Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Opus i9 Build: Gigabyte Gaming X Z390 - i9-9900K - Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultimate

(Continuation of this thread)

@Sipala93: I posted my EFI. Make sure to populate the values from your SMBIOS before using the config.plist.

Hi tedyun, I used your config.plist and I edited it for my GPU and for my serial number (in order to get iMessage and FaceTime working again) and now I have the UHD 630 perfectly working, thank you! :)

I have only 1 little problem. The boot is quite slower than before (about 67 second vs not much than 15-20 seconds before, on and M.2 PCIe SSD), it seems to be blocked at around little more than half the loading bar and then it loads perfectly. Do you have the same problem?

Thank you very much again, you're my savior :)

Hi tedyun, I used your config.plist and I edited it for my GPU and for my serial number (in order to get iMessage and FaceTime working again) and now I have the UHD 630 perfectly working, thank you! :)

I have only 1 little problem. The boot is quite slower than before (about 67 second vs not much than 15-20 seconds before, on and M.2 PCIe SSD), it seems to be blocked at around little more than half the loading bar and then it loads perfectly. Do you have the same problem?

Thank you very much again, you're my savior :)

That's great news!! I'm glad that it is working. It sounds like you're almost at the finish line.

About the USB ports, I tested mine and they seem to work fine. I have USB 2.0 4-port hubs attached to the two ports directly on the mobo, and I have 2 extra "free" USB 2.0 ports on the case. I didn't unplug my hubs, and I tested the devices by plugging into the hubs. I have a USB 3.0 hub on one of my USB 3.0 ports, and again, I didn't unplug this. I just plugged my device into the hub. If you want me to test the ports without the hubs in between, just let me know, but I may do that later. I don't think it will make a difference.

My USB 2.0 device is my iPhone through the iPhone cable. It was recognized and mounted on all ports (USB 2.0, 3.0 and the Gen2 port).

My USB 3.0 device is a flash drive. It was also recognized and mounted on all ports.

What do you see in Hackintool under the USB tab? This is what I see:

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 9.15.20 AM.png

If I remember correctly, you have the SSDT-USBX in your EFI? Was this generated by you or did you copy it from another source? There are instructions on how to make the patch specific for your own mobo. In one of my earlier attempts I tried making one for my board (this was when I was trying to get Sidecar to work with my iGPU disabled, but ended up realizing Sidecar needs the iGPU enabled). I ended up not using it because the kexts that I installed (USBInjectAll and the limit removal) seem to work fine.

With the boot time, I also have a slower boot time. I believe it has something to do with WhateverGreen and the framebuffer patch. I always thought it was the price to pay as WEG works its magic. There are instructions somewhere to optimize the loading time for WEG, but they seem complicated, and I didn't want to mess with it.

As for the MSR unlock -- it just bugs me!!! :D @pastrychef , @CaseySJ and others on the other forum go through hurdles to unlock it, and recommend to do so for these Gigabyte mobos. They say that it is necessary to have the kexts functioning properly.

But as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
That's great news!! I'm glad that it is working. It sounds like you're almost at the finish line.

About the USB ports, I tested mine and they seem to work fine. I have USB 2.0 4-port hubs attached to the two ports directly on the mobo, and I have 2 extra "free" USB 2.0 ports on the case. I didn't unplug my hubs, and I tested the devices by plugging into the hubs. I have a USB 3.0 hub on one of my USB 3.0 ports, and again, I didn't unplug this. I just plugged my device into the hub. If you want me to test the ports without the hubs in between, just let me know, but I may do that later. I don't think it will make a difference.

My USB 2.0 device is my iPhone through the iPhone cable. It was recognized and mounted on all ports (USB 2.0, 3.0 and the Gen2 port).

My USB 3.0 device is a flash drive. It was also recognized and mounted on all ports.

What do you see in Hackintool under the USB tab? This is what I see:

View attachment 470126

If I remember correctly, you have the SSDT-USBX in your EFI? Was this generated by you or did you copy it from another source? There are instructions on how to make the patch specific for your own mobo. I ended up not using it because the kexts that I installed (USBInjectAll and the limit removal) seem to work fine.

With the boot time, I also have a slower boot time. I believe it has something to do with WhateverGreen and the framebuffer patch. I always thought it was the price to pay as WEG works its magic. There are instructions somewhere to optimize the loading time for WEG, but they seem complicated, and I didn't want to mess with it.

As for the MSR unlock -- it just bugs me!!! :D @pastrychef , @CaseySJ and others on the other forum go through hurdles to unlock it, and recommend to do so for these Gigabyte mobos. They say that it is necessary to have the kexts functioning properly.

But as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now all of my ports arre correctly working, I forgotten to delete some old files into the ACPI/patched folder and I used yours ;) Now it's all perfect except for the boot time... In theese days I will search for a solution and I will help you if I will find something ;)

Of course if I will have some problems in the future I will consider about unlocking MSR, but only if necessary. The last time I had to reset the bios and because of my room and desk disposition is quite uncomfortable doing that every time :D

Thank you very much for all, now it's practically perfect :D

That's great news! I don't worry too much about the boot time. Now that my system is stable, I rarely reboot it. It goes to sleep and wakes up fine, so I never need to power down unless I need to. If you figure out the optimal WEG settings, I would be really curious.

You should generate your own SSDT-EC because it is made off of my DSDT and my hardware is a bit different. It isn't hard to do.

Yeah ... after that MSR lock was the last outstanding issue, it really bugged me, but as the days go on and the system seems stable, my motivation to figure that out is kind of waning. I'm actually starting to do real work on my Hack instead of tweaking it :lol:

Now all of my ports arre correctly working, I forgotten to delete some old files into the ACPI/patched folder and I used yours ;) Now it's all perfect except for the boot time... In theese days I will search for a solution and I will help you if I will find something ;)

Of course if I will have some problems in the future I will consider about unlocking MSR, but only if necessary. The last time I had to reset the bios and because of my room and desk disposition is quite uncomfortable doing that every time :D

Thank you very much for all, now it's practically perfect :D

That's great news! I don't worry too much about the boot time. Now that my system is stable, I rarely reboot it. It goes to sleep and wakes up fine, so I never need to power down unless I need to. If you figure out the optimal WEG settings, I would be really curious.

You should generate your own SSDT-EC because it is made off of my DSDT and my hardware is a bit different. It isn't hard to do.

Yeah ... after that MSR lock was the last outstanding issue, it really bugged me, but as the days go on and the system seems stable, my motivation to figure that out is kind of waning. I'm actually starting to do real work on my Hack instead of tweaking it :lol:

I will let you know ;) anyway I don't know if the boot time is related to the framebuffer. Before using your files I had the framebuffer correctly showed into Clover->Devices->Properties, but the boot time was very shorter. I think that my iGPU and also USB didn't work due to some config.plist settings, your one is much "lighter" than my one and probably there were some conflicts. I'm not sure about this.

Could you suggest me a tutorial for the SSDT-EC? :)

Yeah, in fact. If all is going pretty well, why "loosing" time for something not completely sure? :D

Have a nice day!

What you want to do is to generate a DSDT.aml and patch it using a script. To generate a DSDT, reboot your computer and at the Clover bootloader, push your arrow keys to stop it from automatically booting into your system. Then press F4 to make your DSDT. Then boot your computer as normal. Your DSDT will be in your EFI > Clover >ACPI > origin folder.

To find the instructions on how to patch your DSDT, Google "SSDT-EC" One of the links should start with "EC Patching - Dealing with AppleACPIEC on a Catalina...." In fact you could Google that phrase and it will pop up.

Follow his Method #2 to Fake the EC. It basically entails downloading the SSDT-time script and running it. It will take your DSDT and patch it, giving you your own SSDT-EC.

I will let you know ;) anyway I don't know if the boot time is related to the framebuffer. Before using your files I had the framebuffer correctly showed into Clover->Devices->Properties, but the boot time was very shorter. I think that my iGPU and also USB didn't work due to some config.plist settings, your one is much "lighter" than my one and probably there were some conflicts. I'm not sure about this.

Yeah, in fact. If all is going pretty well, why "loosing" time for something not completely sure? :D

Have a nice day!

About the boot time issue, the only thing I remember is that during the process of trying to nail down the prohibited sign boot error (which ultimately was the iGPU), I tried each kext one by one. I noticed that after I added WEG, the boot time increased a lot. The other thing is that after adding WEG, it seems to slow down to an incremental crawl, then the screen blacks out momentarily, then comes back on to finish. I assume the slow down is happening when WEG is injecting its graphics magic.

If I were motivated to track it down, I would boot in verbose mode to see what is going on at the point where everything is slowing down. I am pretty sure if you read jaymonkey's guide to WEG, he has something about optimizing it. But then again, like we were saying, if it ain't broke......

Once I had everything working, like sidecar, sleep, etc., I am happy that everything was stable. I didn't want to further tweak it because at that point I had spent over a week trying to get it off the ground.

Have a nice day!

What you want to do is to generate a DSDT.aml and patch it using a script. To generate a DSDT, reboot your computer and at the Clover bootloader, push your arrow keys to stop it from automatically booting into your system. Then press F4 to make your DSDT. Then boot your computer as normal. Your DSDT will be in your EFI > Clover >ACPI > origin folder.

To find the instructions on how to patch your DSDT, Google "SSDT-EC" One of the links should start with "EC Patching - Dealing with AppleACPIEC on a Catalina...." In fact you could Google that phrase and it will pop up.

Follow his Method #2 to Fake the EC. It basically entails downloading the SSDT-time script and running it. It will take your DSDT and patch it, giving you your own SSDT-EC.
Thank you! :)
I suggest you to add EmuVariableUefi to your drivers folder. I think it could help with your random prohibit sign, I've never had it randomly.

Hey Ted.

I just thought I would chime in with my build since there are a few differences.

Hardware:

Intel i9-9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming
Corsair 32GB (2 x16) Ven D4 3200 C16
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Samsung 860 Pro 512GB (x2)

I originally had issues with the bios as well. What I ended up doing was downgrading to F8 and following the settings from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-imac-4k-ga-z390-gaming-x-i9-9900k-vega-56.284652/

Probably not the smartest move. Who's to say that it won't cause issues in the future. Interesting enough, I just updated the bios to the latest version and matched it to your settings, my install still boots and functions just fine.

My biggest issue right now is that the only display port working is the 3rd one (the port furthest from the HDMI port). Originally I was running everything on the internal graphics, and in order to get the RX 5700 to work, I disabled the Inject ATI you have configured in the plist. This got the card to be recognized with the 1 display port and HDMI working.

That's good to know about the SATA limit. Right now I just have the 2 extra SSDs but I plan on adding more. So thanks for that tip. I'll order that controller.

Funny that you're a tape trader / taper... a hobby of mine as well.
Hi GertyMcGee ! I'd like to buy the same graphic card "GIGABYTE AMD Radeon RX 5700 GAMING OC" - it works good with Catalina or not ? Does it have issues with Catalina?) And can i buy CPU without integrated graphic? For example Intel i7-9700F... Can you help me please with this questions?)

Last edited:
Hi GertyMcGee ! I'd like to buy the same graphic card "GIGABYTE AMD Radeon RX 5700 GAMING OC" - it works good with Catalina or not ? Does it have issues with Catalina?) And can i buy CPU without integrated graphic? For example Intel i7-9700F... Can you help me please with this questions?)

That card is inside the buyer's guide, so I think that it works good. Take a look here:

Anyway, I have an XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra. It works very well with Catalina 10.15.4 and it should be a little more powerful than the Gigabyte. ;)

Back