Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
:)After one-day trials I succeeded installing Mavericks 10.9.0 on GA-Z87X-UD5 TH. Had problems before because I did not follow exactly the procedure.
I prepared UniBeast USB installation drive some months ago, but did not try it because didn't want to touch my Lion installation, and waited for a new hardware to test, which I assembled for my sister.
The system is composed of:
- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
- Intel i7-4770K
- On Board Intel HD Graphics 4600[/B] 1024 GByte (maybe will add a second VGA adapter later)
- 2x8 GByte Kingston 2133 MHz
- 2x 240 GByte Kingston HyperX SSD (one with windows 8.1)
- 2 TByte WD HDD​
I had no problems in booting UniBeast USB installer and reached directly the Apple Mavericks Installer.
Upon installation completion (successfully) I restarted the system, always using UniBeast boot USB, and made the choice (Chimera loader) to start the newly installed Mavericks, without even touch the keyboard (USB, naturally) or mouse. I went straight to Mavericks Desktop, after having made the requested OS initialization choices.
Once here, I knew I had to use MultiBeast to make the SSD bootable and install the good kexts for my devices, but had no experience in Chimera and MultiBeast (I used many OS-X installation methods from Tiger 10.4 up to Lion 10.8.2), and made many erratic tentatives, and could never boot from the SSD. This circumstances led me to re-install, each time, for having a good fresh installation to play with, missing the easiest thing: the choice of DSDT free in the Quick Start section of MultBeast. Once I did this, I could boot easily directly, with no flags or other modifiers.

What works natively:

- HD Video in full Resolution, actually 1920x1200x32[/B] (will try 2600x1400x32 shortly)​
SysInfo.jpg

What works after using MultiBeast Drivers:

- Ethernet LAN using MultiBeast -->Drivers-->Network-->Intel - hnak's [/B] AppleIntelIE1000e ...)
- Audio (using MultiBeast -->Drivers-->Audio-->ALC898)

What does NOT work:
Thunderbolt: I did not tested it yet, because do not have any thunderbolt device. I will have an Asus Monitor with thunderbolt displayport in some days; anyhow, OS-X System Information show NO Thunderbolt Device. I would appreciate very much if someone could help me before I begin trying using it.
Missing Thunderbolt Dev.jpg

I just picked up the non thunderbolt version of this motherboard.

So you didn't have to do any pmpatch or anything like that? Cool!

I just wish firewire brackets came with it, but I do know that my PCI firewire card works.

My video is a 550ti should I install with the intel gnu first then add the nvidia card?

Hi,
and you don't have any freezes?
cause few people had some little issues beyond 16gb like 32gb ram and profile 1. they had to keep (by default) 1333mhz or change some voltage value in the bios.
Have you heard of that?

What does NOT work: Thunderbolt:

@giosic
I'm about to purchase similar hardware: i7 4770K, GA-Z87X-UD5-TH, MSI GTX 770 4GB
Does your thunderbolt work? (Apparently If you boot in Windows it should)

After one-day trials I succeeded installing Mavericks 10.9.0
If I just follow this guide, it should work right?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

If not can you direct me to the exact right tutorial so a 'noob' like me can do it?

this week i've built a hack with the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
People have reported thunderbolt working (after a windows installation) but not being recognized as such...
i can confirm this,
as u can see in the included screenshot, the thunderbolt-display IS recognized as being 'thé thunderbolt-display', but not as being a thunderbolt device.
Another thing, with the TBD hooked up, my hack literally boots at least 3 times slower than without it, but it does 'cold' boot with it (so i mean not booting windows first)
Schermafbeelding 2014-02-05 om 04.51.43.jpg

Hey guys,

I have the same motherboard and everything works fine except for the ethernet port.

Sometimes I am not able to get an IP Address from my router and when I transfer large files to my NAS, my computer freeze.

I also installed Windows 7 and when I use it everything works great. So it's not my net problem.

I read about similar problems on other motherboards too.
Did you have such issues? Did you find a solution?

Can you suggest me a network card that is OS X compatible?

Did you use the AppleIntelIE1000e.ext from MultiBeast for Mavericks 6.5?

Thank you for your reply :)

Which version do you suggest?

I tested these so far:

• AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14
  • AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d

I am willing to test them again and test others too if that's your suggestion. I am new to this world so I don't know if I have to keep installing one of these and try again.

Do I have to delete somehow the already installed drives?

P.S.: I am using Multibeast 6.5 Mavericks Edition.
P.S.(2): I am willing to buy a network card if the drivers doesn't work, have you ever had some experience with those?

...Which version do you suggest? I tested these so far:
  • AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14
  • AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d

Do I have to delete somehow the already installed drives?

P.S.: I am using MultiBeast 6.5 Mavericks Edition.
P.S.(2): I am willing to buy a network card if the drivers doesn't work, have you ever had some experience with those?
Use the latest driver in MultiBeast v6.5. Just select the AppleIntelE1000e v3.1, and it will overwrite the current version you have installed.

BTW, you shouldn't have to use an auxiliary network card. As the AppleIntelE1000e driver has been tested to work on the Z87X-UD5 TH with the MulitBeast in Mavericks 10.9.5.

Use the latest driver in MultiBeast v6.5. Just select the AppleIntelE1000e v3.1, and it will overwrite the current version you have installed.

BTW, you shouldn't have to use an auxiliary network card. As the AppleIntelE1000e driver has been tested to work on the Z87X-UD5 TH with the MulitBeast in Mavericks 10.9.5.

Hey Stork,

I tested the new drivers and the situation is quite improved!

I copied three files to my NAS before failing with the forth:

1. A 46GB Final Cut Pro X project (basically an archive that collects a lot of smaller files)
  2. A 13 GB software (Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2)
  3. A DMG Image file (a backup from a partition): 11,6GB
  4. Another DMG file, my SSD, 23GB

With previous drivers I wasn't able to upload to my NAS the 11,6GB DMG file, so the new drivers are better.

I tested the 23GB DMG with Windows 7 and the upload worked without any issue.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that the first two files are actually collections of smaller files, so the computer is sending a lot of files, while the DMG partitions are simply an unique and bigger files, so the network card has to work harder to upload all the data.

Do I have to wait for better drivers? Do I have to search for other solutions?

Thank you so much for your effort, I really appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back