Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you spoofed the 630 and lost video did you try TB -----> HDMI were you on SM 18,1?
This is something I plan to do with the TB3 dock. I actually don't have any Thunderbolt devices (except an Apple TB2 to gigabit Ethernet adapter) at this time. I could try using a USB Type-C DisplayPort to HDMI cable, but I would have to go and buy one. But with the TB3 dock arriving later today and the video ports built into it, I should be able to test TB to HDMI.

Because the UHD630 in the 9th generation Core processor has a different device ID (3E98), neither MacOS nor WhateverGreen recognized it. So with only the iGPU installed (RX580 removed) and SMBIOS set to a single-GPU Mac model, MacOS simply defaulted to the Apple graphics driver, and System Report could not identify the iGPU by name. With the default driver, I was able to get video output from the HDMI port on the Designare motherboard.

However, it would be nice to have the 3E98 device ID supported, either by a subsequent release of Mojave or a subsequent release of WhateverGreen.

@CaseySJ,

I recently helped out user @blouse who has a i9 9900K build with working headless IGPU (UHD630 9th Gen) you can check out his settings on this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-pro-dual-vega-64s.264948/page-5#post-1859826.

Those settings should work with your i7 9700K ... note that in addition to setting the AAPL,ig-platform-id Device Property he also sets the device-id property (check the device-id option on the Advanced options on the Patch tab of HD-Patcher) ... also note that he injected a Fake-ID (non matching) for the IGPU using Clover.

Might also be worth checking out his build guide.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get TB to work most of the day. From all my testing it seems like the thunderbolt slots do work, but some apple thunderbolt drivers are not wired up correctly causing Mojave to not link them up to the thunderbolt controller.

Hot plug with my TB audio interface works and even the installed driver shows up in IOREg, but when I check the console of my audio interface's drivers it looks like it spots the device but is not able to communicate with it. Audio interface shows up in PCI tab of about my mac in the same way as on my real macbook. Even so it does not work at all, does not show up as an audio output anywhere in OSX.

I also tried a eGPU. The eGPU requires a special TB3 40gbps cable to be recognized properly, if I try using a regular usb-c cable I get a OSX popup saying "Thunderbolt accessory not supported, thunderbolt is not supported on this mac" and the eGPU appears under HS13 @ XHC usb controller in IOReg.

With the correct tb3 cable if I plug in the eGPU it's recognized without error and shows up under RP05/UPSB/DSB1 as it should and appears in PCI tab. Still doesn't work of course, however my egpu has a usb-c pass through, and if I plug a hard drive in there the hard drive is recognized and fully works, I can transfer files off and to it. So it seems "dumb" devices like hubs/drives work fine, but anything that actually needs to communicate back and forth over the TB controller does not.

Effectively it seems like the ports are pure USB 3.2(and a half?) ports without the proper linking to the TB controller.

However on my real macbook in IOReg there are a lot more fields at DBS1@1 +UPS0 + pci-bridge@0, like "Thunderbolt Path", "Tunnel Endpoint Device Model ID", "Tunnel Endpoint Device Vendor ID", "Tunnel Endpoint GUID". The most interesting being "ThunderBolt Path", it's a string that describes the full IOService path to the actual physical thunderbolt port plugged into. I will try it in a bit when I recover and report back.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 6.59.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.19.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.24.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.24.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.54.53 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPGZ.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 108
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP-DZ.aml
    6.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
@CaseySJ,

I recently helped out user @blouse who has a i9 9900K build with working headless IGPU (UHD630 9th Gen) you can check out his settings on this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-pro-dual-vega-64s.264948/page-5#post-1859826.

Those settings should work with your i7 9700K ... note that in addition to setting the AAPL,ig-platform-id Device Property he also sets the device-id property (check the device-id option on the Advanced options on the Patch tab of HD-Patcher) ... also note that he injected a Fake-ID (non matching) for the IGPU using Clover.

Might also be worth checking out his build guide.

Cheers
Jay
Ah, looks like he spoofed the iGPU to Device ID 3E9B, whereas I spoofed it to 3E92. My iGPU with fake ID 3E92 is also working and has both H.264 and HEVC hardware acceleration enabled! It is operating in headless mode because "System Report --> Graphics/Displays" does not mention the iGPU, but IORegistry confirms it's up and running.

Edit: Turns out I've been using 3E9B as well these past few days. Can't seem to keep track of the hectic changes I was making!

Last edited:
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get TB to work most of the day. From all my testing it seems like the thunderbolt slots do work, but some apple thunderbolt drivers are not wired up correctly causing Mojave to not link them up to the thunderbolt controller.

Hot plug with my TB audio interface works and even the installed driver shows up in IOREg, but when I check the console of my audio interface's drivers it looks like it spots the device but is not able to communicate with it. Audio interface shows up in PCI tab of about my mac in the same way as on my real macbook. Even so it does not work at all, does not show up as an audio output anywhere in OSX.

I also tried a eGPU. The eGPU requires a special TB3 40gbps cable to be recognized properly, if I try using a regular usb-c cable I get a OSX popup saying "Thunderbolt accessory not supported, thunderbolt is not supported on this mac" and the eGPU appears under HS13 @ XHC usb controller in IOReg.

With the correct tb3 cable if I plug in the eGPU it's recognized without error and shows up under RP05/UPSB/DSB1 as it should and appears in PCI tab. Still doesn't work of course, however my egpu has a usb-c pass through, and if I plug a hard drive in there the hard drive is recognized and fully works, I can transfer files off and to it. So it seems "dumb" devices like hubs/drives work fine, but anything that actually needs to communicate back and forth over the TB controller does not.

Effectively it seems like the ports are pure USB 3.2(and a half?) ports without the proper linking to the TB controller.
I received my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock last night and spent a couple of unsuccessful hours trying to make it work! :(

I am seeing pretty much the same behavior as you, namely:
  • USB devices work, but they are driven by the XHC driver, not one of the AppleThunderbolt drivers (according to IORegistry).
  • The OWC Dock is not recognized. It does not appear anywhere under RP05-->UPSB0 (or elsewhere). Even if I insert a USB flash drive and reboot the system, neither the dock nor the flash drive are detected. IORegistry has no information about them.
  • I downloaded KGP's latest TB3 SSDT. Because he is using the GC-Titan Ridge card plugged into Slot-4, I modified it for PCI0/RP05. I also changed "Slot-4" to "Built In". However, the OWC dock is not recognized even by this SSDT (attached).
Glad to see that your Antelope Audio Interface and your eGPU enclosure are at least showing up in IORegistry, even if partially.

If the TB3 SSDT on KGP's X299 system is working more-or-less normally (i.e. TB3 devices can be attached and can be communicated with), then I think it's a matter of further tweaking that SSDT for use on our built-in Titan Ridge controller.

By the way, while I don't think the following is relevant, I'll mention it anyway:

The GC-Titan Ridge card in KGP's system has:
  • 2 Mini DisplayPort inputs
  • 1 DisplayPort 1.4 output
  • 2 Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type C) ports
But the Designare Z390 has:
  • 0 Mini DisplayPort inputs
  • 1 DisplayPort 1.4 input

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP-DESIGNARE-V2.aml
    6.2 KB · Views: 100
I received my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock last night and spent a couple of unsuccessful hours trying to make it work! :(

I am seeing pretty much the same behavior as you, namely:
  • USB devices work, but they are driven by the XHC driver, not one of the AppleThunderbolt drivers (according to IORegistry).
  • The OWC Dock is not recognized. It does not appear anywhere under RP05-->UPSB0 (or elsewhere). Even if I insert a USB flash drive and reboot the system, neither the dock nor the flash drive are detected. IORegistry has no information about them.
  • I downloaded KGP's latest TB3 SSDT. Because he is using the GC-Titan Ridge card plugged into Slot-4, I modified it for PCI0/RP05. I also changed "Slot-4" to "Built In". However, the OWC dock is not recognized even by this SSDT (attached).
Glad to see that your Antelope Audio Interface and your eGPU enclosure are at least showing up in IORegistry, even if partially.

If the TB3 SSDT on KGP's X299 system is working more-or-less normally (i.e. TB3 devices can be attached and can be communicated with), then I think it's a matter of further tweaking that SSDT for use on our built-in Titan Ridge controller.

By the way, while I don't think the following is relevant, I'll mention it anyway:

The GC-Titan Ridge card in KGP's system has:
  • 2 Mini DisplayPort inputs
  • 1 DisplayPort 1.4 output
But the Designare Z390 has:
  • 0 Mini DisplayPort inputs
  • 1 DisplayPort 1.4 input
You can try the SSDTs I attached in my last post, they are KGP's latest slightly modified. Also make sure in BIOS thunderbolt is on, force GPIO or whatever is on, DTBT controller is on, security is set to no security.

I do think we are close and some SSDT experts can probably crack this case quick. For the most part I think the main issue is that almost all of the SSDT titan ridge work so far has been for the gigabyte PCI card instead of built-in mobo.

You can try the SSDTs I attached in my last post, they are KGP's latest slightly modified. Also make sure in BIOS thunderbolt is on, force GPIO or whatever is on, DTBT controller is on, security is set to no security.

I do think we are close and some SSDT experts can probably crack this case quick. For the most part I think the main issue is that almost all of the SSDT titan ridge work so far has been for the gigabyte PCI card instead of built-in mobo.
KGP posted this image of his Thunderbolt BIOS settings (ASUS motherboard, though). Will try your suggestion and your SSDT later this evening. For Alpine Ridge users he suggested having a TB3 or USB-C device plugged into each of the two TB3 ports at startup. Maybe we should try this also for Titan Ridge? And finally, he suggests looking at the boot log for any "ACPI Error" messages.

Attachments

• TB_Settings.png
    TB_Settings.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
Quick update. The attached Thunderbolt 3 SSDT removes the PXSX device before adding the UPSB devices, but it also renumbers the 4 USB ports as follows:

HS01 --> Adr One (original was 0x03)
HS02 --> Adr 0x02 (original was 0x04)
SSP1 --> Adr 0x03 (original was One)
SSP2 --> Adr 0x04 (original was 0x02)

Now a SuperSpeed USB device plugged into the USB-C ports is recognized properly as a SSPx device instead of HSxx device. Nothing else has changed. Still trying to figure out why my OWC dock is not being recognized. Might take it to an Apple store and plug it into a TB3 port there to verify if it's working.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-TB3-IN-PROGRESS.aml
    6.3 KB · Views: 94
Anyone else with the Z390 Designare have an issue with it rebooting when sleep?

Update 2: OWC Dock is Alive!

Thanks to this post by LeleTuratti, I had to modify my Thunderbolt BIOS settings. The key setting (the one that finally solved my problem) is:
  • Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once. This is necessary because of this explanation:
You can't boot from a Thunderbolt device unless EFI sets up Thunderbolt to enumerate the devices and allocate resource for them. Setting "Boot Once" makes that happen in EFI, and they remain setup when macOS starts.

I can finally see my USB flash disk, network port, etc. Attached is the System Report --> PCI screenshot.

Update: 12-02-2018: The Boot Once setting seems to corrupt the motherboard BIOS. Do NOT use it. Instead, just disable Thunderbolt Security and optionally set Thunderbolt Reserved Memory to 737 and Thunderbolt Reserved PMemory to 1184.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 6.38.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 6.38.37 AM.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back