.

i recently did a shoot out in LA and the D.T. was using a Hackintosh with 3770K. I was happy to see it on set. we got into a intense convo about it.

You see the greatest thing i always think about the Hackintosh's is the cost/performance. a 4770K system don't cost much. and by the time you need every ounce of power it has, you're computer parts will be 2 generations behind. Your Xeon will be old by then too.
My feeling is when i need it i'll get it.

I'm not saying don't go for a Xeon. But in the past i've made some regretful choices getting "The Best" for future speculation.
But if you feel you need that power in the near future. Then go for it.

My experience working on 4k r3d footage for about 5 years now, and uncompressed 4:2:2 1080p, i was even able to get the job done on a 2008/2009 mac pro with a quadro and a fiber optic hard drive array.
if you do lots of Cinema 4D or Auto Desk stuff tho, you should probably go with the Xeons.

Also we ordered a new Mac Pro specced out for location shooting.
We're waiting to to see how that render time vs Hackintosh vs old mac pro.

@abc123kazu Thanks for everything!

Of course I will take a very good videocard and raid or SSD drives, but it is hard for me to guess how much the impact will be of the processor (4 vs 6 cores) and if that will be the bottleneck.

That is what I wonder. See Image My Dual Intel Xeon E5472 scores 7,824. The i7 4770k scores 10,106.
I wonder if this improvement will be enough to work fluently (I don't think it is 3-5 times faster)

View attachment 81000

Congratulations! Most i7 4770K setups are only around 15.000. This is quite a big difference. but a question: the more you overclock, the more unstable it might become, right? (I don't want that in my case)

I didn’t expect 4-6K would be something smooth for this processor at all.
So PLEASE let us know how this is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back