Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Opus i9 Build: Gigabyte Gaming X Z390 - i9-9900K - Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultimate

Maybe I will just use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. That way I get hardware acceleration through the Vega 56 and only lose out on Sidecar, which I probably won't use anyway.

You'll know when you've cleared the CMOS correctly if it takes extra long to POST. On mine, the computer powers up and down 3 times, then on the 4th power up, it POSTs. Then it puts me into the BIOS with the message that the BIOS has been reset.

I wouldn't muck around with the EFI, or rather, whenever I did play around with it, I ended up with it not booting properly. I think the Device Properties are necessary to inject. You could post in pastrychef's thread and ask. He is very responsive. If you describe that, by deleting the properties, the computer hangs, he will probably give a detailed explanation.

I would just go with that if it works. I am also interested what options he figured out because I was banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out the prohibited sign. But since adopting PC's EFI as a foundation, my system has been rock solid. One of these days, I want to systematically go through each of his changes so I can understand the process a bit better, but until then, as long as it's working, I'm not futzing around with it too much.

I've never tried the iMacPro definition. I pretty much want Sidecar from the iMac definition and don't really have a use for the DRM compatibility of the iMacPro, so I guess it's whichever you will use the most. People say the iMacPro is supposed to be more stable and slightly faster.

Well some good news Tedyun. I retried your EFI you made based on pastrychef's EFI.

I reset the CMOS this time by shorting the jumper - and reset the NVRAM after and it did work! Maybe I wasn't resetting the CMOS correctly?

I ran VDADecoderChecker and it came back showing Hardware Acceleration was enabled. I then rebooted and restarted the computer 7-10 times and no prohibition sign! Only issue was the longer boot times, but that might be down to the EFI folder being a bit bloated.

Anyway I had a look through the config.plist and compared to mine there are lots of additional drivers, kexts etc. My EFI folder is very vanilla - literally the latest required drivers and kexts and SSDT's straight from the official source.

So I cleaned up both the folder and the config.plist, popped in my SSDT's which are just the standard vanilla ones from the official OpenCore guide, popped in my USBPorts.kext as well as my kexts and drivers.

Restarted the computer - sadly prohibition sign!

Cleared the CMOS and NVRAM again - but no luck this time - prohibition sign again.

I have ensured the Framebuffer patch remained in DeviceProperties exactly as you had put it in. All I removed was the additional devices listed as I have never added them before. Maybe this is causing the issue?

Or perhaps its the boot-args? I did replace the boot-args with mine. Did go back and re add igfxonln=1 but still no luck.

I wonder what it is?

Last edited:
@BillyBoy7 : Well, I went through pastrychef's most recent OC 0.6.0 EFI and I deleted, one by one, each of the Device Properties and.....nothing happened! It booted fine! I'm really perplexed. Anyway, I went ahead and made a minimal version here for you. I just deleted:

Root > PlatformInfo > DataHub
Root > PlatformInfo > PlatformNVRAM
Root > PlatformInfo > SMBIOS

So add these values back from your rig.

I also changed the Sysdef to iMac19,1, added the USBPorts.kext (you should substitute for your own map) and added the framebuffer patch into the DeviceProperties.

You can play around with this to see if you can strip out anything else and see what breaks it. I'd be interested to find out!

Well some good news Tedyun. I retried your EFI you made based on pastrychef's EFI.

I reset the CMOS this time by shorting the jumper - and reset the NVRAM after and it did work! Maybe I wasn't resetting the CMOS correctly?

I ran VDADecoderChecker and it came back showing Hardware Acceleration was enabled. I then rebooted and restarted the computer 7-10 times and no prohibition sign! Only issue was the longer boot times, but that might be down to the EFI folder being a bit bloated.

Anyway I had a look through the config.plist and compared to mine there are lots of additional drivers, kexts etc. My EFI folder is very vanilla - literally the latest required drivers and kexts and SSDT's straight from the official source.

So I cleaned up both the folder and the config.plist, popped in my SSDT's which are just the standard vanilla ones from the official OpenCore guide, popped in my USBPorts.kext as well as my kexts and drivers.

Restarted the computer - sadly prohibition sign!

Cleared the CMOS and NVRAM again - but no luck this time - prohibition sign again.

I have ensured the Framebuffer patch remained in DeviceProperties exactly as you had put it in. All I removed was the additional devices listed as I have never added them before. Maybe this is causing the issue?

Or perhaps its the boot-args? I did replace the boot-args with mine. Did go back and re add igfxonln=1 but still no luck.

I wonder what it is?

Attachments

• Modified minimal PC EFI.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 137
@BillyBoy7 : Well, I went through pastrychef's most recent OC 0.6.0 EFI and I deleted, one by one, each of the Device Properties and.....nothing happened! It booted fine! I'm really perplexed. Anyway, I went ahead and made a minimal version here for you. I just deleted:

Root > PlatformInfo > DataHub
Root > PlatformInfo > PlatformNVRAM
Root > PlatformInfo > SMBIOS

So add these values back from your rig.

I also changed the Sysdef to iMac19,1, added the USBPorts.kext (you should substitute for your own map) and added the framebuffer patch into the DeviceProperties.

You can play around with this to see if you can strip out anything else and see what breaks it. I'd be interested to find out!
Hello @tedyun,
I'm really learning a lot from you, but I'm still quite new to the hackintosh world.
I own a system with the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, 9700K processor, RX 570 graphic card.
I went through the original guide "UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC" and many other guides, and I managed to get a running Catalina.

Problem is, I get the "stop" sign every now, and then, with the red error "Already started returned from AptioMemoryFix.efi".
I was wondering if you can help:
- did you find out what is causing that error?
- which BIOS version are you running ATM?
- in MultiBeast, on a fresh install, would you go for the emulated VRAM or not?
- do you prefer Clover or OC?
- which EFI folder that you posted would you use with my configuration?
- can you maybe share a recent EFI? Maybe during last year you reached perfection. :)

Thank you so much for your help.

Hello @tedyun,
I'm really learning a lot from you, but I'm still quite new to the hackintosh world.
I own a system with the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, 9700K processor, RX 570 graphic card.
I went through the original guide "UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC" and many other guides, and I managed to get a running Catalina.

Problem is, I get the "stop" sign every now, and then, with the red error "Already started returned from AptioMemoryFix.efi".
I was wondering if you can help:
- did you find out what is causing that error?
- which BIOS version are you running ATM?
- in MultiBeast, on a fresh install, would you go for the emulated VRAM or not?
- do you prefer Clover or OC?
- which EFI folder that you posted would you use with my configuration?
- can you maybe share a recent EFI? Maybe during last year you reached perfection. :)

Thank you so much for your help.
Hi @thepawn

I'm using BIOS beta F10g. The main benefit of that version and higher is that there is an option in the BIOS menu to easily unlock the MSR 0xE2 register. If you want to use an older BIOS, you need to unlock it manually. It's not hard, but the menu config definitely saves time. You need to unlock the register in order to get a stable system.

I've updated to Big Sur, so I moved to OpenCore a long time ago, but I haven't updated my build description. It was going well until the OpenCore 0.6.9 update and now it has a problem waking from sleep. Everything is fine in 0.6.8. The Clover interface is nicer, but it will be obsolete in time.

For Catalina, the Clover 5120 should be the last one I used before moving to OpenCore and Big Sur, so it should work.

With the AptioMemoryFix error, it sounds like you had AptioMemoryfix then replaced it with another driver? I think the newest versions are the OcQuirks.efi + OpenRuntime.efi. So if it was updated, I think you have to clear the CMOS. Remember that clearing the CMOS wipes the BIOS settings, so before you clear it, make sure to save your settings so that you can easily reload them.

I don't think I chose emulated VRAM.

I'll try to update my post, and put the EFI up there. I've been fiddling with it so I need to clean it up before posting.

Let me know how it goes. If you want you can upload your EFI and I can take a look.

Thanks

Ted

Hi tedyun
For more than a week I have encountered a serious problem on my hackintosh which happens to be almost identical to your build 3
z390 gaming x - i9 9900k - RX580 - 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz.
Liquid Cooling System AORUS 360
So, my hack started to restart for no reason without any action on my part not having created a backup I decided to do a clean installation
the installation goes well until 12 minutes before the end the hack restarts
Then after restarting it tells me 29min remaining, 23min from the end the hack restarts again so impossible to install any macOS system
can you take a look at my EFI file and tell me what you think about it and possibly a solution to a problem
(for info I tried with your EFI file I had the same problem)

thanks for your help

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 70
Hi tedyun
For more than a week I have encountered a serious problem on my hackintosh which happens to be almost identical to your build 3
So, my hack started to restart for no reason without any action on my part not having created a backup I decided to do a clean installation
Then after restarting it tells me 29min remaining, 23min from the end the hack restarts again so impossible to install any macOS system
can you take a look at my EFI file and tell me what you think about it and possibly a solution to a problem

thanks for your help

Hi @rudaye

Sorry -- I missed this! Make sure to tag me with the "@" sign and it will show up in my alerts.

Just looking at your EFI, it looks like you have a lot of redundant SSDT's enabled. And the same thing with the kexts.

Also, what are your BIOS settings? Were you able to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register (CFG Lock)?

And just a PSA here, remember to wipe your Serial Number and UUID off your EFI.

Let me know how it goes!

Ted

Hi tedyun

thanks for your help
@rudaye

Just a few other thoughts that came to my mind, but maybe they are obvious -- If you're overclocking your system, then restore it to stock. Also with the RAM, if you have the XPS profile enabled, maybe put it back down to stock. I found with the later BIOS (I'm still on F10g beta) I wasn't able to enable the 3600 speed. I haven't tried F10i yet.

@tedyun

There are two ways you can unlock the MSR. The first is to use the beta F10g BIOS for the Z390 Gaming X.

Where can may download F10g beta?
and is F10i have ability for unlock MSR? or if check it with upgrade to F10i, is there to downgrade to default firmware in case of it didnt exist?

@tedyun

Where can may download F10g beta?
and is F10i have ability for unlock MSR? or if check it with upgrade to F10i, is there to downgrade to default firmware in case of it didnt exist?

Hi @Dr.Hofmann

I attached a file called "Upgrades - 2020-07-28" in my first post. It is a zipped file, and one of the components is the BIOS.

Subsequent versions of the BIOS has the CFG Unlock option. You can downgrade the BIOS by reflashing to the previous BIOS.

I have tried a later version of the BIOS -- I believe it was F10h -- but it had a problem with running my RAM at XMP speeds. I haven't figured out the problem, and just reflashed it back down to F10g beta. Updating to F10i is one of the things on my to-do list. I just updated my dual boot and Parallels to Windows 11, and that was a longer ordeal than I anticipated! But when I get around to F10i update, I'll post here with my experience.

Let me know if it works out for you!

Ted

Back