Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @CaseySJ .. i ordered your same motherboard and i am waiting it .. i will try to use it with an 8700k processor .. do you think that i have to change something in my efi configuration? It will be my first hackintosh so i dont understand much ...but i try to follow this comunity and study hard from months . I am a music producer so i hope to connect my uad 2 octo satellite and my lynx hilo using TB .
Thanks for your hard work

Hi @CaseySJ .. i ordered your same motherboard and i am waiting it .. i will try to use it with an 8700k processor .. do you think that i have to change something in my efi configuration? It will be my first hackintosh so i dont understand much ...but i try to follow this comunity and study hard from months . I am a music producer so i hope to connect my uad 2 octo satellite and my lynx hilo using TB .
Thanks for your hard work
I posted 2 different EFI folders in Post #116 that should apply to your case without any modification. But as we're seeing with @NoiseCoalition above, we cannot assume that things will work exactly! So be prepared for some tweaking...

I will create the Build Guide for this system soon, but in the meantime:

1. Create the USB installer with UniBeast using a USB 2 or USB 3 flash disk no bigger than 32GB. I used a Samsung Bar Plus USB 3.0 flash disk and inserted it into a USB 3 port on the rear I/O. This drive has 200 MB/s read speed, and Mojave was installed very quickly.

2. When UniBeast is done, mount the newly created EFI partition on the USB disk by running EFI Mounter v3. Then backup the entire EFI folder and replace it with CaseySJ-USB-Installer-EFI-Folder (rename the folder to EFI).

3. Make sure there are no PCIe cards in the system. Then download and flash the F4 BIOS to the motherboard by copying the BIOS file to the root folder of a different flash disk. After F4 BIOS is installed, enter BIOS Setup and change BIOS Settings as described in Post #1. And then remove this USB disk.

4. Insert the Mojave Installer USB disk in the system, then if you're still in BIOS Setup, choose "Save and Exit". When system reboots it should automatically boot from the Mojave Installer USB. If it does not, press F12 during boot and select the Mojave USB disk.

5. If you encounter "Couldn't allocate runtime area" or "Error allocating xxxx" messages on boot, try replacing AptioMemoryFix-64 in the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (on USB disk) with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 as described in Post #1 or a couple of posts before this one. Then reboot the system and see if the installation begins correctly.

For Post-Installation, you can again use EFI Mounter v3 to mount the Mojave EFI partition (usually disk0s1), backup the existing EFI folder, and replace it with FINAL-CONFIG-RENAME-TO-EFI (also in Post #116). If you have an AMD RX580, you can install that in PCIe slot 1 (x16) and then reboot the system (in this case connect display monitor to a video port on the RX580). If you're not using the RX580, simply delete this file from the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the Mojave EFI partition: SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml.

Please note that some people are reporting issues with their Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces (see earlier posts in this thread). Certain makes/models of audio devices are working better than others.

By the way, this is an awesome motherboard and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited:
@CaseySJ wow thank you for the latest post ... my motherboard arrive before christmas .. Still nobody have this in italy. I have a new msi rx580 8gb to use in my configuration .. i hope to start built it soon :)

Status update after a little testing:

Sleep: Works
Restart: Works
Shutdown: Reboots instead of shutdown
  • I've attached a shoddy screen shot of the shutdown process. Had to screen grab a video because it moved so quickly.
    Any ideas here?
USB Ports: Seem to work, haven’t tested speeds but I plugged in an external drive into every port and the drive always showed up.
Built in Audio: Haven’t tested, not using
External GPU: Partially working - only works via DVI. HDMI not working.
**solved per post 141**
  • Need to research this a bit. Haven't done any tweaking.
Internal GPU: Haven’t tested, not using.
Ethernet Ports: Works
Wifi: No card installed
Thunderbolt 3: System information says "No drivers are loaded".
  • Placed SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml (renamed SSDT.aml) in EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched. Upon reboot, computer hung on "Too many corpses being created" error. Screenshot below. Easy restore from carbon copy cloner backup so I'm back up and running on the main drive. Maybe it's because I'm using a Vanilla build instead of Unibeast?
  • Do I need to boot into windows and install the TB3 driver?

Also attached screenshots with my Kext folder and UEFI Folder. Happy that a lot of things were working right off the bat. Still have some tweaking to do to get TB3 to show up, HDMI on the RX580 to work, and shutdown to work. Any suggestions or thoughts are always appreciated!

Attachments

• Shutdown.png
    Shutdown.png
    975 KB · Views: 119
  • Others Kext Folder.png
    Others Kext Folder.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 120
  • drivers64UEFI Folder.png
    drivers64UEFI Folder.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 120
  • TB3 SSDT Error.jpg
    TB3 SSDT Error.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Status update after a little testing:

Sleep: Works
Restart: Works
Shutdown: Reboots instead of shutdown
  • I've attached a shoddy screen shot of the shutdown process. Had to screen grab a video because it moved so quickly.
    Any ideas here?
Two steps needed:
  1. Use Clover (not Clover Configurator) to install EmuVariableUefi-64, check-on Install RC scripts in target volume and enable slide=0 as shown in the 4 screenshots I posted here.
  2. Delete AptioMemoryFix-64 and copy OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 in its place. This can be downloaded from here. The link is under "The Solution" bullet #3.

Built in Audio: Haven’t tested, not using
This is easy to fix with the debug version of AppleALC 1.3.4 as mentioned in Post #1. Just have to copy that kext to kexts/Other.

External GPU: Partially working - only works via DVI. HDMI not working.
  • Need to research this a bit. Haven't done any tweaking.
I didn't have an issue with the MSI RX 580 and HDMI so this problem could be specific to the Sapphire card.

Internal GPU
: Haven’t tested, not using.
You disabled this is BIOS because the system would crash with a "Couldn't allocate runtime area" message. If you follow bullet 1 above, you should be able to turn iGPU back on without a problem. If you do, it will enable Quick Look, Preview, HEVC, H.264, etc.

Thunderbolt 3: System information says "No drivers are loaded".
  • Placed SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml (renamed SSDT.aml) in EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched. Upon reboot, computer hung on "Too many corpses being created" error. Screenshot below. Easy restore from carbon copy cloner backup so I'm back up and running on the main drive. Maybe it's because I'm using a Vanilla build instead of Unibeast?
  • Do I need to boot into windows and install the TB3 driver?
No need to boot into Windows. I would suggest trying the above fixes first and coming back to this afterwards.

As mentioned in Post #116, the following kexts were installed in /Library/Extensions using Kext Beast and Kext Utility:
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
Putting them in the Clover kexts/Other folder may be okay in the short term.

Two steps needed:
  1. Use Clover (not Clover Configurator) to install EmuVariableUefi-64, check-on Install RC scripts in target volume and enable slide=0 as shown in the 4 screenshots I posted here.
  2. Delete AptioMemoryFix-64 and copy OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 in its place. This can be downloaded from here. The link is under "The Solution" bullet #3.
This fixed the shutdown issue! Thanks!

This is easy to fix with the debug version of AppleALC 1.3.4 as mentioned in Post #1. Just have to copy that kext to kexts/Other.

Went ahead and placed the Kext. Can confirm that built in audio is working now.

You disabled this is BIOS because the system would crash with a "Couldn't allocate runtime area" message. If you follow bullet 1 above, you should be able to turn iGPU back on without a problem. If you do, it will enable Quick Look, Preview, HEVC, H.264, etc.

Boot hangs (attached screenshot) after Re-enabled iGPU in BIOS. Not a big deal as quick look, and preview work fine for me and I'll hopefully continue to use the RX580 once I figure out the HDMI issue.

As mentioned in Post #116, the following kexts were installed in /Library/Extensions using Kext Beast and Kext Utility:
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
Putting them in the Clover kexts/Other folder may be okay in the short term.

I have these installed in my kext/Other folder as well.

Now... the thunderbolt issue is a mystery.

Attachments

• BIOS IGPU Enabled Hang.jpg
    BIOS IGPU Enabled Hang.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 86
Now... the thunderbolt issue is a mystery.
Two comments:
  • First is to use MaciASL to open the Thunderbolt 3 SSDT. In MaciASL, first open its Preferences... dialog and choose ACPI 6.1. Ensure that the SSDT looks okay.
  • If it looks okay, give it another try...

Two comments:
  • First is to use MaciASL to open the Thunderbolt 3 SSDT. In MaciASL, first open its Preferences... dialog and choose ACPI 6.1. Ensure that the SSDT looks okay.
  • If it looks okay, give it another try...

I've downloaded MaciASL. ACPI 6.1 was already selected. Opened the file. Now I'm not sure what I'm looking for. This is uncharted territory for me..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.31.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.31.28 PM.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.31.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.31.42 PM.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 93
I was wondering if the file had been corrupted, but it's okay.

Have you tried putting it back into the ACPI/patched folder and rebooting?

Remember that we also have to copy the SSDT-DTPG.aml file into ACPI/patched folder. Both must be installed.

I was wondering if the file had been corrupted, but it's okay.

Have you tried putting it back into the ACPI/patched folder and rebooting?
Will do that now. Dumb question – is it necessary to rename the file or can I just drop it in that folder as is? Also, is there a way to revert the patch instead of restoring from my from my carbon copy backup? When I tried the file the first time and it gave me the "corpse" error on boot, I tried removing the file from the ACPI/patched but the disk continued not to boot.. Which led me to restoring from my backup.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back