Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Opus i9 Build: Gigabyte Gaming X Z390 - i9-9900K - Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultimate

Ok! Yes necessarily
@Dr.Hoffman -- it looks like there is a new BIOS, but this it is irreversible, ie., you can't rollback to a previous version. The last "rewindable" version is F10i. But it sounds like the new BIOS enhances security. I may try to figure this out over the weekend.

Edit, update: It was easier than I thought and everything is up and running, knock on wood. I added an update to my first post, and here it is, in case you don't want to scroll through all the entries.

Update 2021-12-04: I updated to BIOS F10. The reason I've been dragging my feet with this update is that I had problems with F10h. It did not like my XMP Profile1, and it refused to run unless I ratcheted down the clock speed. Not only that, but the problem persisted when I rolled back to F10g beta.

I managed to figure out how to work around it. After the update, I reconfigure the BIOS settings, including setting XMP to Profile 1, BUT I manually configure the speed to much lower, ie., 2400. Then reboot. If it doesn't load successfully, I have to reset the CMOS, unplug the power, reseat the RAM sticks, then try a lower speed. As soon as I find the lowest speed, I reboot, set the speed a bit higher, eg 2666, then reboot. If it fails, then I do the CMOS reset, RAM reseat all over again. Eventually through this iterative process, I can get back up to 3600. I have no idea why it works, but it works.

Be careful though. With this BIOS update, they specifically warn that you won't be able to rollback to a previous version. I first updated to F10i, and then when I confirmed that I could get the RAM speed back to 3600 with the procedure above, I felt confident to update it to the irreversible F10. So far so good.

Last edited:
@tedyun
Update 2021-11-06: Updated to Monterey 12.0.1. After reading all the problems about TRIM on the Samsung NVMe and that I had an affected drive, I installed Monterey onto a WD SN750.

After BIOS update from your attached file and check options next I tried create bootable USB, for my transcend:
1. Go to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...to-download-macos-directly-from-apple.295248/ and download Monterey 12.0.1 and replace in Application folder; and
2. In terminal:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app --nointeraction
3. Download Clover ---- Clover_r5143.pkg

Run it and install into USB partition.

4. Download @tedyun EFI attachment in first post and replace this folder with that in USB.

Install_macOS_Monterey_и__SUCCESS__Opus_i9_Build__Gigabyte_Gaming_X_Z390_-_i9-9900K_-_Radeon_R...jpg

5. Plug into USB port press F12 select flash but boot didn't occur.

What's wrong in my steps or how your installation scheme did ?

Thank you!

@tedyun

after bios update from your attached file and check options next I tryed create bootable usb, for my transcend:
1. go to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...to-download-macos-directly-from-apple.295248/ and download Monterey 12.0.1 and replace in Application folder.
2. In terminal:

3. Download clover ---- Clover_r5143.pkg

run it and install into usb partition

4. Download @tedyun EFI attachment in first post and replace this folder with that in USB.

View attachment 538117

5. Plug into usb port press F12 select flash but boot didn't occure.

What's wrong in my steps or how your instalation scheme did ?

Thank you!

Hi @Dr.Hofmann

I'm not using Clover anymore. I've switched to OpenCore. I think I have a recent EFI that I can share with you.

I uploaded it here:

See if that works for you. You have to input your serial number, etc. with a Plist editor.

Let me know how it works.

Ted

@tedyun Thank you for you link!
I am use efi mounter add you folder and install Monterey.
But after instalation I didn't mount efi partition with mounter:
Finder got an error: AppleEvent handler failed. (-10000)

For my mistake next I use disk util for format in fat16 and next mount it - copy paste EFI folder from you zip and reboot.
System don't boot Monterey didn't visible.
IMG_20211231_214120.jpg

How can fit it, reinstall system ?
Is there right way mount EFI and do it bootable after instalation in post install?

I use disk util for format in fat16
This is wrong.

When you format the drive as GUID then a FAT32 EFI Partition of around 300mb is automatically created too.
You certainly shouldn't be formatting anything FAT16.

Is it possible in real state restore or create again EFI?
Type EFI means Fat32 ?
Thank you!

@tedyun Thank you for you link!
I am use efi mounter add you folder and install Monterey.
But after instalation I didn't mount efi partition with mounter:

For my mistake next I use disk util for format in fat16 and next mount it - copy paste EFI folder from you zip and reboot.
System don't boot Monterey didn't visible.
View attachment 538183

How can fit it, reinstall system ?
Is there right way mount EFI and do it bootable after instalation in post install?

Hi @Dr.Hofmann --

I'm sorry -- I'm not sure I'm following.

I use EFI Agent to mount the partition, but you can use anything, like Clover Configurator, Open Core Configurator, etc.

I would:

1. Make an installer USB with Monterey (it looks like you've done this as your "disk2"), then copy the EFI folder onto the EFI partition of that installer thumb drive.

2. Boot using the installer thumb drive.

3. In the Monterey installation program, there should be a selection to enter Disk Utility. Enter that, then format your disk0 using GUID partition and APFS format (assuming it is an NVMe drive).

4. Install Monterey onto the NVMe.

5. Boot using the USB drive, then specify your NVMe Monterey drive as your startup disk at the Boot Picker screen.

6. When you land into Monterey, mount your EFI partition on you NVMe drive, then copy the EFI folder onto it.

Let me know if that helps.

Ted

Is it possible in real state restore or create again EFI?
Type EFI means Fat32 ?
Thank you!

I think you should start over again. If I understood correctly, you formatted the EFI in FAT16 (I didn't know that was possible!). One thing that is concerning is that your EFI partition is labeled "Microsoft Basic Data" and I don't know how that affects the process.

Back