Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks II - Upgrading My GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System to Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about updating my system defintion from 13,2 to 14,2. Do any of you guys have experience doing this? I don't want it to lock me out of iCloud or anything.
Stay on 13,2. I recently updated my machine (I'll make a longer post later about that) and I found that 13,2 enabled: (1.) natively Hardware Acceleration (intel gpu) -- great for video editing and encoding h264, AND (2) also natively allowed use of quick look/jpeg preview in Finder.

Using 14,2 previously I got #1 hardware encoding, but couldn't easily get #2.
You do need to in BIOS, make sure the IGPU is set to enabled and your Init Display First is set to PEG before all if this.

All the above is for a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.6.

Warning: When I changed from 14,2 back to 13,2 I lost my bluetooth connection off my internal wifi card (FENVI T919). I just used the USBinject all kexts and everything is working again. (and yes, I am working on USB port mapping).

If you really want to switch to 14,2 (I wouldn't)... First sign out of messages, sign out icloud in system preferences, sign out of the app store, sign out of itunes, and then finally open a browser and go to icloud.com. Look up your device and remove it there. Then sign out. Now change your system definition and reboot. Don't sign back in until you've confirmed everything works.

Stay on 13,2. I recently updated my machine (I'll make a longer post later about that) and I found that 13,2 enabled: (1.) natively Hardware Acceleration (intel gpu) -- great for video editing and encoding h264, AND (2) also natively allowed use of quick look/jpeg preview in Finder.

You do need to in BIOS, make sure the IGPU is set to enabled and your Init Display First is set to PEG before all if this.

Warning: When I changed from 14,2 back to 13,2 I lost my bluetooth connection off my internal wifi card (FENVI T919). I just used the USBinject all kexts and everything is working again. (and yes, I am working on USB port mapping).

If you really want to switch to 14,2 (I wouldn't)... First sign out of messages, sign out icloud in system preferences, sign out of the app store, sign out of itunes, and then finally open a browser and go to icloud.com. Look up your device and remove it there. Then sign out. Now change your system definition and reboot. Don't sign back in until you've confirmed everything works.

For what it's worth, I had never-before-seen Bluetooth problems when I went to Mojave with iMac 13,2...that's why I went to iMac 14,2 as MultiBeast wanted to do with my hardware. From everything I can see, I have Intel GPU acceleration just fine (including AirPlay desktop sharing, which never worked before). I fixed the QuickLook/JPEG preview bug with two boot arguments that control WhateverGreen's implementation of the fix.

Gotta love Hackintoshing...it's not exactly a deterministic process, is it? :)

well you're certainly making me reconsider it. I don't think I will change it now. Thank you for your input.

Would you guys have any idea why Hackintool says that my kexts aren’t the latest version? I downloaded them from their respective githubs and used hackintool to install them but no matter how many times I restart my machine hackintool still says otherwise. Also, the file a themselves say they were modified today. I’d like to make the jump to Catalina soon but I don’t want to botch it somehow.

Would you guys have any idea why Hackintool says that my kexts aren’t the latest version? I downloaded them from their respective githubs and used hackintool to install them but no matter how many times I restart my machine hackintool still says otherwise. Also, the file a themselves say they were modified today. I’d like to make the jump to Catalina soon but I don’t want to botch it somehow.

lastest version =/= it is stable version, (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

your hardware configuration is quite old, you don't have to update the kexts so often, the updates usually do not affect your configuration.

hacktool listed three types of kexts
Installed kext : the kexts currently installed on your system (e.g. AppleALC 1.4.5)
kext binary file on github : official released version (e.g. AppleALC 1.4.5)
lastest kext on github : most up to date in source codes but binary files are not available for download (e.g. the source codes are updated to AppleALC 1.4.6)

e.g. AppleALC 1.4.6 changelog (your system do not have these devices)
Code:
- Add missing pinconfig ALC235 layout-id 16
- Fixed speaker/headphone priority ALC700 layout-id 11
- 300 Series PCH HD Audio is native in 10.14+
- Added ALC215 layout-id 18 for HP 830 G6 by 965987400abc

Thanks @itwas for your information!

I was able to get my system up to Catalina this week. Everything continues to work great-- mainly just bumping this thread again to ask if anyone had any success getting their machine to sleep or if anyone has any experience getting clover to a higher resolution for a 4K monitor. The sleep thing seems like a crap shoot for many systems, but I haven't been able to have any luck, so I find myself leaving it logged into my windows disk more often just because I know it'll sleep properly.

As for the 4K clover boot screen, the most information I've found elsewhere is that you have to disable CSM and switch your OS to "other OS" but I haven't seen any way to do that in our BIOS and disabling CSM seems to outright kill the system until you refresh the CMOS. I found a 4K catalina theme and tried using that but that made things worse somehow-- the screen ended up even lower resolution than it does with my mojave theme! Obviously I've tried setting the resolution with Clover Configurator but that doesn't seem to do much to help. It's the only drawback of having a fancy new monitor currently.

Thanks @itwas for your information!

I was able to get my system up to Catalina this week. Everything continues to work great-- mainly just bumping this thread again to ask if anyone had any success getting their machine to sleep or if anyone has any experience getting clover to a higher resolution for a 4K monitor. The sleep thing seems like a crap shoot for many systems, but I haven't been able to have any luck, so I find myself leaving it logged into my windows disk more often just because I know it'll sleep properly.

As for the 4K clover boot screen, the most information I've found elsewhere is that you have to disable CSM and switch your OS to "other OS" but I haven't seen any way to do that in our BIOS and disabling CSM seems to outright kill the system until you refresh the CMOS. I found a 4K catalina theme and tried using that but that made things worse somehow-- the screen ended up even lower resolution than it does with my mojave theme! Obviously I've tried setting the resolution with Clover Configurator but that doesn't seem to do much to help. It's the only drawback of having a fancy new monitor currently.

make sure your GTX760 VBIOS is UEFI compatible

if your graphics card do not have GOP ROM, you can update the VBIOS using this tool

in the BIOS setup
CSM Support
:: Never - Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.
OS
:: change to "Windows 8" or "Windows 8 WHQL" (do not have the same effect, you can try)

about sleep/wake issue, maybe you can provide more information for troubleshooting

Thanks for this guide OP.
I had not played around with my hackintosh for a long time, but last night I decided to upgrade to Catalina without reading any guides, or installing any kexts. It upgraded and booted up without audio, or wifi.
I will definitely follow your guide to fix it later tonight. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back