Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition + 4690K + EVGA GTX 960 + El Capitan + Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great!

The sleep issue is pretty odd.. what system definition are you using? The correct one for the Haswell builds is iMac 14,2.. could possibly be a motherboard setting causing the issue.

As far as dual boot, I was having the worst time getting my UEFI version of Windows 10 to format and install onto a partition of the same boot drive as my OSX install. I instead used a spare 7200rpm HDD I had laying around.. it is much slower than my mac side of things, but I only use it to play Fallout 4 right now.

Easiest way to not confuse your UEFI in the motherboard is to disconnect the OSX SSD/boot drive from power and install Windows UEFI onto a separate drive. I didn't have any luck at all running a second partition on my SSD. Windows would fail on the "copying files" portion of the install.

When creating a bootable Windows 10 USB thumb drive, you have an option for MBR or UEFI install. Always choose UEFI with UEFI motherboards. MUCH faster boot times and compatibility with Clover.

I just checked and mine is currently 'Mac Pro 3,1'. Would it be good to change the definition in MultiBeast to iMac 14,2? (could that solve the sleep issue). I only changed the recommended settings on the motherboard when setting everything up (disable VT-d and CFG-lock in the BIOS/EFI).

And that makes sense about windows, that's just about where I was up to, I managed to force win 7 to do UEFI install but then couldn't get it to install on partition 2...
As I am trying to get everything done right from the start I am going to go pick up another 850 EVO tomorrow and will try win7 on there. If I still have no luck I will just download and install win10. Don't really want to upgrade from 7 just yet, but I guess its probably a good time since I have to set everything up from scratch anyway.

I just checked and mine is currently 'Mac Pro 3,1'. Would it be good to change the definition in MultiBeast to iMac 14,2? (could that solve the sleep issue). I only changed the recommended settings on the motherboard when setting everything up (disable VT-d and CFG-lock in the BIOS/EFI).

And that makes sense about windows, that's just about where I was up to, I managed to force win 7 to do UEFI install but then couldn't get it to install on partition 2...
As I am trying to get everything done right from the start I am going to go pick up another 850 EVO tomorrow and will try win7 on there. If I still have no luck I will just download and install win10. Don't really want to upgrade from 7 just yet, but I guess its probably a good time since I have to set everything up from scratch anyway.

I just updated the first post entirely (was working on it for about half an hour). I used MultiBeast only to install the basic drivers and used Clover Configurator to create the SMBIOS and to set the boot arg for the video card. Try and set to 14,2 and see if that helps fix the issue. Also, create the SSDT using the guide to enable lower CPU temps and more power states for the processor.

Windows 10 is pretty decent, depending on what your use is. It's pretty, that's for sure. It's also a free upgrade from your Win 7 key. Install Win 7 first then upgrade to Win 10.

Edit: Every time I edit my first (main) post, It doesn't show up for hours on end. Can any mods chime in on this? Thanks!

I'm considering this mobo, but need USB 3 to be confirmed working with USB 3 devices-- can you do that by any chance? :)

I just checked and mine is currently 'Mac Pro' 3,2. Would it be good to change the definition in multibeast to iMac 14,2? (could that solve the sleep issue). I only changed the recommended settings on the motherboard when setting everything up (disable VT-d and CFG-lock in the BIOS/EFI).

And that makes sense about windows, thats just about where I was up to, I managed to force win 7 to do UEFI install but then couldn't get it to install on partition 2...

...Edit: Every time I edit my first (main) post, It doesn't show up for hours on end. Can any mods chime in on this? Thanks!
You have one or more words in your post that are in our filters that are causing the post to await a moderator. Be patient, and your post will be approved. :thumbup:

However, if it's not approved in an hour, please use the Contact Us at the bottom of page so as to call it to the attention of the Admins and moderators who are on-line.

Awesome build! Looks stunning! I'm picking up the same mobo (it's just too good looking to ignore:lol:), CPU etc. as you tomorrow and was just wondering whether a GTX 970 would be a viable option instead of the 960? Does the brand of GPU matter e.g. MSI GTX 960/70?

Also, I'm a newbie in the hackintosh world and though most of your guide is clear, I was wondering whether you'd be able to post a much more detailed, step-by-step guide (post/pre-installation, BIOS settings etc.)

Thanks for your time and I can't wait to see more builds!

Awesome build! Looks stunning! I'm picking up the same mobo (it's just too good looking to ignore:lol:), CPU etc. as you tomorrow and was just wondering whether a GTX 970 would be a viable option instead of the 960? Does the brand of GPU matter e.g. MSI GTX 960/70?

Also, I'm a newbie in the hackintosh world and though most of your guide is clear, I was wondering whether you'd be able to post a much more detailed, step-by-step guide (post/pre-installation, BIOS settings etc.)

Thanks for your time and I can't wait to see more builds!

I will definitely take some screen shots of the UEFI settings.. there really are only 2 settings you need to change in the CPU options in order to get it working.. Overclocking is fairly straightforward, depending on what CPU cooler you're using. I've dialed it down to 4ghz at the moment because Windows 10 was having some issues loading system files with such a high overclock. OSX, however, had NO problems at 4.6ghz.

In regards to the 960/970 debate, the 960 holds its own for the price it's available at. I play Fallout 4 at Ultra settings with nearly no issues whatsoever. The 970 is something I would recommend if you're a hardcore PC gamer and it definitely has the best bang for the buck in comparison to say, a GTX980. Brand of card shouldn't matter, depending on your case/cooling setup as different manufacturers implement different cooling solutions. I'm a firm believer in EVGA cards because they offer top tier performance and look better than most other cards (especially with the included back plates). That's all up to speculation and taste though. The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler keeps my card VERY quiet and VERY cool.

Hi ! I just completed a build with the same board and almost the same pieces (GTX 970 and 4790K) and I'm having an issue with USB 3.0 ports. I can plug stuff and it works (my webcam is on them) but I can't get hard drives to work on it. Do you have the same issue as well?

Nice office by the way!:thumbup:

Hi ! I just completed a build with the same board and almost the same pieces (GTX 970 and 4790K) and I'm having an issue with USB 3.0 ports. I can plug stuff and it works (my webcam is on them) but I can't get hard drives to work on it. Do you have the same issue as well?

Sorry I just checked this.. yes I had 3.0 issues with my 5tb external hard drive.. I fixed it.. I just can't remember how.. Let me backtrace my steps then I'll reply tonight ;)

The Diva received an upgrade recently.. GTX 980ti.. I'll be ripping the cooler off and installing a closed loop AIO solution with EVGA Hybrid shroud very soon..

20160330_202935.jpg

I used the FakePCIID kexts provided by RehabMan:

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads

Install with KextBeast into Library/Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back