i5-10600
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

Was looking for a guide on ASUS PRIME H470 before buying parts but could not find one, so thought I would post after succeeding with mine. I did first try to install with iGPU, but could not get it to work so took the 780 from the machine I was building to replace.

Build:

ASUS PRIME H470M-PLUS
Intel i5-10600
2x8 Gb DDR4 RAM , generic 2400 Mhz
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500 Gb M.2 NVME

Wifi+BT card bought on Ali Express, dont know the model number, but it was bought for my last build that this one replaces. one of the circuits that has native support in osx.

peripherals:
Apple corded keyboard and mouse
Apple trackpad
Case: MacPro G5 case modified for atx
Screen: Apple LED cinema display 27" (adapter from DP to miniDP female for screen):

Everything I have tested so far works, sound, ethernet, BT for trackpad, sleep and wake up (because GTX 780).

I followed the dorthania guide step by step after downloading BigSur on my macbook and created the USB installer there.

USB installer guide:

Opencore guide:

If you follow the steps you should be fine.

TAKE NOTE:
1 - Verify your Firmware on the 970 EVO PLUS before starting install (I booted a windows 10 drive and ran Samsungs Magician program found on the SSD support page)

2 - GTX780 does not support UEFI booting (apparently), so the motherboard boots in safe mode automatically. This also means it enables CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) everytime it reboots. This only meant that I HAD to go into bios/advanced mode/boot/override boot and manually select my USB installer EVERY TIME it restarted during the installation. In other words, OpenCore seemed to work fine even with CSM enabled

Once the install is complete I just copied the EFI folder from USB to the system drive EFI partition. So every time my machine boots it says it booted in safe mode, but OpenCore and OSX still loads without any action on my part (meaning it works even if CSM is enabled).

Also at System drive format stage (once Apple installer has booted) i had to google to verify what to choose, but its just "APFS" and "GUID partition table" as the OpenCore guide says. (I was confused because of the multiple APFS options)

Good luck!

Attachments

• hacintosh.jpg
    hacintosh.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Once the install is complete I just copied the EFI folder from USB to the system drive EFI partition. So every time my machine boots it says it booted in safe mode, but OpenCore and OSX still loads without any action on my part (meaning it works even if CSM is enabled).

Also at System drive format stage (once Apple installer has booted) i had to google to verify what to choose, but its just "APFS" and "GUID partition table" as the OpenCore guide says. (I was confused because of the multiple APFS options)

Good luck!

Great job thank you very much .:thumbup:
I have the same motherboard and initially I thought to install Catalina but after have looked at your post I think will try to install Big-Sur.:geek:
I read that you made an installation based on OpenCore so I wuold ask you if you can share your EFI and your Bios config in order to have a safe path to follow.
Thank you for the help!:)

Last edited:
Great job thank you very much .:thumbup:
I have the same motherboard and initially I thought to install Catalina but after have looked at your post I think will try to install Big-Sur.:geek:
I read that you made an installation based on OpenCore so I wuold ask you if you can share your EFI and your Bios config in order to have a safe path to follow.
Thank you for the help!:)
Hi!

Sorry, I honestly thought I would get emails if someone replied here, but not, so havent checked in here for a while. Have you gotten the build done? I am at work atm but can share my config once I am at home. What video card are you planning on using though? Notice that I never got the internal graphics to work!

Hi!

Sorry, I honestly thought I would get emails if someone replied here, but not, so havent checked in here for a while. Have you gotten the build done? I am at work atm but can share my config once I am at home. What video card are you planning on using though? Notice that I never got the internal graphics to work!
Hi Tobad,
Thank you anyway because "your trace" was very helpuful for me so I succeded by myself in making a Big-Sure build based on the same MOBO.

I have a Radeon RX580 that is natively supported by MACOS>10.11 so I had no issues with graphics.
I'm a bit lazy so I did't try internal graphics but I'm pretty sure that should work becuase "Intel uhd 630" is supported by Big-Sur .
If you want to do a test a have a look at my EFI... may be could help you to fix your issue with internal graphics.

Bye !!! ;)

Attachments

• EFI_1.png
    EFI_1.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 149
  • EFI_2.jpg
    EFI_2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
hi,
I will try something similar so it would be very useful if you could attach your EFI folder.

Thanks

Hi!

Was looking for a guide on ASUS PRIME H470 before buying parts but could not find one, so thought I would post after succeeding with mine. I did first try to install with iGPU, but could not get it to work so took the 780 from the machine I was building to replace.

Build:

ASUS PRIME H470M-PLUS
Intel i5-10600
2x8 Gb DDR4 RAM , generic 2400 Mhz
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500 Gb M.2 NVME

Wifi+BT card bought on Ali Express, dont know the model number, but it was bought for my last build that this one replaces. one of the circuits that has native support in osx.

peripherals:
Apple corded keyboard and mouse
Apple trackpad
Case: MacPro G5 case modified for atx
Screen: Apple LED cinema display 27" (adapter from DP to miniDP female for screen):

Everything I have tested so far works, sound, ethernet, BT for trackpad, sleep and wake up (because GTX 780).

I followed the dorthania guide step by step after downloading BigSur on my macbook and created the USB installer there.

USB installer guide:

Opencore guide:

If you follow the steps you should be fine.

TAKE NOTE:
1 - Verify your Firmware on the 970 EVO PLUS before starting install (I booted a windows 10 drive and ran Samsungs Magician program found on the SSD support page)

2 - GTX780 does not support UEFI booting (apparently), so the motherboard boots in safe mode automatically. This also means it enables CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) everytime it reboots. This only meant that I HAD to go into bios/advanced mode/boot/override boot and manually select my USB installer EVERY TIME it restarted during the installation. In other words, OpenCore seemed to work fine even with CSM enabled

Good luck!
Hello, do you have the usb 2s ( 4 of them ) working? Mine usb 2 do not work( this board has 4 usb 2 on back panel) and post boot failure show also. .If all these are fine,..can share your EFI please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back