Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enabled IGPU in BIOS and removed the RX580. Boot hung at the same "Start ReadKernalCache" line.
I think we have exhausted all of the reasonably plausible scenarios. Your hardware appears to be properly configured and you have plenty of PCI lanes available.

My suggestion now would be to attempt a fresh (and temporary) installation on an external SATA SSD or other internal or external disk.

Reason: There might be problems in your /System/Library/Extensions folder or some other needle in a haystack. Rather than track it down, a fresh installation by strictly following the Build Guide might be the fastest path to a working system.

It shouldn’t take long, but it will require an hour or two.

Of course if someone has an alternative suggestion, please offer it.

ReadKernelCache errors are often resolved by rebuilding the caches:
  • Boot to Recovery volume
  • Run Terminal from Tools
  • Type:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
  • Reboot
I think we tried this before without success, but might be worth another attempt. Chances of success are low...

Sounds like we have the same power configuration. My interpretation of the manual was that the 12V_2x2 isn't required. My PSU doesn't even have a standalone 2x2 port or cable.
The GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Alpine Ridge PCIe cards require two 6-pin or 8-pin power connectors because the cards need to supply about 100W to TB3 devices.

The Designare has built-in Titan Ridge that also needs to deliver 100W to TB3 devices.

So where will the on-board TB3 controller get the extra power it needs? My guess is that the extra 2x2 connector might have something to do with this power delivery. So while it may not be needed in all cases, it most likely serves an important purpose.

I think we have exhausted all of the reasonably plausible scenarios. Your hardware appears to be properly configured and you have plenty of PCI lanes available.

My suggestion now would be to attempt a fresh (and temporary) installation on an external SATA SSD or other internal or external disk.

Reason: There might be problems in your /System/Library/Extensions folder or some other needle in a haystack. Rather than track it down, a fresh installation by strictly following the Build Guide might be the fastest path to a working system.

It shouldn’t take long, but it will require an hour or two.

Of course if someone has an alternative suggestion, please offer it.

Yeah I agree – it seems like we're hitting a wall. I appreciate all your help. Luckily viewing JPEGs in Quicklook and Preview isn't super important for me.

I will try a fresh install using Unibeast to see what happens. My last two installs were Vanilla installs.

I did a fresh Unibeast 10.14.2 install following the build guide which was very well written and super easy to follow. Props to @CaseySJ for putting that together. I'm sure it'll help a ton of people out.

Unfortunately, after completing the install / post installation steps and enabling IGPU, the boot froze at "Start ReadKernalCache".

I think we've hit a wall with this issue and I can just continue to use the machine without Jpeg Quicklook .

I just tested this and it's probably worth mentioning for documentation purposes that both my Vanilla and Unibeast Mojave install USB sticks hang on "Start UncompressKernelCache" with IGPU enabled in BIOS (screenshot attached). Turning IGPU off allowed me to continue to the Mojave installation process.

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Was able to fix my Quicklook / Preview JPEG issue using the NoVPAJpeg.kext by Vulgo!

https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

There is a bunch of good information in the Insanely Mac thread below if anyone comes across the same problem as me and lands on this thread.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-and-preview-loading-issues-in-mojave/?page=8

Still unsure why having IGPU enabled stops my system from booting when it works for everyone else on this thread but for now the NoVPAJpeg Kext will have to do!

Last edited:
Thank you for trying the whole process again! This result suggests that your main Mojave installation is perfectly okay.

Glad you found the NoVPAJpeg.kext.

Maybe there’s a hardware problem with the Intel chip on your motherboard. If someone you know has any 9th Gen Core CPU (i5-9600K, i7-9700K, i9-9900K), perhaps they could let you drop it into your board for a quick test of iGPU. Even an 8th gen Core CPU would suffice for this purpose.

If another Intel chip works, then it suggests a problem with yours. If another Intel chip also fails, it might suggest a problem with the motherboard.

Last edited:
Thank you for trying the whole process again! This result suggests that your main Mojave installation is perfectly okay.

Glad you found the NoVPAJpeg.kext.

Maybe there’s a hardware problem with the Intel chip on your motherboard. If someone you know has any 9th Gen Core CPU (i9-9600k, i9-9700k i9-9900k), perhaps they could let you drop it into your board for a quick test of iGPU. Even an 8th gen Core CPU would suffice for this purpose.

If another Intel chip works, then it suggests a problem with yours. If another Intel chip also fails, it might suggest a problem with the motherboard.

If my Intel chip is bad would it still be able to display bios graphics and the verbose text leading up to the boot hang?

If my Intel chip is bad would it still be able to display bios graphics and the verbose text leading up to the boot hang?
The iGPU has hundreds of millions of transistors that handle not only video, but also compute tasks. Video functionality can be okay but compute units could be problematic.

The motherboard can also be the culprit. There was no “Initial Display Output” in BIOS until the reflash of F4. So that’s odd as well. Upgrading BIOS to latest version is worth a try. Gigabyte will have tested it thoroughly so chances of failure, while never zero, should be slim.

While all of your components are still under warranty, I would suggest going through a controlled process of elimination. We tried “swapping software” by reinstalling Mojave from scratch. We can continue the software swap by installing Windows to the temporary drive and seeing whether or not it works with the iGPU.

Failing that, it may be necessary to start “swapping hardware” before warranty expires or the return/exchange window closes. Swapping CPU is easier than swapping motherboard.

Last edited:
The iGPU has hundreds of millions of transistors that handle not only video, but also compute tasks. Video functionality can be okay but compute units could be problematic.

The motherboard can also be the culprit. There was no “Initial Display Output” in BIOS until the reflash of F4. So that’s odd as well. Upgrading BIOS to latest version is worth a try. Gigabyte will have tested it thoroughly so chances of failure, while never zero, should be slim.

While all of your components are still under warranty, I would suggest going through a controlled process of elimination. We tried “swapping software” by reinstalling Mojave from scratch. We can continue the software swap by installing Windows to the temporary drive and seeing whether or not it works with the iGPU.

Failing that, it may be necessary to start “swapping hardware” before warranty expires or the return/exchange window closes. Swapping CPU is easier than swapping motherboard.

Makes sense.

I read back a couple pages and I think my “Initial Display Output” setting might have always been there. I just forgot to include a screenshot of the main "Peripherals" page in post #251. @ripe_md 's Initial Display Output setting is in the "Peripherals" section, not the "Chipset" section as mentioned in post #261.

Doing a Windows install is a good idea. I will attempt that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back