1.6 MB · Views: 528
  • 1B73611F-E4D8-46DC-A599-115B705B21FC.jpeg
    1B73611F-E4D8-46DC-A599-115B705B21FC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 544
  • C55068FB-0776-4965-953E-3DD2D3385024.jpeg
    C55068FB-0776-4965-953E-3DD2D3385024.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 637
Last edited:
I"ve been reading TonyMac86 forums for years but this is my first post.
I'm very much a mac guy but I've been following PC hardware and am finally ready to build my own hack for 4K video editing, audio, and Lightroom.
I know I could have gone with a golden build but I wanted somewhat of a challenge so I went with the Z390 Designare.
My hope is to get Thunderbolt 3 working by following your lead (as well as wifi/bluetooth for airdrop mostly)
I've been following this thread over the past few days and I am glad it looks like I will be able to at least get a running system.

I am curious if there is an obvious choice for wifi right now, I've seen conflicting information on feasibility of replacing Intel CNVi with apple/broadcom chip but would love to use the built in wifi slot and antenna connections rather than taking up another full sized PCI slot.

I am really enjoying the challenge of figuring things out and learning from the experience of so many helpful people on this forum. Actually I seem to be enjoying the experience more than I should be! :)

WiFi and Bluetooth will be my next step. Bluetooth is currently recognized by Mojave, but it does not detect any devices and of course does not pair with them. The Bluetooth preferences pane indicates that it’s looking for devices, but it just spins its wheels...

I believe Mojave supports some Intel Bluetooth chipsets, but none of Intel’s WiFi chipsets. So WiFi might need different hardware while I hope Bluetooth can be made to work.

Thanks for keeping us updated with your build @CaseySJ . I, too, have a 9700k and am looking to switch over from the ASUS Maximus X Hero to the motherboard that you have, purely for the Thunderbolt capabilities.

Definitely seems like there are a few challenges you're encountering, but I'm optimistic and this seems like it could be a fun project. I'll keep everyone updated on what my progress!

Update 2: OWC Dock is Alive!

Thanks to this post by LeleTuratti, I had to modify my Thunderbolt BIOS settings. The key setting (the one that finally solved my problem) is:
  • Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once. This is necessary because of this explanation:

I can finally see my USB flash disk, network port, etc. Attached is the System Report --> PCI screenshot.

Amazing, I might take the plunge and try the Z390 Designare build after all! Are speeds looking normal for your external drives that are connected to the dock? Planning on using TB3 for an audio interface.

Thanks for continuing to document your journey.

Amazing, I might take the plunge and try the Z390 Designare build after all! Are speeds looking normal for your external drives that are connected to the dock? Planning on using TB3 for an audio interface.

Thanks for continuing to document your journey.
I ran into BIOS corruption issues most of the latter part of yesterday. I suspect the "Thunderbolt --> Boot Once" implementation is bad, even in the most recent F4 BIOS. Fortunately, it seems we can keep it Disabled. I've updated Post #60 accordingly.

Now that the system is running again, I'll get back to speed tests, sleep/wake tests, and hot-swap tests. I'll post interim updates rather than all-at-once just because it may take some time to collect the data.

I ran into BIOS corruption issues most of the latter part of yesterday. I suspect the "Thunderbolt --> Boot Once" implementation is bad, even in the most recent F4 BIOS. Fortunately, it seems we can keep it Disabled. I've updated Post #60 accordingly.

Now that the system is running again, I'll get back to speed tests, sleep/wake tests, and hot-swap tests. I'll post interim updates rather than all-at-once just because it may take some time to collect the data.

Thanks for the heads up. Is your TB3 still working with your newly modified BIOS settings?

Thanks for the heads up. Is your TB3 still working with your newly modified BIOS settings?
Yes, works perfectly without that dreaded "Boot Once" setting! In fact here are some Disk Performance benchmarks. The first one is a Samsung Bar Plus 32GB USB 3.1 flash disk connected to the back of the OWC Dock. Read speed is 200+ MB/s exactly as stated in Samsung's specs.

The other two benchmarks are:

1. Sunbow 1TB internal SATA SSD (my data disk). I got it on Amazon lightning sale for $96!
2. ADATA SX8200 NVMe (240GB) PCIe x4 (Mojave O/S disk). This one is nearly 3000MB/s read!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.42.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.42.18 AM.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.44.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.44.51 AM.png
    262 KB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.47.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 9.47.32 AM.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 161
Following! This is great, I was just putting together a build list with the Designare z390 and I9-9900k with dual Vega 64s.
USB3 and TB3 are huge for me since my clients send me drives all the time that I have to work off of.

Following! This is great, I was just putting together a build list with the Designare z390 and I9-9900k with dual Vega 64s.
USB3 and TB3 are huge for me since my clients send me drives all the time that I have to work off of.
Good choices! Be sure to search this forum for guidance on installing Vega GPUs properly!
  • USB3 is working very well with the custom SSDT in Post #1.
  • TB3 is in testing stage now. Because I do not have native TB3 devices (the OWC Dock is just a dock), I may not be a good source of information for devices like TB3-native Audio Interfaces, TB3-native Disk Arrays, etc.
  • The TB3 SSDT is also in somewhat active development by KGP and other members, so I'll continue to adapt their latest version to this motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back