Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks - Mojave on GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey OP I know this is late but I had been stuck on an older version of Mojave and had not been able to get it updated-- it would always crap out in the middle of the boot where the update installs, but I was still able to use the installation aside from that. I took all the kexts you had installed and the multibeast information tonight and finally my system in updated for the first time in months! Thanks again for the information you posted.

... and also I will be anxiously watching this thread when Catalina is released.

... and also I will be anxiously watching this thread when Catalina is released.

I'm mostly likely NOT going to be on the bleeding edge of the "upgrade to Catalina" crowd, but I definitely plan on pulling the trigger. I'm most likely to do a clean install on a separate SSD given the scope of the changes.

Started having disk freezes often with this configuration, some combination of new mojave updates and my SSDs and the chipset on this boards. Used the older kext from first page of this in /Library/Extensions fixed it, though I think the more proper fix is from the link 'new ICH patch by vit9696' mentioned there, I haven't tried that yet.

@blurble I’m on the latest version of High Sierra with no issues identified to date (I have one SSD and multiple HDDs attaches to the motherboard SATA ports, as well as two optical drives). I’m away from my machine so I can’t check kexts...please keep us posted. Hopefully I’ll be able to start looking at a Catalina upgrade soon...

Started having disk freezes often with this configuration, some combination of new mojave updates and my SSDs and the chipset on this boards. Used the older kext from first page of this in /Library/Extensions fixed it, though I think the more proper fix is from the link 'new ICH patch by vit9696' mentioned there, I haven't tried that yet.

*EDIT* . the freezes came back, running memtest86 showed memory errors, so whatever's wrong is a physical configuration, not what I thought here

@mickelsn . It's been two days now using the older kext and I haven't had the disk access related lockups start that every time led to hitting the reset button. Since the last update I'd gone no more than a couple hours so I'm pretty confident it's fixed. I'll have time to try the clover patching this weekend and let you know, that sounds better than using an old kext.

btw, i'm on mojave latest updates.

Last edited:
Hey all - just an update to this thread to share two things. First, I've upgraded my machine to Catalina via an in-place upgrade—I've posted a new thread on how I did that in the Catalina Guides section. Secondly, in the course of updating Clover and Kexts to be ready for the Catalina upgrade, I learned the NoVPAJpeg.kext being used to fix JPEG Preview/QuickLook bugs is deprecated in favor of WhateverGreen.kext functionality. Just add the two new bootargs to Clover as shown below in a Clover Configurator screenshot:
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 12.00.58 AM.png

More shortly!

Last edited:
Hey all - just an update to this thread to share two things. First, I've upgraded my machine to Catalina via an in-place upgrade—I've posted a new thread on how I did that in the Catalina Guides section. Secondly, in the course of updating Clover and Kexts to be ready for the Catalina upgrade, I learned the NoVPAJpeg.kext being used to fix JPEG Preview/QuickLook bugs is deprecated in favor of WhateverGreen.kext functionality. Just add the two new bootargs to Clover as shown below in a Clover Configurator screenshot:
View attachment 436330
More shortly!

actually, you don't need either NoVPAJpeg, nor WhateverGreen, your hardware is natively supported

@itwas With my particular setup, I run into the bug. Now mind you I haven’t done the specific activities to figure out what Intel DeviceID injection might avoid it or whatever...all I know is that without (before now) NoVPAJpeg and (now) WhateverGreen and the right bootargs, the bug shows up. With WG/bootargs, no bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back