Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Network problems with High Sierra on GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back again. Sent the motherboard to the suppler, they tested it. Nothing found. They sent me 2133 memory which the Skylake 6-6700k CPU supports according to the specs, no difference. While the motherbaord was tested at the supplier, I swapped in the "old" ga-z170x-ud5 board, fitted the CPU, the RAM and the NVME module. No difference, still those weird problems of loading content from Internet and locking up.

Yesterday, as a last resort, I went to the shop and bought a brand new Kaby Lake i7-7700k processor, took the new ga-z270x-ultra Gaming , fitted my Kingston HyperX 2666 modules and the NVME module and BINGO!! Now everything works. The CPU is recognised by macOS High Sierra, no fake CPUID needed.

I even fitted my GV-R938G1-4GD and attached my 27" Led Cinema display. It all works and even better than before. I do not have the black boot screen anymore. My system boots on the LED Cinema display all the way into macOS High Sierra. And my second monitor is recognised as before.

So my system now consists of:

GA-Z270X-ULTRA GAMING
Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake
Kingston HyperX 2666 x 4 (= 32Gb)
Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe m.2 250Gb

What does not work (yet) is:

- Audio, but I use a Creative Soudblaster X-Fi HD which is natively supported
- iMessage, I did not change any of the parameters that I had in Clover but somehow I get an activation error :(

In clover I use the following kexts in folder "Other":

FakeSMC
IntelGraphicsFixup
Lilu
IntelMausiEthernet (recompiled on 10.13.3)
USBInjectAll
WhateverGreen

Cheers,
Erwin

Last edited:
I seem to have solved my lockup problems. Looking at Whatevergreen.kext was injecting I discovered differences with previous installs. It was injecting the "Baladi" framebuffer while I know from previous installs that I had "Lagotto" in Clover and two Kext patches to get HDMI and DP working on my Gigabyte GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD. Putting that back in seems to have done the trick. Oh, and I also put RadeonDeInit in and tool WhateverGreen.kext out. I left Lilu in.

Quick followup on the dekstop freezes. It seems that Chrome is the only browser that does not cause the desktop to freeze. Safari and Firefox are no good. Funny thing is that when my desktop freezes, the mouse is still working and so is the energy saver, making the screen sleep at the timeout set. I am also able to remote ssh into the hack but that is about it. A reboot from the command line does nothing. Desktop just stays as it is, and the machine is not rebooting. Poking around on Internet I see a lot of "the same" complaints on real Mac's. Even my brand new MacBook Pro 13" which I bought this year shows "freezes" now and then. All my machines run the 10.13.3 supplemental update. I hope 10.13.4 will fix these issues.

Back again. Sent the motherboard to the suppler, they tested it. Nothing found. They sent me 2133 memory which the Skylake 6-6700k CPU supports according to the specs, no difference. While the motherbaord was tested at the supplier, I swapped in the "old" ga-z170x-ud5 board, fitted the CPU, the RAM and the NVME module. No difference, still those weird problems of loading content from Internet and locking up.

Yesterday, as a last resort, I went to the shop and bought a brand new Kaby Lake i7-7700k processor, took the new ga-z270x-ultra Gaming , fitted my Kingston HyperX 2666 modules and the NVME module and BINGO!! Now everything works. The CPU is recognised by macOS High Sierra, no fake CPUID needed.

I even fitted my GV-R938G1-4GD and attached my 27" Led Cinema display. It all works and even better than before. I do not have the black boot screen anymore. My system boots on the LED Cinema display all the way into macOS High Sierra. And my second monitor is recognised as before.

So my system now consists of:

GA-Z270X-ULTRA GAMING
Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake
Kingston HyperX 2666 x 4 (= 32Gb)
Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe m.2 250Gb

What does not work (yet) is:

- Audio, but I use a Creative Soudblaster X-Fi HD which is natively supported
- iMessage, I did not change any of the parameters that I had in Clover but somehow I get an activation error :(

In clover I use the following kexts in folder "Other":

FakeSMC
IntelGraphicsFixup
Lilu
IntelMausiEthernet (recompiled on 10.13.3)
USBInjectAll
WhateverGreen

Cheers,
Erwin
My current system is identical to what you are (or were) using. Interestingly enough, when I did a fresh install ethernet worked perfectly. At least I thought it did. It was the first thing I confirmed when I got into the system. But after the first restart I did, it didn't work.

I'm going to try and copy the kexts you have but other tan that, just from reading your fix, you replaced the CPU and the system just worked. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back