Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks II - Upgrading My GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System to Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are everyone's systems holding up?

I've started to use mine less and less due to a bug that seems to affect the networking. I recently set up an openmediavault but am having trouble with my system being unable to connect to the internet (or other comuters on the network) and locking up the entire network. It's incredibly frustrating at at this point I'm now eying up a mac mini whenever the new ones will arrive.

How are everyone's systems holding up?

I've started to use mine less and less due to a bug that seems to affect the networking. I recently set up an openmediavault but am having trouble with my system being unable to connect to the internet (or other comuters on the network) and locking up the entire network. It's incredibly frustrating at at this point I'm now eying up a mac mini whenever the new ones will arrive.

I've largely moved on from this system since I built a new Z490-based setup, but everything was rock solid in the networking arena. I never used openmediavault, however...have you tried uninstalling that to see if perhaps it was the culprit? Every now and then years ago I did experience some WiFi weirdness where it seemed like the card in my system would "flood" the home WiFi and block other devices -- had to turn the card off to resolve. But that hadn't happened for a number of years...never under Catalina.

Good luck in your troubleshooting!

I've largely moved on from this system since I built a new Z490-based setup, but everything was rock solid in the networking arena. I never used openmediavault, however...have you tried uninstalling that to see if perhaps it was the culprit? Every now and then years ago I did experience some WiFi weirdness where it seemed like the card in my system would "flood" the home WiFi and block other devices -- had to turn the card off to resolve. But that hadn't happened for a number of years...never under Catalina.

Good luck in your troubleshooting!
Maybe that's what it is-- I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 in my system because that was what was recommended at the time, but I don't actually use it anymore because I have ethernet where my machine is, as as far as I've known it stopped working a couple OS updates back. Maybe I'll crack open my system and pull it out and see if that has anything to do with it. But what you're talking about-- flooding the network-- is exactly what happened most recently so I've left the machine on Windows boot as of late.

Openmediavault isn't a program on the mac, it's something you can put on an old PC to act as a home server, so it shouldn't be affecting hackintosh stuff-- when my hackintosh is on my windows boot I haven't had any issues with it and the network.

Maybe that's what it is-- I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 in my system because that was what was recommended at the time, but I don't actually use it anymore because I have ethernet where my machine is, as as far as I've known it stopped working a couple OS updates back. Maybe I'll crack open my system and pull it out and see if that has anything to do with it. But what you're talking about-- flooding the network-- is exactly what happened most recently so I've left the machine on Windows boot as of late.

Openmediavault isn't a program on the mac, it's something you can put on an old PC to act as a home server, so it shouldn't be affecting hackintosh stuff-- when my hackintosh is on my windows boot I haven't had any issues with it and the network.

Any luck on removing the card to solve the problem?

Any luck on removing the card to solve the problem?
No, unfortunately not. I was really excited because I thought we had cracked the code, but still, the network dies relatively quickly. In this case I have a media server I set up and am trying to copy some files to it, and at some point it just gets stuck every time, and then web browsers no longer work either. This alone is pretty much the reason why I've moved on to just using the windows install that has reliable networking and am going to buy a mac mini when they have a few more ports and 10 gig networking.

No, unfortunately not. I was really excited because I thought we had cracked the code, but still, the network dies relatively quickly. In this case I have a media server I set up and am trying to copy some files to it, and at some point it just gets stuck every time, and then web browsers no longer work either. This alone is pretty much the reason why I've moved on to just using the windows install that has reliable networking and am going to buy a mac mini when they have a few more ports and 10 gig networking.

Sorry to hear it. You may want to try copying the same fileset to a different server to confirm it's the Mac creating the issue vice something on the openmediaserver box that gets your Mac's network flummoxed. (I don't often get to use that word... :) )

You may also want to confirm you're using the latest versions of all networking kexts and whatnot...and if the latest gives you fits, maybe roll back a version or two to see if there might have been a regression introduced. I do remember that at one point on my journey with this box, there was an updated version of an Ethernet kext that caused havoc for a while on this particular board...

Cheers...

Sorry to hear it. You may want to try copying the same fileset to a different server to confirm it's the Mac creating the issue vice something on the openmediaserver box that gets your Mac's network flummoxed. (I don't often get to use that word... :) )

You may also want to confirm you're using the latest versions of all networking kexts and whatnot...and if the latest gives you fits, maybe roll back a version or two to see if there might have been a regression introduced. I do remember that at one point on my journey with this box, there was an updated version of an Ethernet kext that caused havoc for a while on this particular board...

Cheers...
I can say with certainty that this issue existed before I had openmediavault set up, but for some reason local networking seems to be what "depletes" the networking faster and makes the computer give up. I've had my computer on for a month or two in the past and not had to restart because of this issue, but if I go and transfer 5 gigs of files to the openmediavault, or before I had that another computer I was just trying to transfer directly with where it would occur too.

As far as the kext things, if you had any suggestions which ones specifically to update I'll give them a try, I really have nothing to lose with this machine at this point in terms of the mac install.

I can say with certainty that this issue existed before I had openmediavault set up, but for some reason local networking seems to be what "depletes" the networking faster and makes the computer give up. I've had my computer on for a month or two in the past and not had to restart because of this issue, but if I go and transfer 5 gigs of files to the openmediavault, or before I had that another computer I was just trying to transfer directly with where it would occur too.

As far as the kext things, if you had any suggestions which ones specifically to update I'll give them a try, I really have nothing to lose with this machine at this point in terms of the mac install.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Ethernet-related kexts that had the problems way back when for a little bit...IntelMausi or something along those lines.

Well I finally got into looking into my kexts. Found IntelMausi and deleted it but it looks like i'm still hitting some kind of lock up point on the network trying to transfer a terabyte of files from time machine to a local server. do any of these kexts look suspect to you? or was it simply not enough to delete intelmausi?

my guess is maybe it’s the AppleE1000e.kext now. This doesn’t seem to be needed based on your kexts @mickelsn and I found a thread from 4 years ago about people describing this exact problem— all of them using mausi or this particular kext.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 1.44.35 AM.png

Last edited:
Well it turns out it doesn’t matter. I tried updating AppleIntelE1000e and it didn’t help, so I moved on to deleting it. Internet still works but I’m still having the same problem. My hackintosh is looking more and more like a regular PC everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back