Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] OS X 10.14.2 Mojave | i7-3930k | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX680-DirectCU II OC | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
UPDATE: System has been successfully upgraded to Mojave, see page 2 for details.

[SUCCESS]Core i7-3930k - Asus Sabertooth X79 - 16GB RAM - GTX680 DirectCU II OC - OS X ML 10.8.4 - Dual Boot

[SUCCESS]Core i7-3930k - Asus Sabertooth X79 - 16GB RAM - GTX680 DirectCU II OC- OS X ML 10.8.4 - Dual Boot

Components & Comments

Case: NZXT Phantom - White, Blue Trim
Great case in my opinion, comes with 4 case fans, 2 of them are slightly on the louder side when cranked all the way up, but at minimal speed they're barely noticeable.
Main reason i chose this case, is because it has a built in fan controller (FYI, the case fans connect to the fan controller and not to the mobo (might save you 1 hour of headache...))
2 fans located together on the side sucking air in, onto the drive bay (the slightly louder fans)
1 fan located at the top backside, sucking air out (in my case sucking air from the CPU heatsink)
1 big fan located at the top sucking air out of the case (location can be adjust to be slightly more to the front, or an extra fan can be installed) this fan also has blue led lights (on my case, depends on the trim/color you chose)
There's room for expanding your case with more fans in the front and one more big fan at the top
Has a side panel to stick your cables in(a bit on the thin side, but with a modular PSU you should be fine)
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-PHANTOM-Tower-White-PHAN-001WT/dp/B003WE9WQO/

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Main reason i chose this one is because it has firewire built in as well as 8 dimm slots
Supports PCIe 3.0 and has 5PCIe slots and 1 PCI slot, however they're quite closely packed together, i have all my available PCIe slots in use (my video card takes up 3 slots hindering 2 connection slots

IMPORTANT; for some reason this mobo is insanely overpriced over at amazon.COM, i don't know why, but since i live in europe, i bought mine over at Amazon.it
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-90-MIBGW0-G0EAY00Z-SABERTOOTH-X79-Mainboard/dp/B00667B8O8/
Amazon.it (where i bought it)
http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00667B8O8/

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011
Not much to discuss here, wanted a beefy CPU that didn't go crazy on budget, if you have money to burn, you can go for the x version
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00603QXPM/

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
GREAT air cooling, definitely recommend if you don't want water cooling, runs at low RPM but is very efficient while doing so, CPU stays nicely under 40 °C
The heatsink is MASSIVE though, so if you're going with a different case make sure it can fit in there (for ref of the space i have left; MISSING PICTURE
A note though, this cooler is so efficient and runs at such low RPM that the BIOS will report a CPU fan error (it only pops up on boot and is no concern), but you can fix it by setting the minimal fan speed for the CPU in the bios to 300
Noise is non-existent with this cooler! ;)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00631QFG8/

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - Low Profile
IMPORTANT!!! When using the Noctua NH-D14 you MUST go with low profile ram as the cooler is so massive
Don't really have any complaints about this memory, the only minor issue i'm having is that it doesn't want to run @ 1600MHz, but i'm not the best messing around with voltages and such
(changing the MHz to 1600 in the bios kept causing BSOD's and other crazy stuff), so my memory is running at 1333MHz
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058J1QII/

ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Edition 2048MB
Reason i chose this version, is because of the massive cooling, i like my system to run cool and quiet, this card does exactly that, never really goes over 60°C and remains quiet.
Love the fact that it has 2 DVI ports as i am using 2x 30" Apple Aluminum Cinema Displays (they're great displays, non-freaking glossy and worth their money, however, they have been discontinued :( .)
Also chose it for the display port for possible expansion later on for one of the newer displays (though the 30 inches have been serving me well)
The card itself works natively in mountain lion haven't tested other versions of OS X

Something important to note though, is that this card is MASSIVE, and takes up 3 slots, so keep that in mind
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Overclocked-Utilities-PCI-Express-GTX680-DC2O-2GD5/dp/B007ZT2E1C/

2x Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive
Took two of these because i'm using a dual boot system and wanted to keep Windows and Mac separate, i've seen what windows can do to your mac partition on my MacBook Pro Penryn
Something important maybe; 128GB is quite small, my windows SSD is completely full with only 2GB's left, so you might want to consider a bigger one from the get go (and yes, i'm only installing OS stuff and applications on the SSD)
Mac currently still has tons 106GB of space, that's after copying over my applications, so i think i'll be good there, don't have giant apps like 3DS Max and visual studio on it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/

2x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s
Very content with Seagate drives in general, so decided to take those
Went with 7200rpm versions, because speed.
I do recommend taking multiple smaller drives rather than 1 large drive, just for when one decides to say, "Peace, i'm out", better safe than sorry

Using 1 under windows as "Resource drive" where all user related stuff is located
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRNW/

2x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s
Same story as above, good drives.
Using these 2TB drives as "Data" drives, 1 for windows, 1 for mac
They store raw footage, media, data, and digital software
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRNW/

Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold
TAKE A MODULAR PSU, you'll be grateful.
I do feel like i should've went with a higher wattage one, just to keep heat down (the higher you're running to the PSU's max the hotter it gets)
Didn't want to spend the money for a higher wattage one at the time, but would now, though my system runs fine with the 750 one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PJ6QWE/

Pioneer DVR-219LBK 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer
Works fine under Mountain Lion, didn't go for blurry and what not, because i barely use any discs, but for when i do, i have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DVR-219LBK-Internal-Writer-LabelFlash/dp/B004HJNE7Q/

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 WLAN-N Dualband-Adapter
Wireless card, works natively under Mountain Lion (lucky coincidence)
Desktop is hooked up to ethernet most of the time but it's always nice to have.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-Express-Adapter/dp/B007GMPZ0A/

PCIe to Expresscard 34 adapter (needed for my Matrox MXO2 Mini)
Don't have this thing up and running yet, but that is most likely because i forgot to hook up a cable, because i overlooked said cable in the box (which i don't have with me right now)
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/974756/PCI-Express-adapter-for-Expresscard

A PCIe Firewire card with 2xFW800 and 1x FW400
Got this one from an old G5, using it to hook up my LaCie External drive as well as plugging in the Firewire 400 cable from my second Apple Aluminum Cinema Display (mobo only has 1 FW400 port)
No links for this one, nor specific information, as i have no clue where it's from

Apple Mac OS X version 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - Apple Store

Already Owned

Integral 8GB USB Drive
Got it in a local store, nothing special

2x 30" Apple Aluminum Cinema Display
*discontinued* :'(

Apple Wired Keyboard with numpad
Google for best price

Apple Mighty Mouse
Not recommended, scroll ball likes to get stuck :)

Apple Wireless Keyboard
Google for best price

Apple Wireless Trackpad
Google for best price

Sitecom USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter
No clue where i got this one from.

Installation and preparations

Note
I have explained my experience quite thorough including most of the many problems and errors i encountered, therefor this whole section is quite lengthy. I have included these parts for troubleshooting purposes in case you would have a similar issue that you can instantly recognize it and don't have to spend hours on end to try and fix it with tons of possible solutions.

Issues covered in this build;
- Freeze during white boot screen
- Freeze @ Apple Splash screen
- Mouse lag during installation of Mountain Lion
- Installation halting 3 minutes before finishing
- No audio after installation

Why the build

Reason i built this computer was because the Mac Pro wasn't being updated and i needed a good machine for college (Digital Arts & Entertainment), seeing as the Mac pro wouldn't update until late 2013 at the time, i couldn't wait for it as the college year would already be over.
Having had lots of trouble trying to get a hackintosh up and running the first time, i decided to postpone it until after the first college year, running windows in the mean time.
That year was over and i started messing around with it again, took me quite some time to get everything to work, but i'm very happy that it turned out to be a great success.

Getting the Unibeast USB drive going

The first time i installed Mountain Lion to the USB all went well, *skip several processes here (described later)* when finally getting in the installation screen, it kept hanging at 3 minutes remaining and didn't continue onward.
I thought it was the USB stick, so decided to redo the unibeast process a second time.
Followed the steps in the unibeast guide to the letter.
For some reason, unibeast had installed (whatever it installs) onto my main drive, noticed that when all of a sudden i ran out of disk space on my MacBook Pro Penryn (yes, that one is running out of disk space as well)
Anyway, checked the stick and indeed, the stick was empty, so redid Unibeast and then it installed correctly, so don't know what went wrong there.

Also copied MultiBeast for mountain lion to the USB stick

AND I still haven't found where the hell that disk space went, so lost something like 6GB.. (any help is appreciated for that issue)

Getting to the Mountain Lion Installer

(use F8 to select the boot device)

It was a pain! i'll tell you that. hope it is not for you.

But i had to mess around with the boot parameters for a good couple of days to finally get it working.
At first it simply froze at the splash screen so eventually found the configuration that would get me to the installer.
being;
"npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0"
do not use the above boot parameters, continue reading

HOWEVER!!!
Once at the installer screen, my mouse was really sluggish, it didn't want to move at first, then it moved 5 pixels and would stop again, then it would move for a little while normally, and then freeze up again.
That problem annoyed the hell out of me, but i decided to go through with it, since the keyboard was responding just fine, i used that for most of the navigating.
(it wasn't a USB problem, see further)
So eventually i got to the installation process, and it woul run for some time and then the image froze, the bar no longer moved... but when pressing any key on the keyboard, the image refreshed and ti was still continuing.
Until a certain point, the About 3 minutes remaining mark, this is where the installer froze completely, still able to move the mouse, but it never finished (let it run for 2 hours).

SO THE FIX;
Boot using the following parameters
"npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 cpus=1 -v"

What that did for me;
It made the mouse behave normally and allowed me to complete the installation

Booting from the drive using the USB-Stick

After Mountain Lion has finished installing to your hard drive, it'll ask to reboot.

Do it and when it reboots tap F8 repeatedly to get the boot device screen, select the USB stick again and highlight the Mountain Lion Partition.
Now enter the following boot parameters;
(note that these are the same, in fact you should only need GraphicsEnabler and cpus=1, i decided to use all of them again, just for good measure)

Normally you should boot just fine into Mountain Lion. (you're not done yet, read onwards)

Post installation setup (getting everything to work)

If you copied MultiBeast for Mountain Lion Onto the USB, run it and select the following settings;
(using MultiBeast v 5.3.1)

MultiBeast Configuration for Mountain Lion 10.8.4
MISSING PICTURE
EasyBeast Installation
Disk:
3d Party SATA
3d Party eSATA
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

Miscellaneous:
FakeSMC v5.1.61 Plugins -> Plugins
USB 3.0 - Universal

Network:
Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.1.7

Customization:
Boot Options:
->GraphicsEnabler=No
->PCI Configuration Fix

(you're still not done, carry on)

Fixing cpus=1

After the MultiBeast installation is complete, reboot your computer
Tap F8 to access the boot menu, and select the USB stick again

Highlight the Mac OS X Drive and enter "cpus=1" as a boot parameter
To fix Mountain Lion running on only 1 core, we need to install a kext separately using KextBeast

KextBeast can be download on this site.

The kext you need is; VoodooTSCSync.kext

which can be found here; http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=59573
(bottom of first post)

Unzip the file and place it on the desktop.
Place KextBeast on the desktop and run it.

When it's finished, go to spotlight and enter disk utility, open the application and select the Mac OS X Partition, select "Repair disk permissions"

Quit disk utility and reboot.

Tap F8 repeatedly and select your Mac OS X Drive.

You should now boot just fine without the need to enter any boot parameters.

(but you're still not done, just a bit more)

Getting the audio to work

For me this wasn't to big of a deal, since I'm using a Blue Yeti USB Microphone with Audio throughput audio worked fine for me using the mic's 3.5mm jacket.

However, the 3.5mm jacket on the desktop itself weren't working (not the front panel, nor the back)

To fix that, we need the MultiBeast for Lion instead of MultiBeast for Mountain Lion

I have tried using the Mountain Lion version, but with no success.
IMPORTANT; I used MultiBeast v4.6.1 for the audio, i have not tried it with v4.7.X

When in Mountain Lion, launch up MultiBeast v4.6.1 and apply the following settings;

Audio Fix for Mountain Lion 10.8.4
MISSING PICTURE

Audio:
Realtek ALC8xxx
->Unified Device Injector
->->ALC8xxxHDA

->AppleHDA Rollback

->Non-DSDT HDAEnabler:
->->ALC892

Now you can select the correct audio output in System Preferences->Sound

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP!!!

Make a backup of the working OS so you can simply restore it if something goes wrong in the future!

You will need an external drive (preferably USB) to copy the backup to (it does not have to be as big as your Mac OS drive)

To do so, boot from the USB stick
Highlight the USB as boot device and enter the boot parameters;

When at the installer, go to utilities->Disk Utility

Highlight your Mac OS X Drive (the disk, not the partition)
and go to File->New->New disk image from disk...

It'll prompt for a name and location to save to
For the name i chose;
Mac OS X ML - CLEAN

As destination, select the external hard drive and leave the other settings alone and select save.
This could take a while, so grab a cup of coffee and relax.

when it's done simply quit disk utility and restart your computer.

GOLDEN TIP; I also made a second backup after having installed all my applications and important data.
For the name i chose
Mac OS X ML - APPS INSTALLED

Thanks

I would like to thank everyone on here for their help and sharing their knowledge

In particular;
Tom Sawyer for finding the audio fix
Evilmonkey477 for a guide on how to reach the installer for his setup

And anyone else where credit is due.

Performance Notes

USB 3.0 works fine, front panel and back panel

Firewire on the mobo as well as on the PCIe card work fine

The wireless card works natively under Mountain Lion

For Audio out of the back of the computer, use the green 3.5mm jacket and select the correct output in system preferences

Multiple monitor setup works fine (using both DVI ports on my graphics card, can test the HDMI as well if requested)

Computer will not automatically go to sleep based on power saving settings in system preferences

Computer will go to sleep when done manually and will also wake back up correctly

Displays go to sleep correctly including when going to sleep automatically based on power saving settings in system preferences

Not a single kernel panic was had so far

If you want to dual boot without having to always tap F8 to select the correct drive, use the Chimera Bootloader (just note that you have to select "system reserved" in order to boot windows and NOT the actual windows partition)

Triple monitor setup works fine, the configuration i tested is 2x DVI and 1x HDMI
oi43.tinypic.com/63zrlw.jpg
(bottom is cut off because the HDMI monitor only supports 1080p as max)

Additional Troubleshooting Information

- When wanting to copy files to finder, i get an error code -36 (some data can't be read or written)
Fix; Use a USB 2.0 port
Courtesy of; Napkin12

LOG

Possible Future updates;
Windows comparison benchmark results

v1.0 Jul 17th 5:49AM
*Created thread

v1.1 Jul 17th 2PM
*Updated with benchmark results
*Tested and reported firewire as working (see performance notes)
*Added Build pics
*Tested triple monitor setup (see performance notes)

v1.2 Jul 19th 12:51AM
*Added a note explaining the lengthiness of this post
*Changed all instances of Apple Alu Cinema Display, to Apple Aluminum Cinema Display (noticed that a mod changed 1 of them)

v1.3 Aug 7th 07:12AM
*Added list of issues being discussed in the guide

Good Luck and Kind regards,

Cipher

Build pics

Massive heatsink
MISSING PICTURE

Low profile memory is essential with this cooler
MISSING PICTURE

Make sure your case is big enough to fit the cooler (i only have aprox 1 cm left)
MISSING PICTURE

The side panel, a bit to thin in my opinion, but it worked out fine
MISSING PICTURE

The Comp :)
MISSING PICTURE

Stuffed mobo
MISSING PICTURE

All accesible PCIe slots are in use, had to move the Graphics card to a different 16x slot because it was covering up 2x PCIe slots, now it's covering up 1x PCIe and 1x PCI (have no need for PCI)
MISSING PICTURE

Benchmark results
Not sure why the geekbench is on the low side, but i'm guessing it's because i didn't OC​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.30.27.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.30.27.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 978
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.33.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.33.15.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 729
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.50.13.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.50.13.png
    71 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.53.56.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.53.56.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 806
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.57.12.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 13.57.12.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 744
Last edited by a moderator:
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
The 6gb's aren't lost on my USB but on my MBP's hard drive, i've searched my whole drive for another mountain lion installation, but could only find the App store downloaded one, it's a mystery :p

And thanks, still running stable and i'll update with some benchmarks results in a bit ;)

EDIT: Updated with pics, benchmarks and some more performance notes

Cipher

Motherboard
ML 10.8.3
CPU
Graphics
GTX770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello!

I'm so surprised this build has gotten so little recognition and is not in the Golden builds section! You literally wrote out every single problem I was having. I had the three minutes bug but realized that my Mac App store download of OSX wasn't complete and that there were internet issues so I figured it out on my own and redownloaded it.

However, I couldn't get the darn mouse to un-laggify (if that makes sense). I searched and searched and eventually realized that the GTX 770 that I am using is the same chip in the GTX 680. So I started searching and found your thread! Awesome! You guided me through everything (including the fix for the laggy mouse), and I cannot thank you enough. THANK YOU! :) :)

My build is a 3930k, Asus x79, Noctua NH-D14, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770, Seasonic 750W, 2xSamsung 840 Pros, and a Fractal Design Define R4 case. I couldn't have hacked the computer without you. Again, you have my sincere gratitude.

Keep hacking! :)
JChen

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
Your welcome :), glad it helped you out
I scratched my head for several hours on that freaking mouse lag :p

Gratz on the build, and damn i'd love me a gtx 770 :D
cash isn't flowing though ^^

As a slight update, sleep seems to work fine after installing some mountain lion update and re-running multibeast now

Cipher

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Just wanted to post my thanks on this guide! It's perfect except for one detail (and since I'm a noob I'll consider it my fault and lack of OSX knowledge) so I'll post my troubles here for anyone else who's having the same issue.

After the installation, whenever I would try to copy Multibeast or pretty much any other zip file with an application in it to desktop, I was never able to copy it. I would get an error every single time stating "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "Multibeast" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)" and I wouldn't be able to go on to the next step. I also tried unzipping the files on my laptop and just having the Multibeast app file on my drive but after running it and selecting all the options for Multibeast to install, it would fail after asking for my password (it would also still fail copying the app to desktop so I was running it straight from my usb drive).

Solution: Copy the files via a USB 2.0 port as I was trying to do it via my front USB 3.0 ones. I installed Mountain Lion via the USB 3.0 port and also via the USB 2.0 port over and over and continually scratched my head over what the problem could be. Thought I had a bad ML download so redownloaded and recreated my USB disk but problem kept persisting. Then I had a duh moment and tried it in a USB 2.0 and worked like a charm after that. Had been installing it right all along (both USB types work for OSX installation) just wrong port :D

---

As a side note, after updating my USB 3.0 drivers with Multibeast, I still have the same issue if trying to copy the aforementioned zip files via my USB 3.0 ports but it really doesn't bother me that much now that I can boot without constantly typing in flags. Though it would be nice to somehow fix it at some point if anyone has any ideas.

Also, when I go into "About this Mac" the only issue there is that the processor shows as "3.2 GHz Unknown" and would be nice if it showed as the right processor. Otherwise I'm very happy with how this turned out! My second Hackintosh try and first success story! Last time I tried was a couple years back on a Gateway Laptop and got too frustrated.

---

My desktop specs are as follows:
Core i7 3930k
Asus Sabertooth x79
64 GB RAM @ 1866 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4096 MB
OSX 10.8.4

Basically the equivalent of a $4500+ Mac Pro for about $2500! And you can't even get them with 64 GB RAM :) Not sure the overkill in RAM really helps me much in OSX though to be honest. As an FYI for those interested, I bought all that RAM to try out a 2xSSD RAID 0 Windows RAM Drive boot (ultimate GEEKERY). Off topic I know but the 12GB Windows 8 partition I made took about 25 seconds to load into RAM and then I had benchmarks of about 9200MB/s read speed and 6800MB/s write speed (yes the numbers are correct). Useless without an HDD to save things to as the RAM drive is gone on reboot but fun to tinker with and gawk at :)

Best Regards

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
Digging those specs!

Glad this guide helped you out, as for the USB 3.0 problem, it's a problem i didn't encounter during my installation/ post installation/ final product, so i didn't know of it.
The USB 3.0 ports work fine for me, haven't really check the speeds on it, but i don't really both either since i have no USB 3.0 devices.

I'll add and credit you for the troubleshooting information in the OP ;-)
(don't know how to fix the issue though, maybe it's a permissions thingy, tried repairing those using disk utility?)

Regarding the processor information make-up, it's as simple as changing a .plist explained here; http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/83710-about-mac-shows-unknown-processor.html

Enjoy your hackintosh! :)

Cipher

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I'll add and credit you for the troubleshooting information in the OP ;-)
(don't know how to fix the issue though, maybe it's a permissions thingy, tried repairing those using disk utility?)

Regarding the processor information make-up, it's as simple as changing a .plist explained here; http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/83710-about-mac-shows-unknown-processor.html
Heh, glad I could add something useful.. No need to give me credit unless you want to! I'm new at all this :D

The link for the .plist file worked great! I'm guessing different numbers probably go with different chips? It shows up that I have a 3.2 GHz 6-Core Xeon now after following those directions. Not sure if that's another name for 3930k (I think it's the equivalent server chip) but I'm happy it doesn't say unknown!

For the permissions repair, it completes successfully with no repairs needed so it must be a different issue. Maybe if I feel like doing another reinstall at some point I'll stick to everything going through the USB 2.0 ports until USB 3.0 drivers get installed and see if the error is still there using that process. Otherwise all is just dandy right now for my uses :) Cheers!

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
sorry for the late reply, but yeah, that is correct for the processor thingy, although i do not know which is the correct flag for the 3930k, i haven't looked into it, so i don't even know if it's possible to get non-apple supported processors to show up correctly, google should give you that answer ;)

don't know about the usb though, i'm guessing you already tried re-running multibeast huh?

Cipher

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-3930K @3.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
Have you reinstalled the voodoo kext?

I haven't installed 10.8.5 yet, as i'm putting it of since i can't affor to lose my workstation right now

Cipher