CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac

My first OpenCore Build​

IMG_7045.jpeg

(I know, the plastic is still on the glass)
Greetings all,

I've been a member for a number of years and have been lurking in the background, reading, learning, and building a couple systems, one based on an Intel NUC and another that is the foundation of what you are able to read. This one here is my first attempt with OpenCore as well as one of my first posts to the site. I figured I would not necessarily do a detailed guide, but more comment about the experience and provide a list of where I sourced info from. I was determined to not use other people's files as much as possible and I think I accomplished that in only a few attempts.

My daily computer was an Asus Z97-A with an i7-4790K Clover build that seemed to be lagging a lot recently with some of the CAD work I've been doing. So around Christmas time I got the harebrained idea that I would simply upgrade components. I didn't want all the fancy LED lights, just simple and clean and keep costs as low as possible. So, reuse the graphics card, storage media, case, PSU, etc. Ha! Right, that didn't happen. I guess that's what happens when you pick and purchase a motherboard and CPU first without factoring what the cooling requirements of the CPU will be. Once I realized that CPU needed great cooling, I realized the current case wouldn't work, and it spiraled from there. What I was able to reuse: Storage, PSU, Graphics, WiFI/Bluetooth

I wanted to use OpenCore as I never really felt the Clover build was "right". It worked well enough that I didn't care too much, but this time, I wanted to try and iron out some of the oddities the donor computer had. From what I could tell, I could keep my existing installation of Mac OS Catalina so long as I completely replaced the contents of the EFI partition. On with the show...

New Parts:
  • NZXT H510 Case
  • Asus Prime Z490-A motherboard
  • Intel i9-10850K CPU
  • Noctura NH-D15 Black CPU cooler
  • Corsair Vengance LPX (2x16GB)
  • Asus ThunderboltEX 3-TR

Used Parts:
  • Samsung EVO 860 500GB Sata SSD
  • EVGA 600BQ Power Supply
  • Fenvi FV-HB1200 WiFi/Bluetooth Card
  • Sapphire RX 580 8GB Graphics Card

High level build process
Reading through Dortania's OpenCore guide helped (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/) understand OpenCore. You really need to read it a few times to fully grasp it. The formatting of the guide does not help with some of the clarity, but once you are actually in the process of setting it up, it isn't too bad. The config file is the big scary beast, but at the end of the day, you really do not do too much to the file.

So for those worried about the OpenCore config file, don't. The ProperTree program really helps out with that. I was initially using the Plist editor via Xcode, but switched over shortly once I understood what ProperTree actually does.

The main issue I had with the guide is it didn't provide a good example of what a finished EFI folder should look like. Sure they had examples, but the examples really only showed the builds up to the files they provided or gave directions on how to build. I found this out after the first attempt to build my EFI folder. Things went surprising well until it just when to a black screen and nothing else. The computer showed up on the network but VNC and Apple Remote Desktop didn't work. There was a troubleshooting guide for things to do when it goes to a black screen at a certain part of the boot process, but those didn't have any effect.

So I got wondering, there was a lot more files in my Clover EFI folder than I had in the OpenCore folder. So I started searching for examples of what a proper OpenCore EFI folder should look like and tried to keep it as close to the build as I had. I wasn't able to find too much, but what I did find, definitely helped out:

Between the guide and the above links, I was able to determine all the Kexts and ACPI files that I was missing. I booted the computer using an Ubuntu LiveDisk and was able to build much of the SSDTs using SSDTTime. From there, it was a matter of looking for the prebuilt Kexts and comparing what others had in theirs to what I might need to have in mine. I did not end up with a mirror of any of the examples that I referenced. What effect that has, I am not sure, but the computer boots and runs fine. Geekbench scores are a little low for what I would have expected, but one day at a time.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.11.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.11.31 PM.png

USB port mapping always has kicked my butt, I have yet to get it right. As is the case with this build. I've even tried using prebuilt USB port mapping from one of the links above, but the computer won't boot with them. So, that is still to be done.

For this build, I am using the iMac20,2 SMBios. My previous Clover build with the Z97 I used the iMacPro1,1. I tried that with this computer and it gets to the point where just after logging in, it totally freezes. Not sure why, but that will be for another day.

Recap
All features work as you would expect. Boot, Sleep, WiFi, Bluetooth, graphics, unlock with my Apple Watch, Messages, yada yada yada. I have't tried out the ethernet port as I am wifi, but I assume it works as it shows up as a network option.

Dual Boot
Every so often, I have to get into Windows so my previous computer dual booted with Clover. Once I realized my OpenCore build was stable, I decided to implement the dual boot options of OpenCore. Install my windows SSD into the M.2 slot and adjust the config file. That was incredible easy. Too easy to be true so I was very skeptical. Fixing my Windows install EFI boot folder was not. It wasn't horrible, but was more difficult than it probably should have. For those in my situation, here is what I used to fix it: https://bobcares.com/blog/repair-efi-gpt-bootloader/

I have two Windows entries in the OpenCore start up screen, so if you have comments on how to get me down to 1, that would be fantastic. I haven't done much research on that yet as yesterday was the first day of dual booting.

A plus to the dual boot is that if I goof up my config file, I can always boot into Windows and restore the last working configuration without having to pull the drive and plug it in to another computer.

Up next
Enabling the thunderbolt card. From what I can tell, my power supply should be good enough. The 6-pin PCI-e power connector looks to be optional depending if you would like to use the quick charge feature or the 100w charging option. For the moment, I would just like to use some external storage options I have as well as my Apple Thunderbolt Display. There are mixed reports as to if that is possible or not. We shall see.

Sorry this writeup wasn't as glamorous as some of the others. Not really.

Great write-up and congrats on your build, it looks fantastic!

I have a Z490 too (Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme) which I’d converted recently to run both High Sierra and Catalina. High Sierra is particularly hard because no one as yet has 10th gen running on it yet and I’m one of the first few to do so. I will be publishing a guide on it soon.

For your speed it is totally not disappointing! That’s the kind of performance I was expecting on Geekbench 4 anyways. My Z370 Prime P reached 5839 and 26055 on the single and multi core tests, so it’s pretty good!

For the Thunderbolt, it looks like you’ll need a SSDT of sorts for it to work - that worked for my Z490. Alternatively it is to get a Gigabyte version of the TB3 card and flash it with the right Hack-compatible firmware for it to work. I’ve heard from more than one source that the Gigabyte card works well in an ASUS motherboard.

High Sierra is particularly hard because no one as yet has 10th gen running on it yet and I’m one of the first few to do so. I will be publishing a guide on it soon.
Why run HS on a tenth gen system ?

Well all my excitement came to a crashing halt yesterday evening. I was booted into windows, ran some updates and rebooted. From there, nothing would boot. If I selected windows from the OpenCore menu it would just go to a black screen. If I tried to get into the Mac, it would get stuck at the afps_module_start:1689 error. No changes to my config. Even reverted back to the EFI config that I had prior to dual booting. No change.

So, I am back up and running with a mixture of the EFI folder from Shilohh's Golden Build and the thunderbolt SSDT's from Iaksakkah. That got me running and enabled the Thunderbolt card. Clearly there were issues with my initial setup and I would assume lucky it booted and worked as well as it did.

Though when I look at the System Report (from About this Mac) it says "Thunderbolt: No Drivers are loaded." Any ideas on that?

I can plug in a Lacie thunderbolt drive I have and it mounts (via Apple's TB2/TB3 adapter), but the Apple Thunderbolt Display is blank. Oddly, I can plug the display into the computer and then plug the Lacie drive into the back of the monitor and it will still mount. So the signal is there, just no video.

I've found a few reports that theorize the Titan Ridge controller is the culprit and that the Thunderbolt Display is looking for an Alpine Ridge controller to work. From what I can tell, I am unable to use an Alpine Ridge based card due to a difference in the thunderbolt port on my motherboard.

Thanks!

Great write up. I have a very similar build. Could you share your EFI? The reason I ask is everything works with mine apart from auto unlock from Apple Watch when coming back from sleep. Everything else is perfect. I just cannot get my head around this.

I found the issue. I have been using X.M.P II profile under Ram overclocking, I get 3600mhz and a high multicore Geekbench score of 10600. Everything works apart from auto unlock from Apple Watch.

When I set my ram to auto it runs at 2666MHZ, I only get a multicore Geekbench score of 9700 but, Apple Watch Auto Unlock works when coming back from sleep.

Maybe someone else might have a solution to this.

I have tried manually boosting my ram but it won't boot in the OS then.

Sorry for the long delay. It has been a very busy last few months with work and travel. I've attached my OC folder. I have yet to upgrade to an OpenCore version newer than what I installed with.

Watch unlock has worked for me since day 1. I am not experienced enough to be able to really help you troubleshoot. As far as RAM is concerned, if I go above 3066, I get kernel panics. I did realize when I first ran those Geekbench tests, auto was defaulting to 2133. With the change, the scores feel more in line with what I would have expected,

GB4 - 6432 Single 42288 Multi
GB5 - 1265 Single 9919 Multi

The only change I have is that I removed and returned the Thunderbolt card. I was never able to get it to work with my Apple Thunderbolt Display and beyond that, I had no other need for it. The Gigabyte card that has a custom flash for it won't work with the Asus motherboard.

Attachments

• EFI 9 Posted.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
Here is the image you need for port mapping this motherboard and then go watch Technolii, he explains it very simple. I had problems with Hackintool detecting any thumb drive inserted into certain ports. Weird I must say!!

Anyway follow his tutorial and use this map below, its from Shiloh's build he did. The black ports are the ones he enabled and the red ones he disabled. That is a choice of yours.

Attachments

• UsbMap.jpg
    UsbMap.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 158
Here is the image you need for port mapping this motherboard and then go watch Technolii, he explains it very simple. I had problems with Hackintool detecting any thumb drive inserted into certain ports. Weird I must say!!

Anyway follow his tutorial and use this map below, its from Shiloh's build he did. The black ports are the ones he enabled and the red ones he disabled. That is a choice of yours.

I love how ASUS puts the port numbers right in the manual. So smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back