Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks - Mojave on GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mickelsn hey there, Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it.

[snip]

Once again thank you so much @mickelsn, It's really nice of you to share. God bless.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you get up and running right away. Just one thought -- if this is for a paying gig, you might want to bite the bullet and get a new M1 Mac mini or something. While I recognize that's a cost, it might be a better one to get up and running quickly with your existing hardware set (keyboard, monitor, whatever else you use) and would help avoid a near-term future outlay on a Hackintosh that's lifespan is likely more limited than the next five years in terms of OS updates, etc. And the M1 mini might have decent resale value in a year or two if you end up investing in a more-capable build down the line. Just a contrary thought -- since your time trying to troubleshoot is worth money as well! I've certainly built my last Hackintosh...I just wanted to get another 2-3 years on one before I get a new "real" Mac a couple years into the Apple Silicon transition...

An older thread but I wanted to add my thanks. I have been hackintoshing with this board since late 2012/early 2013. Last summer I decided I wanted to try Mojave and get messages Facetime and a few other things working. Knowing that Nvidia was on the way out, I bought a Radeon RX 580. I decided to do a fresh install on a new ssd and after some issues making the bootable USB, the install went forward and I had a nearly 100% working system.

What was missing? Wifi, stable access to all USB ports and most importantly - 3D acceleration. Without touching multibeast, I puttered along for a year. I didn't really need wifi, the USB issue was aggravating at times but typically required a quick unplug/replug to fix. Out of initial trepidation which eventually morphed to laziness and finally complacency, I lived without a fully functioning video card. Last night I bit the bullet and decided to enjoy a system that was responsive (instead of suffering through Finder stalling when scrolling for instance). I came across this guide, read it twice and dove right in. First reboot lead to the efi loading Linux from the other ssd. Did I still need the USB key to get Clover running? I feared a night or 7 of trouble shooting (the initial catalyst for trepidation a year ago). I rebooted and this time hit the bios and forced to boot from the Mojave drive - SUCCESS!

Many thanks for the weite-up. Yes this is an old board but as you and others have written, when properly configured it is rock solid.

Many thanks for the weite-up. Yes this is an old board but as you and others have written, when properly configured it is rock solid.
Hey awesome- glad this is still helping people! I just read and follow others’ instructions myself - I’m not a coder - so this was a way I could give back and help some others.

Sooner or later I might try to put Opencore on this machine…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back