Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to take the plunge and I'm running into some issues with the Mojave install. I created both a Unibeast and Vanilla Clover USB stick because I wanted to try both methods. I was able to boot to both USB drives but unsuccessfully installed Mojave via both methods. However, now when trying to boot the external USB to try again, it hangs on this error:

Error allocating 0x11c45 pages at 0x000000000f302000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

This is happening with both my Unibeast USB stick and my Vanilla Clover USB stick. I'm on BIOS F4 and used the same exact BIOS settings that you have on page 1, @CaseySJ .

I've tried taking out RAM, swapped out M.2 for a Samsung SSD 850 Pro, resetting CMOS.. nothing seemed to help.

Fyi, I'm running a slightly different build which is as follows:
  • Intel - i9-9900k
  • Gigabyte - Z390 Designare F4 BIOS
  • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply.
Let me know if anyone has any suggestions!

So I decided to take the plunge and I'm running into some issues with the Mojave install. I created both a Unibeast and Vanilla Clover USB stick because I wanted to try both methods. I was able to boot to both USB drives but unsuccessfully installed Mojave via both methods. However, now when trying to boot the external USB to try again, it hangs on this error:

Error allocating 0x11c45 pages at 0x000000000f302000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

This is happening with both my Unibeast USB stick and my Vanilla Clover USB stick. I'm on BIOS F4 and used the same exact BIOS settings that you have on page 1, @CaseySJ .

I've tried taking out RAM, trying a new SSD, resetting CMOS.. nothing seemed to help.

Fyi, I'm running a slightly different build which is as follows:
  • Intel - i9-9900k
  • Gigabyte - Z390 Designare F4 BIOS
  • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply.
Let me know if anyone has any suggestions!
Please try this:
  • Flash the F4 BIOS once again (to clear the memory map again) and use the right-side flash option that performs the full BIOS update.
  • After system restarts, enter BIOS setup, Load Optimized Defaults, configure your BIOS values again.
  • Keep the IGPU DVMT Pre-Alloc settings in their default values.
  • For the USB install disk, I would strongly avoid EmuVariableUEFI-64 driver or the slide=0 checkbox. Instead, I just use AptioMemoryFix64 and the other standard drivers installed by UniBeast.
If this fails, I can ZIP my USB Installer EFI folder and upload it here for you to try (when I get home this evening)...

Please try this:
  • Flash the F4 BIOS once again (to clear the memory map again) and use the right-side flash option that performs the full BIOS update.
  • After system restarts, enter BIOS setup, Load Optimized Defaults, configure your BIOS values again.
  • Keep the IGPU DVMT Pre-Alloc settings in their default values.
  • For the USB install disk, I would strongly avoid EmuVariableUEFI-64 driver or the slide=0 checkbox. Instead, I just use AptioMemoryFix64 and the other standard drivers installed by UniBeast.
If this fails, I can ZIP my USB Installer EFI folder and upload it here for you to try (when I get home this evening)...

I just re-flashed BIOS, made sure EmuVariableUEFI-64 wasn't in the folder, and I still get the same error. Would love to try your EFI folder. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, please remove the RX580 or disconnect the 8-pin power cable. Also ensure all other PCIe slots are empty. The error you see may be due to fragmented memory mapping, which can happen with higher probability if PCIe cards are installed. I installed Mojave without anything in PCIe slots.

You may need to flash BIOS one more time after removing RX580.

Will be home soon and will upload EFI folder.

See also:
https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

Last edited:
When you say you “unsuccessfully installed” MacOS usicing both methods, what exactly happened along the way?

Also, when you boot off the USB disk (F12 to choose boot disk) then Clover presents you will several disk icons to choose from. Are you selecting the Install MacOS volume from the USB disk? Just trying to cover the bases...

EFI folder from my USB Install disk uploaded. I would suggest backing up your current USB EFI folder to another disk, deleting it completely, then unzipping this one in its place. All PCIe slots were unoccupied during my initial installation. iGPU was enabled. If you run into "Couldn't allocate runtime area" error message, try replacing the AptioMemoryFixUEFI-64 driver with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 driver.

Edit: Uploaded the final EFI folder from my target Mojave disk. Please note that 3 fields begin with "REPLACE_" -- one is in RtVariables and two are in SMBIOS section. These are the SerialNumber and BoardSerialNumber fields. Generate new numbers in SMBIOS and copy the BoardSerialNumber to the RtVariables section. Also note that I've installed the following kexts directly in /Library/Extensions (/L/E) of the Mojave disk (using KextBeast to install, and Kext Utility to fix file permissions and rebuild caches):
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext

Attachments

• CaseySJ-USB-Installer-EFI-Folder.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 171
  • FINAL-CONFIG-RENAME-TO-EFI.zip
    27 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Yes, please remove the RX580 or disconnect the 8-pin power cable. Also ensure all other PCIe slots are empty. The error you see may be due to fragmented memory mapping, which can happen with higher probability if PCIe cards are installed. I installed Mojave without anything in PCIe slots.

You may need to flash BIOS one more time after removing RX580.

Will be home soon and will upload EFI folder.

See also:
https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

OK! Got it all installed via my Vanilla clover installer. What let me get past the error message was disabling the internal graphics in BIOS.
  • Internal Graphics --> Disabled
Havent tried anything on the build but I did run Geekbench. Also noticed that my processor is labeled as "Unknown". Screenshots attached. Now the tinkering begins...

Attachments

• IMAGE 2018-12-10 17:50:51.png
    IMAGE 2018-12-10 17:50:51.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAGE 2018-12-10 17:53:57.jpg
    IMAGE 2018-12-10 17:53:57.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
OK! Got it all installed via my Vanilla clover installer. What let me get past the error message was disabling the internal graphics in BIOS.
  • Internal Graphics --> Disabled
Havent tried anything on the build but ran Geekbench. Also noticed that my processor is labeled as "Unknown". Screenshots attached. Now the tinkering begins...
Great! A word of note: by disabling Internal Graphics you also disable the DVMT-Pre-Alloc, which has an effect on boot time memory mapping. So if you decide to enable iGPU in the future, you might run into some issues. iGPU is useful because it easily enables Quick Look, Preview, HEVC, and H.264.

My CPU is also labeled "Unknown" and I'm okay with that. One could spoof the 9th Gen CPU ID to Kaby Lake...

Last edited:
A Few Hours Later: Multiple reboots are not reliable. This evening I plan to try: (a) OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, (b) boot flag -f UseKernelCache=No.
Boot flag -f UseKernelCache=No did not help, but OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 (slide=0 flag still enabled) seems to have fixed the "Couldn't allocate runtime area" error! I have performed both Reboot and Shutdown/Start without error, so I'm going to recommend using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 instead of AptioMemoryFix-64 for this motherboard.

Last edited:
I believe this concludes the installation of MacOS Mojave on the Designare Z390 with 9th Gen i7-9700K processor. Some tweaks will continue as new versions of Thunderbolt SSDT are released and various kexts and drivers are updated.

But as of now, every component of the system is up and running.

This has been much more enjoyable than I expected. If it were not for the challenges at nearly every step, I would not have found the endeavor as satisfying. When something is stupidly easy, there's no real satisfaction in it. When something is stupidly hard, there's just too much frustration. But when something is just challenging enough, it makes the journey exciting.

So to everyone that is still struggling with their builds: Search for answers on this forum and elsewhere, keep everything straight in your mind, do not rush, read hundreds of forum posts if needed (bring a cup of coffee and start reading), take notes on paper, if you find 10 different solutions for your problem write them all down and try them one by one.

If you're in a rush, go to the Apple Store and buy a real Macintosh in 10 minutes. But if you have the time and the initiative to learn, you'll find this experience a lot more satisfying than a trip to the store!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back