Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks II - Upgrading My GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System to Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it turns out it doesn’t matter. I tried updating AppleIntelE1000e and it didn’t help, so I moved on to deleting it. Internet still works but I’m still having the same problem. My hackintosh is looking more and more like a regular PC everyday.

Sorry to hear about the continuing problem. About this point would be where I start doing a new install to a fresh SSD to see if that eliminates the issue.

One last update for the past little while for those of you still kicking around on this motherboard --

I switched over to opencore last week by first doing a test run on a USB and then yesterday copying over the full EFI and replacing Clover/removing some old kexts that multibeast/unibeast had installed on L/E and S/L/E (there's a full guide out there).

My machine is working the best it has in years-- seemingly no local networking issues-- was able to transfer large files over whereas it would die about 4 gb in any other time. Sleep is also working great for the first time in about 4 years, and I'm not having weird issues like not being able to boot with USB's plugged into the front of the computer. My headphone ports are also working for the first time in ages.

My only issue that I've seen so far is that DRM is broken for iTunes movies (which it was also broken under Clover as well for the past few years). Not a huge deal as I don't do a lot of media consumption like that while sitting at my desk. Also, opencore won't let me boot into Windows from its bootloader because Windows is mbr and not GPT. Not a huge deal, and I should be able to update that soon to GPT. I can also simply load into the BIOS and pick the windows drive as well. Clover was getting so messed up that it wouldn't even get me to the BIOS screen at times.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to @mickelsn for all the help over the past couple years trying to keep this machine afloat. It doesn't seem like it should need too many more changes because I believe Ivy Bridge lost support with Big Sur, so I'll be using this with opencore until I finally give in and get an apple silicon mac mini over the next few years. The machine still works great for now and can do light lifting type work no problem. I won't be video editing on it or using Logic Pro, but it's certainly serviceable for most home uses.

One last update for the past little while for those of you still kicking around on this motherboard --

I switched over to opencore last week by first doing a test run on a USB and then yesterday copying over the full EFI and replacing Clover/removing some old kexts that multibeast/unibeast had installed on L/E and S/L/E (there's a full guide out there).

My machine is working the best it has in years-- seemingly no local networking issues-- was able to transfer large files over whereas it would die about 4 gb in any other time. Sleep is also working great for the first time in about 4 years, and I'm not having weird issues like not being able to boot with USB's plugged into the front of the computer. My headphone ports are also working for the first time in ages.

My only issue that I've seen so far is that DRM is broken for iTunes movies (which it was also broken under Clover as well for the past few years). Not a huge deal as I don't do a lot of media consumption like that while sitting at my desk. Also, opencore won't let me boot into Windows from its bootloader because Windows is mbr and not GPT. Not a huge deal, and I should be able to update that soon to GPT. I can also simply load into the BIOS and pick the windows drive as well. Clover was getting so messed up that it wouldn't even get me to the BIOS screen at times.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to @mickelsn for all the help over the past couple years trying to keep this machine afloat. It doesn't seem like it should need too many more changes because I believe Ivy Bridge lost support with Big Sur, so I'll be using this with opencore until I finally give in and get an apple silicon mac mini over the next few years. The machine still works great for now and can do light lifting type work no problem. I won't be video editing on it or using Logic Pro, but it's certainly serviceable for most home uses.
Way to go! I've been thinking about trying to take my old machine over to OpenCore as well, but just haven't had the time. Curious to know if you did full USB port-mapping, etc., with this board or if you were able to go with some kind of vanilla arrangement. Any chance you would be willing to share your OpenCore-based EFI folder (removing all serials, etc., of course!)? And you may not want to give up on Big Sur -- @Robbish got an older related board running with Big Sur and IvyBridge processors...

All that said...yes, I believe an M1 Mac is in my future in the next couple years as well...

Way to go! I've been thinking about trying to take my old machine over to OpenCore as well, but just haven't had the time. Curious to know if you did full USB port-mapping, etc., with this board or if you were able to go with some kind of vanilla arrangement. Any chance you would be willing to share your OpenCore-based EFI folder (removing all serials, etc., of course!)? And you may not want to give up on Big Sur -- @Robbish got an older related board running with Big Sur and IvyBridge processors...

All that said...yes, I believe an M1 Mac is in my future in the next couple years as well...
I'll absolutely post the config in the next day or two. I haven't had to do anything for USB mapping so far-- it just seems to work better than it ever did on clover now. Machine is no longer not booting with drives plugged into the front and weird issues like that. Audio worked straight away for the headphone jack for the first time in years too.

As promised, my config. I'm still using the setup on my username, so there are no drivers running the 760 and I don't think the Hires opencore boot screen is working correctly.

Also attaching an image of the EFI folder. OpenCanopy is needed for the UI for opencore, as are everything in the resources folder-- but that's part of the opencore download so I didn't bother expanding those to show them.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 12.11.58 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    25.9 KB · Views: 92
As promised, my config. I'm still using the setup on my username, so there are no drivers running the 760 and I don't think the Hires opencore boot screen is working correctly.

Also attaching an image of the EFI folder. OpenCanopy is needed for the UI for opencore, as are everything in the resources folder-- but that's part of the opencore download so I didn't bother expanding those to show them.

Thanks much! I might try giving this a shot this weekend...

Regarding DRM I'm thinking this is going to come down to correctly mapping iGPU. Well that's my thoughts at the moment.

When I have some spare time that's my next effort.

I tried a couple different configs with this-- having the IGPU be set in both modes and no luck.

Also today I had an error saying the USB device was drawing too much power-- that might be something I have to look into as well, and everything seems back to normal as I'm sitting here. I used to have issues with USB randomly disconnecting a while ago but this doens't even seem as bad as that.

If any of you guys get the USB ports updated, let me know. I’m actually wondering if mine are running below speed now because of how long my time machine has been taking on some backups. I’ll be looking into that this week.

EDIT: OK usb port mapping seems like a pain, but I may have figured out a weird issue that has plagued my computer for years and may have been why sleeping was broken. I have a USB 3.0 hub plugged in for my external hard drives. Lately it's been needing to be unplugged and replugged to make all my disks show up at times. I noticed last night that my sleeping was working fine until I did the re-plug. Perhaps this terrible hub has broken my sleep for years? I have no idea. I think I have few enough discs now to not use it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back