Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've left mine in without any problem, but this is because I modified the custom USB SSDT to disable HS14 on which the Intel Bluetooth attaches, and enabled HS11 on which the new PCIe module attaches.

Glad you didn't take my advice. Looks like the Z390 has a new custom slot for wifi (ALREADY?) and I don't think any broadcom card will fit in it. They just switched from mpcie to M.2E. Can't believe they are already starting a different slot configuration. Sorry, I didn't know.

I've had good luck with Cable Matters stuff too.
I’ve been scratching my head the last couple of days because:
  • @logritm encountered black screen problems apparently related to HDMI cable quality and cable length.
  • @ripe_md was able to install the OS with one out of a handful of USB drives. And repeat installations on different destination are failing.
  • @NoiseCoalition encounters boot errors as soon as he enables IGPU in BIOS.
I feel their frustration. And I’m not sure I have the answer. I would never have guessed the HDMI cable problem, for instance. My own experience has been rather uneventful except for some growing pains described earlier in this thread. Sometimes the answer lies in the most unexpected of places...

Sometimes the answer lies in the most unexpected of places...

Maybe in the next days under the christmas tree :thumbup:

Enjoy your vacation. Currently I try to modify the SSDT for the RX 580.

Here an update regarding the proper identification of the RX 580 placed in PCIe slot #2:
  • I've used CaseySJ's "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml" as the basis. His RX 580 is placed in PCIe slot #1 (the slot closest to the CPU)
  • Based on my assessment using "IORegistryExplorer" the graphics card is mapped to PEG1@1,1. Hence I had to change all occurrences of PEG0 to PEG1 in the AML file. In addition I've changed the strings "Slot-1" to "Slot-2" as well as "onboard-1" to onboard-2"
Attached the modified AML and three additional screenshots taken from System Information.

@CaseySJ
If possible could you please verify the details regarding the "Display Controller" in your system. In my case it shows ATY, Orinoco. Maybe there is something wrong on my side.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-PCIE2.aml
    1.2 KB · Views: 113
  • RX580-1.png
    RX580-1.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 127
  • RX580-2.png
    RX580-2.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 120
  • RX580-3.png
    RX580-3.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Status: Not working. Does not appear in System Report. Will wait for new WhateverGreen.
  • Status: 11-28-2018: Even though UHD630 does not appear in System Report, if we use an external graphics card (RX580 in my case) then the iGPU is enabled and VideoProc confirms that it works. Screenshot uploaded. Just to be clear: there is still no video output from the external ports (HDMI in my case), but compute units on the UHD630 are working. This is considered normal for a "headless" configuration.
  • Status: Fully working in headless mode, but not in headed(?) mode. Quicklook and Preview work perfectly.
[/SIZE]

Hi there. I'm running into the very same problem, if I use Whatevergreen.kext. MacOS is running but simply no hdmi output.

Now, due to the reason that this is the only missing link to a pretty stable built (i will make a summary during the holidays for the community, inklsv SSDTs and so on), my question is, did you try out the new whatevergreen 1.2.5 version?

I'm a little afraid to do so, because I'm still vey new into building a hackintosh and after all this work I've done so far to get it like it is in the moment (Thunderbolt works, USB, WIFI, Blutooth,... everythings works stable) I'm still not 100% sure what to do when i boot now into a blackscreen.

Greetings Toby

EDIT: Thank you again for your help yesterday casey, with my messed up plist I would for sure still try get everything to work ;)

Last edited:
Here an update regarding the proper identification of the RX 580 placed in PCIe slot #2:
  • I've used CaseySJ's "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml" as the basis. His RX 580 is placed in PCIe slot #1 (the slot closest to the CPU)
  • Based on my assessment using "IORegistryExplorer" the graphics card is mapped to PEG1@1,1. Hence I had to change all occurrences of PEG0 to PEG1 in the AML file. In addition I've changed the strings "Slot-1" to "Slot-2" as well as "onboard-1" to onboard-2"
Attached the modified AML and three additional screenshots taken from System Information.

@CaseySJ
If possible could you please verify the details regarding the "Display Controller" in your system. In my case it shows ATY, Orinoco. Maybe there is something wrong on my side.
Awesome, looks good to me!!

As for the Display Controller, I would have to check this when I return from vacation. But Orinoco, I believe, is what I have as well. The RX 580 uses the AMD9500 controller and the Framebuffer personality is Orinoco. See attached image taken from here.

Attachments

• Orinoco.png
    Orinoco.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. By the way, AppleALC v1.3.4 has just been officially released.

Now I have to grab my TB3 dock from the office to verify the Thunderbolt functionality.

Hi there. I'm running into the very same problem, if I use Whatevergreen.kext. MacOS is running but simply no hdmi output.

Now, due to the reason that this is the only missing link to a pretty stable built (i will make a summary during the holidays for the community, inklsv SSDTs and so on), my question is, did you try out the new whatevergreen 1.2.5 version?

I'm a little afraid to do so, because I'm still vey new into building a hackintosh and after all this work I've done so far to get it like it is in the moment (Thunderbolt works, USB, WIFI, Blutooth,... everythings works stable) I'm still not 100% sure what to do when i boot now into a blackscreen.

Greetings Toby

EDIT: Thank you again for your help yesterday casey, with my messed up plist I would for sure still try get everything to work ;)
Hello Toby, so far unfortunately I have not seen anyone who's been able to get accelerated video from their 9th generation iGPU. Most of us have opted for an AMD RX 580 as the principal video card, and this option works beautifully out of the box. Having said this, someone pointed me to the following thread where this type of problem is discussed is good detail. I haven't read through it yet, so I'm not sure if the information can be applied to the 9th Gen Core CPU.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

By the way, AppleALC v1.3.4 has just been officially released..
Interesting that the Release Note states:
  • Added ALC1220 layout-id 16 for Gigabyte Z390 by MacPeet
We are using Layout-ID 7. I wonder if we need to change it to 16. Will have to experiment when I return from vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back