Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks II - Upgrading My GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System to Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my iMac14,2 was working a day ago, sleep would work but the USB slots would loose connectivity. Bluetooth would also shut off and not come back on until a full restart. Now I have other problems -- Kernel 0x9e issue....

Never seen this amount of problems with other MacOS versions.

I know it’s a pain, but in the past when I had huge problems with a build, I found that wiping back to a bare drive and doing a fresh install was best. In this case, you might want to do a fresh Mojave install and then immediately update to Catalina since MultiBeast and UniBeast aren’t ready for Catalina yet. Once you’re confident the new build is stable and everything you need is working, then you can restore apps and files from a Time Machine backup.

Good luck!

Hello! Anybody updating this board to Catalina using the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB? Got it running with onboard video but getting black screen after installing this card.

NVM solved it with a totally fresh install. Needed to use onboard intel video until up and running, then installed lilu 1.4.0 and Whatever Green 1.3.5 via hackintool.

Last edited:
Thank you mickelsn, for your info on this. I have this same board, and wanted to upgrade some components on it.

My question is-- Do you think it would be easier to do Mojave and then Catalina or should I try to do a fresh "vanilla" install of Catalina?
I've been on a sierra build for awhile-- it was stable, so I kept it... :)

I'm also going to put in an RX 580 instead of my GTX 670, and an Fenvi TV-919 in hopes of handoff...

Again, thank you for keeping us updated on this...

Thank you mickelsn, for your info on this. I have this same board, and wanted to upgrade some components on it.

My question is-- Do you think it would be easier to do Mojave and then Catalina or should I try to do a fresh "vanilla" install of Catalina?
I've been on a sierra build for awhile-- it was stable, so I kept it... :)

I'm also going to put in an RX 580 instead of my GTX 670, and an Fenvi TV-919 in hopes of handoff...

Again, thank you for keeping us updated on this...

I haven't tried a clean install of Catalina myself yet because UniBeast/MultiBeast haven't yet been updated. As a result, if I had to wipe this machine clean and start over I'd probably start with a clean Mojave install, get all of that working, then upgrade Clover and kexts and then install Catalina.

I'd also do just one thing at a time -- get the OS installed and stable, THEN do the graphics card, THEN do the wireless card...less changes to try and troubleshoot if things go wrong!

Anybody having trouble with imessage. I am able to send two messages and then all other will stated "Not Delivered". you can reboot then it works again for two messages. Everything else with Catalina works fine.

Anybody having trouble with imessage. I am able to send two messages and then all other will stated "Not Delivered". you can reboot then it works again for two messages. Everything else with Catalina works fine.

Sounds like your Hack might have some challenges with iCloud authorization. I recommend following this guide to try and get things fixed: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

If you look at my original post, you'll see how I'm super careful with certain IDs in my clover.config file -- that's nearly 100% so that I don't screwup my iCloud connection. Merry Christmas and good luck!

Is your startup slower than it used to be? Mine hangs on the bios splash screen a little longer than it used to.
My boot got slower when some clover update turned debug flag on in config.plist, just figured this out today and now it's back to super-fast boot.

My boot got slower when some clover update turned debug flag on in config.plist, just figured this out today and now it's back to super-fast boot.

Sadly I think my machine is just getting old. On every boot it tells me a disc inserted is the wrong format but I can't figure out what it thinks it the wrong format-- maybe my windows partition? My system won't sleep, frequently it seems to just junk up from leaving it on too long even if nothing is open and will struggle with internet until I restart it (it's hard wired). But I will look into the debug flag and maybe that will help some things. Still afraid to update to catalina right now, it's functioning better than it did 6 months ago where I couldn't have any USB drives plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back