Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Toby, so far unfortunately I have not seen anyone who's been able to get accelerated video from their 9th generation iGPU. Most of us have opted for an AMD RX 580 as the principal video card, and this option works beautifully out of the box. Having said this, someone pointed me to the following thread where this type of problem is discussed is good detail. I haven't read through it yet, so I'm not sure if the information can be applied to the 9th Gen Core CPU.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

Ok, i think i have managed to get at least something:
Installed the two today released Versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen.
In Clover i went for fake ID 0x3E928086.
First of all, after restart i was just suprised to get an image but it was flickering like hell. It looked for me, that somehow the sizeing of the screen is causing the problems and so i changed my profile from iMac 18,3 to 18,1 restarted again and it worked.

So I have no clue if this (see attached png) now is really accelerated video but at least i got all these transparency effects and as well a way more smooth scrolling (like i know it from my macbook).

Greets

Attachments

• uhd.png
    uhd.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 220
  • uhd2.png
    uhd2.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 219
Ok, i think i have managed to get at least something:
Installed the two today released Versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen.
In Clover i went for fake ID 0x3E928086.
First of all, after restart i was just suprised to get an image but it was flickering like hell. It looked for me, that somehow the sizeing of the screen is causing the problems and so i changed my profile from iMac 18,3 to 18,1 restarted again and it worked.

So I have no clue if this (see attached png) now is really accelerated video but at least i got all these transparency effects and as well a way more smooth scrolling (like i know it from my macbook).

Greets
This sounds encouraging. ID 0x3E928086 is not a fake one, but the real ID for the 9th Gen iGPU. When I use this ID, I get non-accelerated video -- the same "flickering like hell" that you reported. But you're saying that by upgrading to the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen, changing SMBIOS to 18,1 and still keep 0x3E928086, you now get video output from the motherboard?

If so, would you mind running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the large list on the left side until you see "IGPU" and see if there's an AppleIntelFramebuffer attached to it.

That's really strange. Can you compress and upload your EFI folder from the Mojave disk (not USB)? Please remove your Serial Number and Board Serial Number from SMBIOS of config.plist prior to upload.

Some other things to try:
  1. Shutdown the system and pull the power cable from the power supply for at least 10 seconds. Just shutting down the system is not sufficient. Either flip the power switch on the power supply or pull the power cable. Then insert power cable again and start machine.
  2. Re-apply BIOS settings: BIOS Setup --> Load Optimized Defaults (from the Save/Exit menu) --> then apply BIOS settings per Post #1.
  3. Connect HDMI cable to RX580 at all times. Do not use HDMI on motherboard.
  4. Try to boot Mojave...does it still freeze? At same place?

Still scratching my head with this one. I've attached my config.plist. Thanks @CaseySJ .

Attachments

• config Noise Coalition.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 113
This sounds encouraging. ID 0x3E928086 is not a fake one, but the real ID for the 9th Gen iGPU. When I use this ID, I get non-accelerated video -- the same "flickering like hell" that you reported. But you're saying that by upgrading to the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen, changing SMBIOS to 18,1 and still keep 0x3E928086, you now get video output from the motherboard?

If so, would you mind running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the large list on the left side until you see "IGPU" and see if there's an AppleIntelFramebuffer attached to it.

This is what i get:

Attachments

• uhd3.png
    uhd3.png
    91 KB · Views: 226
This is what i get:
Yes that confirms accelerated graphics from the iGPU! Now I am really eager to test this when I return from vacation!!

Still scratching my head with this one. I've attached my config.plist. Thanks @CaseySJ .
I made a couple of changes to your config.plist to inject the iGPU device ID in a different way.

According to Toby above, the latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen may provide better support for the 9th Gen iGPU. Below are links to today's releases of Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC. It would be a good idea to upgrade to these versions.

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases
https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases

These changes may not fix the boot problem, but it's good to try anyway.

To diagnose the boot problem, what files are located in your /Library/Extensions folder and in EFI/CLOVER/driversUEFI64 on the Mojave disk? Screenshots would be good enough. Also, please download and run Kext Utility. Just running this utility will fix file permissions and rebuild kext caches -- keep an eye on its status window until it says "Done".

Attachments

• config-NC-V2.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 161
This sounds encouraging. ID 0x3E928086 is not a fake one, but the real ID for the 9th Gen iGPU.
Correction: 0x3E928086 is in fact a fake ID for the 9th iGPU. Toby was right. The real ID for this device is 0x3E988086. Nevertheless, it seems we’ve been unable to get video output using either 3E92 or 3E9B until now.

Correction: 0x3E928086 is in fact a fake ID for the 9th iGPU. Toby was right. The real ID for this device is 0x3E988086. Nevertheless, it seems we’ve been unable to get video output using either 3E92 or 3E9B until now.

Just to add: I tried yesterday as well the 3E988 ID, but after restart GPU acceleration immediately stopped working. So and thats no suprise, because there is no apple device using a 9th generation CPU, Mojave simple don't know that there are 9th generation CPUs existing right now.

Just to add: I tried yesterday as well the 3E988 ID, but after restart GPU acceleration immediately stopped working. So and thats no suprise, because there is no apple device using a 9th generation CPU, Mojave simple don't know that there are 9th generation CPUs existing right now.
Correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back