Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:
  • Thanks to this post by @kkho555 both Shutdown and Reboot are finally working. The key is to enable the slide=0 field in Clover Configurator and install EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi (in combination with AptioMemoryFix64 and RC-Scripts-in-Target-Volume). Installing this driver by itself without slide=0 leads to catastrophe!
  • Sleep and Wake also seem to be working with this change! Here's the behavior I observed:
    • Choose: Apple Menu --> Sleep
    • Screen goes blank.
    • O/S state information is probably written somewhere.
    • Drives spin down.
    • Chassis and CPU fans turn off.
    • GPU turns off.
    • Then a click is heard and the motherboard seems to turn off.
    • However, the RGB lights on my 4 memory DIMMs continue to shine...this is actually a good indication to me that the system isn't off.
    • Then I press a key on the keyboard and the fans/drives spin up.
    • A few seconds later I press a key again on the keyboard and the Login Screen appears, after which USB devices are back to normal and I pick up where I left off.
    • So it's a 2 key wake procedure.
  • I only set Darkwake to <empty>. See screenshot.
Edit: For kicks I tried to sleep a second time (i.e. Power On --> Sleep --> Wake --> Sleep Again), but this time the system actually shut down. So maybe some more tweaking is needed, but this is still a promising start. The first Sleep was okay.

Attachments

• DARKWAKE.png
    DARKWAKE.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,101
Last edited:
  1. Because I have the RX580, no video drivers are needed. For Vega GPUs -- particularly for power management, I believe -- there are a couple of extra recommended steps. In this link, see Installation of the OS step 2.
  2. I have just started playing with darkwake. I've tried 02 and 10, but according to a post I came across (somewhere?), both of these values are identical (binary 00000010 and 00001010) because that 4th bit flag is no longer used. Because I'm still actively testing sleep/wake, I'll provide a status update soon, probably in Post #1.
  3. Shutdown and Reboot are not working. Removing the debug flag in boot section just allows the system to reboot rather than halt on a kernel panic, but does not in itself prevent the kernel panic. So those panics are still happening on Reboot and Shutdown. Any attempt to install EmuVariableUEFI-64 on this motherboard leads to severe global catastrophe. The only reliable recovery procedure requires re-flashing the motherboard BIOS, which clears out the built-in NVRAM. (If there is a way to clear motherboard NVRAM directly, I'd certainly like to know...) I have to examine appropriate logs and core files to see what's causing the kernel panic.
  4. My current BIOS settings are (only the ones I've changed after choosing "Load Optimized Defaults"):
    • Memory XMP Profile 1
    • Intel Vt-d disabled
    • Enable IGPU always
    • XHCI Hand-off enabled
    • Operating System other
    • CSM Support disabled (this also disables Secure Boot)
    • Trusted Computing disabled
    • Network Stack Configuration disabled
    • Thunderbolt: please see TB3 BIOS screenshots in Post #61.
    • I'll post a more complete list soon. These are off the top of my head...

Thank you, i’ll look forward to your findings. I’ll also let you know if this works for me.

Awesome work thanks CaseySJ. I install this board today along with a 9700k and I'm in a pretty good spot based on the info you've provided. The HD 630 has been kicking my ass for the past couple of hours though. I'd really like to get the graphics hw accelerated

Quick update on the substitute WiFi/BT card by Fosa (BCM94352Z NGFF M.2 Socket-1):
  • Unfortunately this card may not be compatible with this motherboard. It does not appear anywhere in IORegistryExplorer or DPCI Manager.
  • I wonder if my copy of the card is defective or if this card is just too specific to the Lenovo PC...
  • I installed the following kexts by @RehabMan by following the instructions and downloading the files from here.
    • BrcmFirmwareData.kext (CLOVER/kexts/other)
    • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (CLOVER/kexts/other)
    • BroadcomWiFiInjector.kext (CLOVER/kexts/other)
    • FakePCIID.kext (CLOVER/kexts/other)
  • These kexts don't trigger -- again because the DeviceID/VendorID don't seem to be appearing anywhere.
So I'll return this item and just settle on the PCIe x1 card using the more recent BCM94360CS2. (Yes this is just the PCIe adapter; I'll order the WiFi/BT card at the same time.)

Edit: This post by @jaymonkey confirms my suspicions: the CNVi slot on this motherboard is incompatible with standard M.2. CNVi has a slightly different pin layout, which means only CNVi cards will work. Hence, switching to a PCIe x1 card was the right move.

Last edited:
...I did notice that setting the GFX to 128MB in the bios results in being unable to boot.

Awesome work thanks CaseySJ. I install this board today along with a 9700k and I'm in a pretty good spot based on the info you've provided. The HD 630 has been kicking my ass for the past couple of hours though. I'd really like to get the graphics hw accelerated
If you are exclusively using the iGPU, then I can feel your pain! But if you have an AMD RX-series card, it will work very well.

(By the way I updated Post #1 a day ago with the latest versions of custom SSDTs and config.plist. So you don't have to go through the entire thread searching for any updated information.)

I'll post BIOS screenshots shortly (also to Post #1).

Last edited:
I put in a 2080 ti for gaming in Windows which has no macOS support. I do have a radeon card lying around so I may try that until there's a concrete solution.

It'd be awesome if you could include your config file as it stands with updates as you amend things. I think I have everything in there but it'd be useful to see if I've missed anything.

It'd be awesome if you could include your config file as it stands with updates as you amend things. I think I have everything in there but it'd be useful to see if I've missed anything.
See updated post directly above! Also please note that slide=0 must be enabled with EmuVariableUEFI-64. My config.plist SMBIOS has two places where the Serial Number has been faked -- so those values will have to be substituted.

Last edited:
I want to buy this configuration to pair with eGPU (RX580) via TB3 Akitio Node pro. Have anyone tried this config with eGPU or probably knows similar solutions or possible caveats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back