Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting some random crashes/restarts every once in a while. Is there a way to view some sort of log to see what was happening before the crash? It has only happened a handful of times but I haven't been able to see a pattern. When I log back in, I don't get the apple report crash dialog that you'd normally get when you log back in after a crash. I thinking the problem probably has to do with some buggy software not compatible with Mojave yet.
The first thing that comes to mind is to enable both the debug and keepsyms flags in the Boot section of config.plist. If I recall correctly, the former will halt the machine instead of rebooting it, and the latter will save the core dump file.

The first thing that comes to mind is to enable both the debug and keepsyms flags in the Boot section of config.plist. If I recall correctly, the former will halt the machine instead of rebooting it, and the latter will save the core dump file.

Thanks, I'll try that. I had keepsyms already enabled but I just enabled debug=0x100. Will see what happens if / when it crashes again.
Screenshot 2019-01-02 12.32.12.png

Thanks, I'll try that. I had keepsyms already enabled but I just enabled debug=0x100. Will see what happens if / when it crashes again.
Looking at the screenshot, I think you can safely remove the igfxfbdump and shikigva arguments.

Looking at the screenshot, I think you can safely remove the igfxfbdump and shikigva arguments.

Got it! Removed and booted just fine. Thanks for the heads up.

Just thought of this but I also don't have the RX580 SSDT installed. Is that absolutely necessary? I'm not exactly sure what it does. My RX580 works without it.

Got it! Removed and booted just fine. Thanks for the heads up.

Just thought of this but I also don't have the RX580 SSDT installed. Is that absolutely necessary? I'm not exactly sure what it does. My RX580 works without it.
This SSDT is not necessary. It describes the RX580 to macOS so it appears properly in "System Information --> PCI" page. There are two versions of this SSDT: one for RX580 in Slot 1, the other for Slot 2.

Update:
  • Thanks to this post by @kkho555 both Shutdown and Reboot are finally working. The key is to enable the slide=0 field in Clover Configurator and install EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi (in combination with AptioMemoryFix64 and RC-Scripts-in-Target-Volume). Installing this driver by itself without slide=0 leads to catastrophe!
  • Sleep and Wake also seem to be working with this change! Here's the behavior I observed:
    • Choose: Apple Menu --> Sleep
    • Screen goes blank.
    • O/S state information is probably written somewhere.
    • Drives spin down.
    • Chassis and CPU fans turn off.
    • GPU turns off.
    • Then a click is heard and the motherboard seems to turn off.
    • However, the RGB lights on my 4 memory DIMMs continue to shine...this is actually a good indication to me that the system isn't off.
    • Then I press a key on the keyboard and the fans/drives spin up.
    • A few seconds later I press a key again on the keyboard and the Login Screen appears, after which USB devices are back to normal and I pick up where I left off.
    • So it's a 2 key wake procedure.
  • I only set Darkwake to <empty>. See screenshot.
Edit: For kicks I tried to sleep a second time (i.e. Power On --> Sleep --> Wake --> Sleep Again), but this time the system actually shut down. So maybe some more tweaking is needed, but this is still a promising start. The first Sleep was okay.
Thank you mate, I just got a fully working Asus Z390 Plus Gaming(wifi)
I have been looking for shutdown/restart fix for about a month... thank you again and again

Last edited:

I've been running into an issue where sometimes my entire system locks up. Everything on the screen is frozen and mouse/keyboard cease to work. Is this a result of keepsyms being enabled so the system locks up instead of restarts? If so, where does the core dump file get saved for viewing? Nothing gets saved to ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/. Hoping to find the culprit.

I've been running into an issue where sometimes my entire system locks up. Everything on the screen is frozen and mouse/keyboard cease to work. Is this a result of keepsyms being enabled so the system locks up instead of restarts? If so, where does the core dump file get saved for viewing? Nothing gets saved to ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/. Hoping to find the culprit.

Update: Ran Memtest and one of my sticks failed! It is probably safe to say that my system locking up is due to bad RAM. I'm running Memtest on the other stick and all is well so far. I'm letting it run a few cycles overnight just to be sure so I can run my computer on the single stick while I wait for a replacement.

Attachments

• 7F81ED25-FDC2-4874-BD1D-244E94FE4CCA.png
    7F81ED25-FDC2-4874-BD1D-244E94FE4CCA.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 262
Update: Ran Memtest and one of my sticks failed! It is probably safe to say that my system locking up is due to bad RAM. I'm running Memtest on the other stick and all is well so far. I'm letting it run a few cycles overnight just to be sure so I can run my computer on the single stick while I wait for a replacement.
Memtest sounds like a very useful tool for troubleshooting random crashes, and warrants a mention in the build guide. Will update it soon. Debug=0x100 causes the system to halt on a kernel panic rather than reboot.

Your RAM should be under warranty, hence free replacement...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back