Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS]multiboot macOS Sierra & Win7 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi | i7-4790 | 16GB RAM | Radeon 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the issue is with one of the kexts, which I believe is causing the issue, go to your Extensions folder and cut its entire content to a folder on your Desktop, leaving the Extensions folder empty from any kexts - for better troubleshooting of the issue whether one of the kexts is causing the problem. At this point you should try to install the most essential kexts again, one at a time, and then to reboot and see if the problem is solved. For me the essential drivers are in this order:

1. The one that makes your Hackintosh boot without the rescue thumb drive (the FakeSMC.kext).
2. Display kext.
3. Network kext
4. Sound kext.

The priority order is from the most essential kext required to the least one.

However, I'd suggest to first reboot the system when there are no kexts in the Extensions folder at all. Just to see if upon an empty Extensions folder the system boots without the color problem. (UPDATE: boot with your rescue thumb drive that you used for installation, as you won't be able to boot without the required FakeSMC.kext for booting without the rescue thumb drive after you removed it. Then pick the partition you installed the OS on to boot from). Once booted to Desktop proceed with the installation of one kext at a time from MultiBeast with the priority order above. After each kext installation, disconnect the rescue thumb drive and check if the system boots correctly. If not, do the steps again until you get to the Desktop, remove the recent installed kext, install another kext and try to reboot again without the rescue thumb drive.

As for the display adapter model that appears as "ATI Radeon HD 5000" - that's completely fine as it just indicates that series. 5770 is in this series so you're good to go. See my Mini-Hackintosh's Overview after I run the combo update to update to 10.11.5.
full

Last edited:
Uploaded sample screen shot... orange <-->blue.

Will give it a try and post results, thanks!

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 75
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 83
oops... Won't boot up with empty Extensions folder, stuck on the Black with silver apple icon. I'm going to reinstall and backup the kext folder before applying 10.12.16 combo update. Will post results. Thanks!

However, I'd suggest to first reboot the system when there are no kexts in the Extensions folder at all. Just to see if upon an empty Extensions folder the system boots without the color problem. From there proceed with the installation of one kext at a time with the priority order above.

Last edited:
Terribly sorry, I forgot to mention(!), after removing all the kexts you'll need to boot with the Rescue-Thumb-Drive that you used for installation and then select the partition you installed the OS on. That is since you also removed the FakeSMC.kext that is responsible for booting the system without the help of the rescue thumb drive. Then check if all's good with the colors at the Desktop and install kexts one at a time. Start with the graphic kexts and go on.

I updated the previous post. Please re-read it for the exact steps.

Last edited:
After I install combo update 10.12.16 I noticed that these two files appeared in the /System/Library/Extensions/
AMDLegacyFrameBuffer.kext
AMDLegacySupport.kext

If I remove these two the video drivers are missing and I get large icons... I tried added one back but won't boot.

The kext in the /Library/Extensions/ have not changed.

I'm not sure that these kexts are responsible for booting from the hard drive. I can't see why your system doesn't boot without them. Have you tried to just boot the system from your rescue thumb drive after clearing the Extensions folder, and then to use MultiBeast just for installing the FakeSMC.kext and see if it manages to boot?

As for the colors problem, if I understand correctly when you get the large icons you don't have the colors issue, right? If this is the case then it's one of these kexts (or both of them) that causes the issue.

That is correct I don't get the colors flashing anymore. And when I placed one of the two Kext back in the /Library folder it won't boot. I'm going to give up at this point and stick with El Capitan. It's a PITA that Apple has removed the OS from my purchases and can't DL a new build. :thumbdown

Thanks for the help. :clap:

Yep, sometimes it is best to stick with the latest build that just works for you. And not going in a rush to install the latest build out there.

As for Apple - they did this before and will continue to doing so. It just feels that they don't really care if you're good with what you already have or purchased - may it be the current OS build you're using. They will always force the users to upgrade to their latest release. UPDATE: See Stork's post below. It appears like Apple still offers Sierra for download from the link Stork's provided. I say - grad it as long as it's officially there for who knows when it'll be removed. :)

If you still wish to use Sierra (not High Sierra) then just install El Capitan and upgrade to Sierra with the same combo update which I used (all details are in my post). I'm currently using Sierra and don't have any problems with it. And I don't think that I'm going to upgrade to High Sierra any time soon. It just works for me the way it is.

I'm glad I could help.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back